Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
jorgeI,

In other words you are caught with no defence.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I think we are talking different issues. My "tie-in" was not to an accuracy test, but in reference (or so I thought) to barrel-break in, which in my opinion, is nonsense.

As to the accuracy protocol, I cannot say I've ever shot TEN shots for an accuracy test for t reasons specified. For load development, if I get consistent accuracy with say three or four independent three shot groups (using identical but fresh targets for each group)and realistic velocities through a chrono, then the rifle and load have satisfied my parameters for what I expect out of a hunting rifle. And if and when I decide to take a rifle on a hunt, depending on the animal and distances, I will take it out to two hundred and all the way out to 370 yards, which is the limit of my place. That said, I'm sure someone (mathman) will chime in to tell me there is a difference between shooting ten shots at one target or three, three shot groups at three different targets..

All you need to do is try it a few times.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would just like to see how one can factually explain the difference between three shot groups shot three times at different targets and one ten shot group at the SAME target, but allowing cooling time between each three shot session, or maybe two five shot groups, but I have to tell you and you probably know this, if you are shooting overbore, a three shot group is about all you can do before the barrel gets way too hot.

As to Ringman, "caught at what'? that said, I'm sorry your reading comprehension is that of a single-celled amoeba, in an oxygen starved petri dish...

Last edited by jorgeI; 11/25/15.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Try the empirical route.

As I began to shoot a lot more the last few years I moved from the camp you're in to the one I'm in now.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I can only suggest that you try it....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As to Ringman, "caught at what'? that said, I'm sorry your reading comprehension is that of a single-celled amoeba, in an oxygen starved petri dish..

When you don't have an argument use ad hominem. Works every time.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Math: While I have no doubt your method is far more scientific (and precise than mine), I see no redeeming social value in shooting ten shot groups at a clip (even with cooling) when my established process has met my goals, modest as they might be, but it works for me.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bud Gills,

Congrats on your purchase. It's always nice when things work out the way you hoped.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ad hominem? (did you google that?) as in your OP to me.

That said, sn argument to what, that there is ZERO evidence that shoot-clean-shoot has ANY effect on rifle accuracy? For chrissakes you're obtuse.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll do what the mood strikes me,sometimes sitting there and grinding out a 6-10 shot group(certainly not every time. I only do something like that with a brand new rifle or load). But it doesn't take too much of this to get a handle on the measure of a rifles accuracy potential with a given load at that distance.

And sitting at 100 yards grinding out groups(whether 3 shots or 10) only tells you so much,as it pertains to hunting. It doesn't qualify as "practice" IMO except for trigger pulling. Of far more value to me are series of 3 shot groups at 300-600 yards. The faster I get off 100 yards with a rifle and load the happier I am.

Mostly because at any reasonable hunting distances,if you have to reach deeper than 3 shots the wheels have fallen off and you got other problems.

If it ( and you) do well at those distances, how it does at 100 yards becomes essentially irrelevant. If you aren't going to miss at 300-600,you certainly aren't going to miss at 100......or shouldn't.

This is from a hunting standpoint. These aren't target rifles we're shooting. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Precisely, but Ringdick, in his infinite "wisdom" not only can't comprehend, but decided to be a rectal orifice with his first post.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I guess I wasn't very clear in my post, all I was doing was breaking in the barrel cleaning after every shot, letting the gun cool down as I had six other rifles to shoot and the temp was 40 deg.
Every shot was made at the same aiming point on the same target so as not to waste targets, I was not trying to make a bragging group so I could come here and gloat.
I break in every new barrel whether anyone agrees or not.... why because its my nickel, if you want to do otherwise with your rifles have at 'er..
I did not post to start a fight over the pros and cons of barrel break-in..

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Math: While I have no doubt your method is far more scientific (and precise than mine), I see no redeeming social value in shooting ten shot groups at a clip (even with cooling) when my established process has met my goals, modest as they might be, but it works for me.

I don't shoot them all the time either. With my sporters if I can consistently bust clay birds with a 6x scope out to whatever distance I want I'm good with it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bud Gills
I guess I wasn't very clear in my post, all I was doing was breaking in the barrel cleaning after every shot, letting the gun cool down as I had six other rifles to shoot and the temp was 40 deg.
Every shot was made at the same aiming point on the same target so as not to waste targets, I was not trying to make a bragging group so I could come here and gloat.

Bud, I think most of us knew that... wink

We just like to obsess over tiny nuances. Not just rifle groups...just about anything will do smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
jorgeI,

Ad hominem? (did you google that?) as in your OP to me.

I actually took some lessons in laws of logic. That's where I learned about it. You are guilty.

That said, sn argument to what, that there is ZERO evidence that shoot-clean-shoot has ANY effect on rifle accuracy?

I agree with you.

For chrissakes you're obtuse.

See response above.

Everyday Hunter
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Used three shot groups and no barrel break-in on this rifle. Seemed to do ok.

Winchester M 70 Featherweight 7x57 Mauser and a old 4x Weaver.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
El bingo. A little messkin' lingo mixrd in...

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would just like to see how one can factually explain the difference between three shot groups shot three times at different targets and one ten shot group at the SAME target, but allowing cooling time between each three shot session

Let me give it a whirl by asking you to conduct an experiment next time you shoot. Take three identical targets, each with a three-shot group and all with the same aiming point. Take the average group size of those three.

Next, lay those targets on top of each other so that all nine holes (I'll spot you the tenth) can be seen. You might have to use one target as a base and then lay each of the others on it individually and mark the hole locations on the base target with a sharpie. Now measure that group size and see how it compares with your first average. I bet there's a significant difference.

Last edited by 8SNAKE; 11/25/15.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You can fling enough 3 shot groups to luck into a .5 group, and then claim you finally shot as good as your rifle, etc.... 5, or better yet 10 shot groups will tell you exactly the health of your rifle, bedding, load, optic, and mounts.

That's the only reason I shoot groups.. to make sure everything is doing what it's supposed to do.

Last edited by Calvin; 11/25/15.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.