-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have 6 kimbers and 6 tikkas, when hunting time comes the kimbers get the nod.

GB1

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have both, and they both serve my purposes extremely well. In my view, the Tikka is a hunting tool and the Kimber is a hunting rifle. They both lock down the bolt when in the safe position, which is an absolute must-have for every hunting rifle that I own. Arguably, the Tikkas I have purchased have been more accurate out of the box than the Kimbers. The worst performer of the lot for me was a 280 AI Montana, but even that particular rifle delivered acceptable hunting accuracy. On the other hand, I have a Kimber Classic Select 06 that will run with my Tikkas at the range. With Kimber offering a Sub-MOA guarantee on their current production (read-we at Kimber are now paying more attention to accuracy issues with our rifles), I will be buying another Kimber in the near future. However, I still like both and have a need for both. CP.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Travis13
bsa, I agree about the EW, mine is wrapped in an edge and I didn't shoot it much in the B&C.

Bingo...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Of course the Ruger American kicks both of their azzes. grin

Lefty C

The detachable magazine is a joke, but still a nice rifle for $370. Like mine. However, pass the Kimber. Tikka offers me nothing with Kimber rifles in the safe.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Kimber - 8

Tikka - 2

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm a practical cheapskate. Tikka all day long. There's nothing it won't do that the Kimber won't at 2/3 the cost.
I use Craftsman instead of Snapon.
Buick instead of Mercedes or BMW.
Costco coffee instead of some foo foo bean freshly groud.
On and on.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smarquez
I'm a practical cheapskate. Tikka all day long. There's nothing it won't do that the Kimber won't at 2/3 the cost.
I use Craftsman instead of Snapon.
Buick instead of Mercedes or BMW.
Costco coffee instead of some foo foo bean freshly groud.
On and on.

Have you ever owned a Kimber?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I own 3 kimbers- 260, 7mm-08 and 280 AI, they have beautifully made stocks, great triggers, slim, light, great handling rifles that shoot very well when held appropriately.

I own 4 Tikkas- 223 1-8 twist, 260, 6.5x55, and 308win, they all have slick actions with ok basic stocks, good triggers, and shoot well and are twisted correctly.

I shoot the Tikkas more at the range, but carry the Kimbers more in the field.

I like them both for what they are, but they are not in the same class.

Last edited by lhead71; 11/22/15.

Enough already, just shoot it!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lhead71
I own 3 kimbers- 260, 7mm-08 and 280 AI, they have beautifully made stocks, great triggers, slim, light, great handling rifles that shoot very well when held appropriately.

I own 4 Tikkas- 223 1-8 twist, 260, 6.5x55, and 308win, they all have slick actions with ok basic stocks, good triggers, and shoot well and are twisted correctly.

I shoot the Tikkas more at the range, but carry the Kimbers more in the field.

I like them both for what they are, but they are not in the same class.

All that slappin of the jaw and no vote???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hig,

You chumming the water grin ?

I've had 5 of the Tikklers and only 1 of the Kimbers. But, I'd give 2 of the T3's for one Montana, and basically did just that when I sold my Tikkas.

But the Tikkas are half the price of a Kimber. And shoot great, with a good trigger and the best plastic stock in their price range and more.

Still, it's hard to argue with the Canadian Rangers. As you may know they chose the Tikka and run in the harshest of conditions. I'd rather have the No. 4 Mk. I myself but it's hard to argue with the Rangers.

A New Rifle For The Rangers

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Some of the elite, the Canadian Rangers...

[Linked Image]
On the 8th of May 2015, The Honourable Judith Guichon, OBC, Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia, visited the 4th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group Basic and Advance Canadian Ranger Training. Her Honour had the opportunity to meet the Canadian Ranger Staff and Candidates at CFB Albert Head (near Victoria, BC) and observe a portion of their training.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Canucks tested the T3 to NATO standards for Ranger use. This included temperature extremes. Any doubts to it's suitability should be put to rest.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IDMilton
I really like a lot about the Montanas. But I read (here) that in the event of a case rupture, they don't handle the gas well.

I also read (here) about a guy who put a 308 in his 270 Tikka T3 and was fine.

I don't plan on having any problems like that, but just to be safe, I sold my Kimbers. (I also don't do any big back packing trips anymore.)

I started thinking what if one of my kids puts a 243 in the 7-08, or a ...

I know I'm being weird and it probable won't happen and common sense and training would make the chance of a gas event even more remote, but I still got rid of them.

Milt,

My opinion is that neither the T3 or Montana are that great at handling stray gas. We had a local guy get gas and metal in his face from a T3. And similar anecdotal reports for the Kimber.

If I wanted a safer action, I'd be looking at a Salvage, Remington, or Ruger American. But that is just my opinion based on simple observations. And I could be flat out wrong.

Jason

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only way I would take a Kimber is for re-sale if I got it cheap enough. $hittiest factory gun I ever dealt with (accuracy) and expensive to boot.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned both. Kimber all day long. Too much plastic on the t3.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have only owned 1 Tikka personally but 4 Kimber Montanas....(still own 3).

Tikkas are a great gun for the money, but I prefer the Kimbers.

Tikkas are roughly 20% heavier than a Kimber Montana and I don't appriecate the fact that TIkkas aren't on a true short action when one orders a T3 in a short action chambering so you really aren't saving any weight there other than it comes with a shorter barrel. smile

Honestly, can't really go wrong with either as they both work. However if I lost all my Kimbers and didn't replace them with new Montanas then I would likely replace them with el cheapo Ruger Americans than the Tikka personally....but yes I do realize that Kimbers are nearly 3X the cost of a Ruger American wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fotis
The only way I would take a Kimber is for re-sale if I got it cheap enough. $hittiest factory gun I ever dealt with (accuracy) and expensive to boot.

Did you buy it or did it belong to someone else?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Kimber -10

Tikka - 2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've owned to Kmbers and they both were a POS.

My TIKKA T3 Superlite and Sako A7 all produce sub MOA groups and are consistent shooters with factory and my best hand loads. I just returned from an expensive Montana guided hunt. The TIKKA went and performed as expected. Days expensive deer by the way. Had to leave that sucker with a taxidermist.

I'm going on another guided deer hunt in a few days. Guess what rifles are going. A RARR in 300 BO will be one. Gotta hammer something with that sweet little rifle.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Higbean

For the guys that have both or have had both;

Which one wins?

I don't consider them comparable.

But the Kimber wins regardless.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

222 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 2UP, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 27 invisible), 1,278 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,540
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.