Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Well I have made my 3rd FN made and SC assembled M70 purchase. My main goal for this one was one that could shoot lighter weight rounds for a general purpose coyote/deer/fox round. I decided on the 243 in a featherweight for the simple fact that it is a hunting platform in a lighter recoil caliber so the added weight in a sporter barrel or varmint barrel isn't needed for the type hunting I have around me. There are no multiple small varmint targets around like ground squirrels. Overall I'm thrilled about setting up a 2.5-8 power vx3 on it after the turn of the year if I'm lucky.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
GB1

blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The wood on the new one isn't as nice as the compact but didn't get this one for the looks at all. Gotta snag a 2.5-8 or another 3.5-10 at some point before spring!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I know zero about the SC FN hunting guns except they went to MOA trigger, I shot and zeroed the older FN Police Tact gun that had CRF and old style trigger and it was a shooting SOB! very best winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
I know zero about the SC FN hunting guns except they went to MOA trigger, I shot and zeroed the older FN Police Tact gun that had CRF and old style trigger and it was a shooting SOB! very best winpoor

My FN PBR XP was like that too winpoor. Damn tack driver. I'll bet this little 243 will be a great shooter too. Nice rifle blgoode..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need to sell some more crap to get on a good vx3!!

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
bl, when you get tired of that compact- give me a call smile

John

blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh I don't know.... I think I realise it has a good nitch fit for use smile

Why do you like it? I love that it is a good tree stand size.

I'll need to get my new .243 to have a 13" LOP at some point. New stock or a saw on this one YIKES!!!

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I'll be damned. I got a scope on the new featherweight!! I may hav to get the length of pull shortened so I can push the scope forward some. I have a short neck I guess and an on the smeller side so I've grown to love 13" LOP.

Still. The 2.5-8 VX3 seems to fit this rifle well.

[Linked Image]

My compact on top in the next picture. I'm really growing to like the balance on that compact!

[Linked Image]

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
The FN M70's are hard to beat! I have a safari express in 416 and a sporter in 25-06. I had a featherweight in 7x57 but ended up selling it because it would only shoot the 175's accurately.

Now looking for another to fill in the middle...leaning towards a 338 in the either the alaskan or super grade (approx. the same price).

What caliber is that compact in? How does it shoot?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
NICE!

I bought an XTR Featherweight a long time ago when they first came out in .243.....used it exclusively for years...loved it and I think the new FNs are even nicer!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What years & what model of the post 64 70's were FN made? Have been looking for a nice 308 for longer range targets and had been thinking Sako or Rem, but love my older pre-64 FW hunting guns. Don't see or hear too much about Winchester among the target shooters. Everything but at my club ... Rem, Savage, Ruger, Sako, etc. Good barrels and triggers?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Citori16
What years & what model of the post 64 70's were FN made? Have been looking for a nice 308 for longer range targets and had been thinking Sako or Rem, but love my older pre-64 FW hunting guns. Don't see or hear too much about Winchester among the target shooters. Everything but at my club ... Rem, Savage, Ruger, Sako, etc. Good barrels and triggers?

Citori, if you want a very good long range FN Herstal(Winchester model 70) rifle. Look at the FN PBR XP's. They chambered them in 300 WSM and 308 Winchester. I'd look for one with the oldstyle triggers like the pre 64 model 70's use. I had one chambered in 300 WSM and it was a tack driver. I sold it after they closed the range where I used to shoot centerfire competitons. Now they re-opened the range and I wish I had it back..:
[Linked Image]

5 shot group:
[Linked Image]

10 shot group:
[Linked Image]

Here's a good Sako, Remington 700 and FN PBR XP comparison article:

FN PBR XP

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1936M71, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,538
Posts18,453,065
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.