Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by Double_D
Originally Posted by Higbean
Kimber - 15

Tikka - 7

Since you can buy 2 Tikka for every 1 Kimber, makes it dead heat

Kimber by a nose at the wire

HAHA....I often hear that.

But whenever I look on gunbroker average retail for a Montana is roughly $1050-$1150 (yes you can find better deals at times) while average retail on a stainless Tikka T3 seems to be $650 to $750....so not exactly 2 for 1 unless my math is fuzzy. smile

What's a Teeka stock worth, 40 bucks?

Dave

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I own 3 Kimber's, a 7-08, a 308, and a 270 all Montanas. I just picked up my first Tikka, it's a T3 CTR Stainless in 260. For range use the CTR may get the call but for hunting and which one I wouldn't part with my vote is Kimber....

Roll Tide Roll, now lets go hunting!!!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RDW
What's a Teeka stock worth, 40 bucks?

Well, if you price the Sako Carbonlite ($2,800 laugh laugh laugh ) compared to a Finnlite, Beretta must think a good stock like the Montana comes with is worth $1,200 or so.

So, a Montana stock ALONE is worth two Tikkas laugh

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The
Originally Posted by pigster
Pardon my ignorance. If Kimber is such a wonderful machine, why we don't see them pimped out among the snipershide crowd? Those guys are rather anal about their equipment. A whole sub forum is dedicated to the T3 and aftermarket modifications.

Lots of cowboys ride plastic saddles in today world.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by StoneCold
A simple bedding job is only an example - for a rifle that is "bedded" already. Don't forget all the other tweaks, and fitting, and load development, and don't forget to take out the set screw that maintains the firing pin adjustment and loctite it. And....

Pass the Tikka and just f'in' shoot....

SC

Oh, I don't know....the last Kimber I worked with involved getting a scope screwed on straight, grabbing ammo loaded for a different rifle, and shooting 5 shots in an inch @ 100.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree. They aren't even in the same league. But, for whatever reason, anytime a Montana is brought up, somebody always makes the recommendation to just buy a Tikka. Now, I have both and have hunted extensively with the Tikka, and I do like them, but I sure can't see any reason to consider the Tikka an alternative to the Kimber.

My guess is that most guys that would recommend the Tikka as an alternative have not ever handled, owned or even shot one. But hey it's the fire, and when given a choice between a Kimber and a Tikka, we get several votes for the Ruger American Rifle.

Go figure...

It's Kimber Denial for some of those Tikkler owners. They're tempted by the Montana but won't commit and justify the Tikka. They just don't seem to realize it.

Others have had both and still choose the Tikka. I don't understand it but at least they realize that the two designs are in completely different classes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As has already been said, if you get a good one - all is well.

I'll stick with my pos tikka.

SC

"You only know one thing for sure about a broken down old man........He's the survivor...."

Incoming rounds have the right of way.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTDT, Kimber 84M Montana wins hands down.

Tikka's have without a doubt earned a reputation for accuracy at an affordable price. The actions are extremely slick, feed flawlessly, and have good triggers that are easily adjustable. They're fairly light and balance well IMO....

I can see where many would feel there's a lot of value for the $$, even if they aren't beauty queens and despite the extensive use of plastic.

However, after owning a few and handling/shooting several others, I simply couldn't warm up to the extensive use of plastic parts (and got rid of them in short order) as well as a few other aspects that turned me off.

1. Liberal use of plastic parts (trigger guard, mags, bolt shroud) {shrouds cracked on a couple rifles I owned}
2. Detachable Clip (not my cup of tea on a hunting rifle)
3. Hard to load from the breech
4. Action Length..... only 1
5. Plunger ejector and a hook style extractor

And the synthetic stock in particular exhibits too much flex and feels flimsy....

After owning and hunting with them I came to the conclusion that the Tikka's simply weren't what I wanted and desired in a hunting rifle.

YMMV

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never even seen or heard of a Montucky Bob.

