Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I'm retired since April of this year and have more time on my hands than what-is-good-for-me, and enjoying every minute...
I have always wanted to take my favorite scopes that I use frequently, and set them up side-by-side on a 100 yard target (or so) and see which ones allowed my old eyes to see the most detail quickly/easily, with the least eye-strain. So, I did that today, with very surprising results!
Here's the test:
-- Had a bright day today, and I have a great birch tree about 100 yards from my back deck with all sorts of "detail" on the bark... various colors, imperfections, moss of different types, sizes, scars on the bark, etc., so I used it for the "target".
-- The scopes I used for comparison, which I sand-bagged and pointed-to the same section of tree, all at 9 power (for fairness) were:
- 3x9 Zeiss Conquest MC (5 yrs old)
- 3.5 x 10 Leupold VX III CDS (6 months old)
- 6 x 18 Vortex Viper HS LR (1 year old)
- 6 x 24 Tasco World Class Plus (20 yrs old, use for load-work-up)

So, after setting them at approx 9 power, the test began, and I really switched back and forth looking at all the details each scope was seeing, and judging my view of "clarity", "detail", and "lack of eye-strain".

Here's the results:
#1: The Zeiss... just ahead of number 2
#2: The Leupold: AND The Tasco!!!
#4" The Vortex

note: All of the above scopes were very, very satisfactory on their results, and are all "keepers", so all are still "in the club"...

Yep, the surprise to me of the day, was how high the Tasco came in, and I checked my results by changing position of the most-detailed target I could get, which differentiated the most.

Wow, who would have thought!!

With all the abuse Tasco gets on the internet, I felt like buying it a Christmas present of some type... maybe a better set of lens covers.... wink
Cheers!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Yeah, well imagine my surprise on getting a SS 3-9x42 and comparing it to my NF 2.5-10x32. To my eyes, the SS was clearer, brighter and all around better. The SS went on my .308 semiauto and the NF went down the road. Never been sorry. Looking at a SS 6x or 1-4x now for a new deer rifle. I see no point in deviating from success.

For what its worth, there was a Tasco scope made years ago that was the predecessor of the SS line, if I remember right. It was a government contract scope of some flavor. I don't remember if it was DOD or Fed LE that bought them.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Old_Crab,

Like you I retired this year. Also, like you I have a Tasco World Class 6-24X which surprises almost everyone who checks it out. In a similar test a few years ago it beat out my Sightron 3-15X when both were set on 15X. The ages of the guys who checked it were about 30, 40, and 60 years old.

But let's let the ignorant prejudice continue to be ignorantly prejudice. Afterall, I use it sometimes.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I think there were some jap made tascos yrs ago that had some pretty happy owners.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Ringman
Old_Crab,

Like you I retired this year. Also, like you I have a Tasco World Class 6-24X which surprises almost everyone who checks it out. In a similar test a few years ago it beat out my Sightron 3-15X when both were set on 15X. The ages of the guys who checked it were about 30, 40, and 60 years old.

But let's let the ignorant prejudice continue to be ignorantly prejudice. Afterall, I use it sometimes.

Amen! Like you, Ringman, I'm sure not going to sell mine after the test... It will continue in it's role of being my "load development" scope.

--- Will Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Amen! Like you, Ringman, I'm sure not going to sell mine after the test... It will continue in it's role of being my "load development" scope.

When my .223 stopped shooting tiny groups at 2,000 rounds I thought the barrel was wore out since I am used to magnums. My 'smith told me to put a different scope on it. I replaced the Burris Signature 8-32X with the Tasco. The next five made a .312" group.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
I'm retired since April of this year and have more time on my hands than what-is-good-for-me, and enjoying every minute...
I have always wanted to take my favorite scopes that I use frequently, and set them up side-by-side on a 100 yard target (or so) and see which ones allowed my old eyes to see the most detail quickly/easily, with the least eye-strain. So, I did that today, with very surprising results!
Here's the test:
-- Had a bright day today, and I have a great birch tree about 100 yards from my back deck with all sorts of "detail" on the bark... various colors, imperfections, moss of different types, sizes, scars on the bark, etc., so I used it for the "target".
-- The scopes I used for comparison, which I sand-bagged and pointed-to the same section of tree, all at 9 power (for fairness) were:

So, after setting them at approx 9 power, the test began, and I really switched back and forth looking at all the details each scope was seeing, and judging my view of "clarity", "detail", and "lack of eye-strain".

Here's the results:
#4" The Vortex

note: All of the above scopes were very, very satisfactory on their results, and are all "keepers", so all are still "in the club"...

Yep, the surprise to me of the day, was how high the Tasco came in, and I checked my results by changing position of the most-detailed target I could get, which differentiated the most.

With all the abuse Tasco gets on the internet, I felt like buying it a Christmas present of some type... maybe a better set of lens covers.... wink
Cheers!

Did you mean VX3? A VX III would be more than 6 months old.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Most scopes look good in bright daylight, and you can't readily differentiate quality under those conditions. Try the same test 20 minutes after sundown.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Most scopes look good in bright daylight, and you can't readily differentiate quality under those conditions. Try the same test 20 minutes after sundown.

