-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If anyone would like to share their 2015 hunt/pics I'm sure there are lots of folks who would love to read their story.
I'll go first.
I got this buck with my Bow about a week and a half ago, not a monster but a personal best for stick and string.
I was in my stand, and late afternoon I saw lots of deer moving on adjacent ridges, with one big 5x5 WT in the draw below me with a hot doe he wasn't leaving alone. they moved off kinda in my direction, but after 30 minutes of no show I gave up on them and continued to glass. I was facing downwind because of the high wind gusts that had come up when I heard a deep grunt, I turned and saw a doe dash by at 25 yards. I grabbed my bow from it's peg and turned and drew. sure enough that buck (I thought) was hot on her trail. I had to grunt at him 3 times before he stopped at 35 yards. I let fly and nailed him through the heart with a muzzy 100 gr broadhead. he dashed straight down the ridge for about a 100 yards before piling into a cedar. had to bone him out to get him home.
[Linked Image]

Fast forward to Rifle opener (last weekend) and I hunt some heavily hunted public land. opening morning I saw a decent 4x4 WT but wasn't going to punch my tag in the first 10 minutes of season. saw a bunch of does, way more hunters than deer and went home thinking I shoulda taken the nice buck I saw early.
Sunday evening I go out with my wife, I let her pick the stand she wants. she opted for a draw between two corn fields on another piece of public ground. I go to the top of a ridge overlooking a dry irrigation ditch and the fields way below me. when I get to the spot I'm going to sit I see a buck dash out of the small stand of cedars and down through the irrigation ditch. Halfway up the other side he stops (facing away), me already on one knee was on him, *click* forgot to chamber a round. I cycle the bolt quickly and as he turns to dash away I put a 95 grain NBT between the base of his ears, no ruined meat and DRT. not a big one, but plenty good for the area I was at, and yummy for the freezer. Now to get mama one...

[Linked Image]

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice work. The 95 grain Ballistic Tip is a killer, but then most bullets are when you part skull with them....

Way to go!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on two nice bucks.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'll go.

[Linked Image]

That's my archery buck. Got him on Friday the 13th after my buddy filled his archery tag on Halloween. It was a double feature.

I shoot a Diamond Marquis with NAP KillZone on top of a GT Hunter.

I was on an all day sit and early in the day I watched a buck chase an estrous doe up into a little slashing of woods where she milled around and bedded down for a bit and then trotted off. Just after noon I'd moved into a tree stand with a good view of that slashing and I saw this buck enter the woods and I could tell he was following the exact path this doe has travelled earlier in the day. His path would not afford me a shot so I took a chance and gave a soft grunt with the grunt tube. It worked and he changed course and offered me a broadside shot at 30 yards. I clipped his heart and he ran about 100 yards across a field and piled up. Easy track and easy access for the truck!

Here he his moments before I got my chance (clock was not reset for standard time)

[video:youtube]Mh7wpIpvnmg[/video]

Fast forward to this past Saturday and it's NY rifle opener. I'm in a Rhino ground blind on a gas pipeline with 300 yard shots north and south. I've got a Savage 111 in 30-06 with a Timney trigger shooting a 168g Nosler ballistic tip hand load off a Caldwell Dead Shot Field Pod rest.

Just before sunrise this joker pops out to the north at 70 yards and I put him down.

[video:youtube]gDqe-rUnqSs[/video]

Then around 11am a nice (to my eye) tall 8 pointer walks out about 200 yards to my south. The pipeline is only about 25 yards wide and he's not browsing so I have to make a quick decision. I put the first circle of my BDC reticle on the pocket and squeeze off a good shot. Here's a quick video of this guy from the night before I put my tag on him.

[video:youtube]jKTMENgasjo[/video]

I don't have much feedback from the shot, to me it looked almost like he hunched up a bit before he ran off, not a great confidence booster. But I crawl out of the blind and walk down the pipeline to where I think he was when I hit him and after a bit of pacing back and forth find the point of impact and there's great, bright red blood. I track the blood for all of 20 yards into some tall stuff and there he is. He's not a giant but he's my biggest and I'm very happy with him.

[Linked Image]

And here they are together in the truck

[Linked Image]

We do our own processing so I'll throw in a couple extra picture of the entry wound and some butterflied venison steaks!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by shawnmitchell; 11/22/15.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
heck of a season! I'm diggin the vid clips from the trail cams, I've never had luck getting mine to work right

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Nice Buck love the rack.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Big fan of video. Much cooler than stills for me. I'm using Bowning Dark Ops and like them a lot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations to the successful hunters. Those are some nice bucks.

Personally, I'm having the worst season in 13 years of owning this land, but I'm still trying.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 338rcm, 31 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,338
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.