-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a few knives that have seen use and are sharp but dont have that crazy razor edge that they had when new. I have a lanski but think maybe a strop would be a better way to get them back to that razor edge they once had.

Can anyone educate me on what to get, where to get it and the proper way to use it?

Seems like I heard that they improve with use and that a used barber strap is ideal. Is this true?

Thanks

Last edited by passport; 11/16/15.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Strop... Check out stropman.com for strops and compounds.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for pointing out the spelling! I will check that link.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lansky does make a strop thing for their system. I picked one up at Cabelas. Does a good job for what it is.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just use a strip of leather laced with either Semi Chrome or the dross off of the finest stone you use sharpening.
Gets them to a final shaving sharp and you can touch them up a couple times with the strop and go back to cutting.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MOGC
Strop... Check out stropman.com for strops and compounds.

I bought my strop from these folks. Two sided, I use black course compound on one side and green fine on the other.

With a proper knife edge in place I use the strop for an occasional "tune up".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I buy strop compound from Stropman, but I get my strops from Flexxx. I like the guy, like his products.
One thing that I do like a lot, but don't see much about, is a length of heavy, tanned, finished leather, as a final strop. I use a piece of an old black dress belt to put that finishing touch on a blade.

http://www.flexstrops.com/

Sam......

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by passport
I have a few knives that have seen use and are sharp but dont have that crazy razor edge that they had when new. I have a lanski but think maybe a strop would be a better way to get them back to that razor edge they once had.

Can anyone educate me on what to get, where to get it and the proper way to use it?

Seems like I heard that they improve with use and that a used barber strap is ideal. Is this true?

Thanks

Everyone has their way of doing things or opinion and this is mine. Unless you are dealing with convex edges, what you want is a very hard substrate for your strop. This is going to help prevent your rounding the apex of your edge and destroying what you achieved with your stone sharpening....which is easy to do on something soft like leather unless you are really careful. More than one guy has created a beautiful, highly polished, dull edge with a loaded strop.

I suggest you take a piece of printer paper or newspaper and wrap it and hold it TIGHTLY around a sharpening stone or glue it to a block of scrap wood or even a paint stirring stick. Get some green buffing compound from Lowes or where ever and rub it on the paper. Strop on that. After a few uses when the paper gets loaded toss it and start over. Some people use a clean piece of paper or newspaper with no compound for a finisher. When I used to strop, I got better results this way and I think this is better than the typical store bought or home made strops and as a bonus costs practically nothing....its a Murray Carter trick.

Unless you are working with convex edges, a barber strop on anything that "gives" is a bad idea and is liable to frustrate the hell out of you. Forget the image of a barber going to town on a razor strop with rapid back and forth strokes....he is convexing a thin, acute angled razor blade....you want slow and deliberate with VERY light pressure. The idea is you are refining the edge on a microscopic level, removing tiny burrs from an already very sharp knife. You are not setting the edge which should have been done on the stone. Don't over do it. A few strokes a side should be enough.

All that said, if you are not getting "crazy razor edges" on your stone setup be it jig or free hand something is amiss and you need to figure out what it is. The usual culprits are failure to completely apex the edge or leaving burrs AKA wire edges. Over the years I have come to believe that stropping is an effective crutch for not so great work on your stones. It helps sometimes but is not ideal. Lots of people do it though and you have to find out what works for you.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use green compound

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
I use green compound

Ditto

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A friend of mine uses valve grinding compound from auto parts place on a old piece of leather glued to a wooden dowel. I use the filament out of a high pressure sodium light bulb. I have a couple of them. Pm me your address and I will send you one. It will sharpen a fairly sharp knife to a ball shaving razors edges.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I like a toothy edge. Lot of times on my hunting knives I use valve grinding compound on a wore out diamond lap.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

96 members (35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 14 invisible), 969 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.