I checked the NF against the Super Chicken under that exact condition and the NF came up wanting. If course, it would, because the larger objective lens and exit pupil of the SS trumped the NF's abilities.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Here's a problem with your challenge. Most 6-24X Tascos are not on hunting rifles. They are on varmint rifles. But to agree with your question I did what you are suggesting a couple years ago. I used a big game hunting Tasco 4-16X40. It might be interesting to note the Tasco stayed right with the 6500.

January 7, 2012
For my fun and entertainment I laid out some binoculars and two scopes on some sand bags for a low light comparison. After focusing the bins on the deer antlers 131 yards away I decided to see what was the lowest setting I could make out the forks with the scopes. My criteria was would I shoot at the deer which carried them? The exit pupils have been included to show how irrelevant they generally are.

Tasco World Class 4-16X40 @ 7X = 5.71 exit pupil
Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 @ 5 1/2X = 9.09 " "

After this I turned them up to 8X to match the Bushnell Ultra HD 8X42 and waited.

Binoculars Exit pupil

Minox 15X58 - 3.87mm
REI 10X32 - 3.2
Bush. 8X42 - 5.25

At 5:10 the 8X42 binocs and the scopes set on 8X were out.
Tasco on 8X = 5.00 exit pupil
6500 on 8X = 6.25 “ “

I turned up the scopes till I could make out the forks again.

Tasco - 14X = 2.86 exit pupil
6500 - 15X = 3.33 “ “

At 5:14 I had to turn up the scopes again.

Tasco - 16X - 2.5 exit pupil
6500 - 20X - 2.5 “ “

At 5:15 the REI 10X32 were out.

At 5:16 the Tasco and 6500 were out.

The Minox 15X lasted until 5:20.

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sure, Ringman. But your testing methodology also convinced you to claim -- in a classified ad, no less -- that your Z5 had "WAY better" glass than the Z3.

And we all know -- and Swarovski techs will confirm -- that both use the same glass and same coatings and that only the internals differ.

What separates the wheat from the chafe in low-light hunting scopes is the ability to resolve fine detail under poor lighting conditions. And just because a $50 scope can hang with a $500 scope at high noon doesn't mean it will hold true once the sun dips below the horizon.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
BobbyTomek,

Sure, Ringman. But your testing methodology also convinced you to claim -- in a classified ad, no less -- that your Z5 had "WAY better" glass than the Z3.

And we all know -- and Swarovski techs will confirm -- that both use the same glass and same coatings and that only the internals differ.

What separates the wheat from the chafe in low-light hunting scopes is the ability to resolve fine detail under poor lighting conditions. And just because a $50 scope can hang with a $500 scope at high noon doesn't mean it will hold true once the sun dips below the horizon.

What is your motive to confuse the issue here? I was responding to a question in the ad. It was not part of the original text.

I think you lack experience with Swarovski. To keep the z5 scope I have, I bought FOUR! z5 5-25X52. Numbers three and four were like a different cheaper brand compared to number one and four. Their low light performance was about like my Bushnell 6500, which is not as good as my Bushnell 4200. Number four was barely better than number one. I kept it.

The one I have is "WAY better" than the z3 I compared it to at the range. It was more like #3 & 4 above. It makes no difference how many times someone tells me they are not different, I know empirically they're not the same one scope to the next. My gunsmith was discussted with the quality control of Swarovski z5's. Apparently z3's vary also or my z5 would not have been better.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ringman wrote: "I think you lack experience with Swarovski."
---

Well, if you say so. Here are three Swaros that I am currently using. I've had several others in the past year alone as well, including a couple PH 2.5-10x42 and an AV 4-12x50.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
BobbyTomek,

You quoted me correctly. I said, "I think...." Now I will say I think you have not compared a few side by side and taken notes. I had lots of different scopes. I have no idea how they compared to each other because I didn't compare optics until a couple years ago.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
wrong again...and after having spent more than a quarter century relying on good glass to make a living, I can critically compare from an unbiased standpoint as well.

I am extremely picky when it comes to optics, too -- moreso than necessary, I might add.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
BobbyTomek,

wrong again...and after having spent more than a quarter century relying on good glass to make a living, I'll state I can critically compare from an unbiased standpoint, too.

I am extremely picky when it comes to optics, too -- moreso than necessary, I might add.

Then you would know empirically, like I do, that a Swarovski z5 can be way better than a Swarovski z3. If the z3 I compared my "good" z5 to was a "bad" z3 then that could be the reason it was infact what happened and you would not have gone into attack mode.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ringman-I didn't go into the attack mode and don't stoop to those levels. I simply pointed out indisputable fact.

Have a good day...

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Here's the test:

Here's the results:
#4" The Vortex

Cheers!

Did you mean VX3? A VX III would be more than 6 months old.

yes, a VX3 (I'm used to the old roman numerals)

--- Will Rogers
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek

Since 98% of my hunting is in very good daylight, I wanted to test these where/when I tend to be hunting.

--- Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
BobbyTomek,

Ringman-I didn't go into the attack mode and don't stoop to those levels. I simply pointed out indisputable fact.

Have a good day...

It seemed like an attack to me. What is the "indisputable fact" you are referring to?

Everyday Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 23 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,371
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.