Last "bad"one I saw/shot,had front base issues...in regards to the barrel shank. But that's been a "whole"few weeks ago and perhaps they've "changed".

Laughing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You gals REALLY "know" your stuff.

Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess. Hint.

Wow +P+!.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We were inches away from having a couple of fun Montana's straight from the factory. They said no to the 8" twist Montana, no to the Creedmoor and they nixed the 7-08 from the line.

I guess they're banking their future on the Bob and the 270WSM?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Darrik, dropping the 7-08 just seems beyond stupid.

Bad enough they quit the 260.

A fast twist 22-250 MT would be uber.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep, glad I found one this past weekend at a great price!

I can't like the Tikka either, too cheap/plasticky/etc. I started out with Savages, so I know all about cheap/ugly/plastic rifles that shoot. But neither has the "character" I prefer.

I've never owned one, but guess my vote counts anyway since folks who never owned a Montana seem to think their Tikka votes should count...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i have a Hunter model tikka. i think i liked it a little more when i first got it. i agree about the plastic and all. the detachable mag is ok. wish it was easier to load from the top also. never held a Kimber but im wanting to buy another rifle next year and may check em out a local shop carries some

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
These "vs" threads crack me up.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm certain the Montana is more than a nice rifle.

What I want to know is, what will the Montana offer me that my Tikkas don't? If I can come up with a realistic value I'll gladly take the Montana plunge. The Tikka mag is a non issue for me. I always carry a spare mag loaded and ready.

Just to be clear I'm not saying there isn't a real world advantage to the Montana vs the Tikka T3. I've certainly not ruled the Montana out. If anyone would expound more on what the advantages are I'm all ears.

One thing is certain. I'm going to have to see some real world advantages to make the leap because the Montana does cost twice as much.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Shodd

What I want to know is, what will the Montana offer me that my Tikkas don't? If I can come up with a realistic value I'll gladly take the Montana plunge. The Tikka mag is a non issue for me. I always carry a spare mag loaded and ready.

Just to be clear I'm not saying there isn't a real world advantage to the Montana vs the Tikka T3. I've certainly not ruled the Montana out. If anyone would expound more on what the advantages are I'm all ears.

One thing is certain. I'm going to have to see some real world advantages to make the leap because the Montana does cost twice as much.

Shod

Have you handled a Montana? If you can't tell any difference then you might as well stay with Tikka.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Shodd

Shod

It's lighter.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Montana can be had on gunbroker for $1,100, Tikka for $675, not twice as much, math don't lie.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I paid full retail for my .223 Montana and not once have I wished I had two Tikkas...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I agree. They aren't even in the same league. But, for whatever reason, anytime a Montana is brought up, somebody always makes the recommendation to just buy a Tikka. Now, I have both and have hunted extensively with the Tikka, and I do like them, but I sure can't see any reason to consider the Tikka an alternative to the Kimber.

My guess is that most guys that would recommend the Tikka as an alternative have not ever handled, owned or even shot one. But hey it's the fire, and when given a choice between a Kimber and a Tikka, we get several votes for the Ruger American Rifle.

Go figure...

It's Kimber Denial for some of those Tikkler owners. They're tempted by the Montana but won't commit and justify the Tikka. They just don't seem to realize it.

Others have had both and still choose the Tikka. I don't understand it but at least they realize that the two designs are in completely different classes.

What would you do if Mary Alice was leaning over your shoulder flexing all of her 175 pounds with the "stare" telling you to buy the cheap one or you're cut off for 6 months? laugh

Originally Posted by Techsan
Montana can be had on gunbroker for $1,100, Tikka for $675, not twice as much, math don't lie.

LOL...it lies if you know Mary Alice. Then anything cheaper can be justified as being better, even with funny math.

As for me, I don't know Mary Alice but I know she exists. In the future I'll continue to cull that "special" type of women and I'll continue to buy Kimbers.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.