Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
My biggest complaint is the wrap-around hipbelt... if you could offer the option of a beefy fixed lumbar pad with a pass-behind belt that would be great. More load stability.

Funny you mention that. It certainly goes to show how much about packs is personal preference and build, much like boots I guess. One of my favourite features of the packs is the hip belt and suspension. I've never had a pack that carries as well heavy, or 'stays put' on my body under load, like my Evolution does.

It's got to be partially dependent on a person's build and how a guy loads up/adjusts a pack? Some guys love the lumbar pads, others prefer the full wrap... Just interesting to me... smile

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
So far, I am VERY impressed with my July/15 made Divide and am hoping to buy an Evolution 6300 soon, just need to save the $$$$$.

I have owned/used a LOT of higher end packs since my first in 1968 and bought my first after 12 years of backpacking here in BC.

I find the current belt to work better than almost any I have had and I still agree with Brad, as having the two options would be a definite benefit to the total community of Paradox users, IMHO.

All in all, I consider this pack in its simple functional design to be a brilliant piece of work and I wish I had one decades ago.

G
G
Hi folks,

I've been lurking for 15 years but I've never felt compelled to post anything until now.

I've used a 6300 Evo since 2013. My best friend and girlfriend have bought the same pack based on my recommendation. I've also just ordered another one for myself. I've used/abused several packs from arcteryx to mystery ranch over the years. I've only packed 4 sheep, one mountain caribou and a moose in my Evo 6300, but thats enough for me to form an educated opinion on the pack. Flat out, it's the best pack I've ever used (works for me, maybe not for you).

Anyway, my question is kinda contrary to what most people are asking. I'd like to get a bag bigger than a 6300. Say 7500 ish? I find I can easily max out the volume on a 6300 with a quartered sheep and cape in it. The pack is already so light that I would gladly get a bag that weighs a few ounces heavier if I could fit more meat in it.

My only complaint is that the extensions are starting to poke through the top of the material that goes over the top of them. Maybe carrying a load of 145 pounds of mountain caribou was too much for the pack? I'm going to put gorilla tape in that spot but I think it should be reinforced from the start.

Cheers,

Matt

K
Kevin_T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Matt , shoot us an email and we can get a new top piece out. We did reinforce it after the first year as they were mostly susceptible to external abrasion. Thanks for the feedback. How much more volume are you looking for ? Internal or External volume ?

Thanks

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Originally Posted by Brad
My biggest complaint is the wrap-around hipbelt... if you could offer the option of a beefy fixed lumbar pad with a pass-behind belt that would be great. More load stability.

Funny you mention that. It certainly goes to show how much about packs is personal preference and build, much like boots I guess. One of my favourite features of the packs is the hip belt and suspension. I've never had a pack that carries as well heavy, or 'stays put' on my body under load, like my Evolution does.

It's got to be partially dependent on a person's build and how a guy loads up/adjusts a pack? Some guys love the lumbar pads, others prefer the full wrap... Just interesting to me... smile

Kinda where I am. The wrap around belt just flat out works for me. Now I don't carry 100 lb. loads but have a little experience with a loaded Dana Designs Terraplane. As good a pack as that is, with a great track record, it doesn't ride on me like the Paradox does. I've tried some Kelty's, Eberlestocks, the DD, nothing feels like the Paradox.
I'm largely content with mine. Glad the Talons are still available in blaze.

I know this is small but I do wish there was some way to reasonably attach a sheath knife or holster to a hip belt. If there is, I haven't found it and have mostly come to the conclusion I'll have to make some Kydex contraption for that purpose. As it is, I have a sheath knife hanging from a strap around the shoulder strap.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
Matt , shoot us an email and we can get a new top piece out. We did reinforce it after the first year as they were mostly susceptible to external abrasion. Thanks for the feedback. How much more volume are you looking for ? Internal or External volume ?

Thanks

Same thing here RE the abrasion... sending email! smile

I love my Paradox. The hip belts work.

The Talon is awesome because it acts like an extension for the compression straps.

I am finding that I have zero interest in a larger Talon or using teh Talon as a day pack at all because the Paradox frame + bag by itself is so easily compressible to the size of a day pack as it is AND MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE.

I find that I would much rather just empty the contents of my main pack into my hammock (or tarp or garbage bag), leave those in camp and then add the "day pack use items" to the main bag and carry the whole thing compressed to practically just the frame, no Talon.

That is why I bought the the Paradox pack system to begin with --> it is so light that it can be the "day pack" itself also.
This is not so if your frame + pack's weight is 6 to 10 lbs when it is empty.

Last edited by alukban; 12/01/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alukban

I find that I would much rather just empty the contents of my main pack into my hammock (or tarp or garbage bag), leave those in camp and then add the "day pack use items" to the main bag and carry the whole thing compressed to practically just the frame, no Talon.

That is why I bought the the Paradox pack system to begin with --> it is so light that it can be the "day pack" itself also.
This is not so if your frame + pack's weight is 6 to 10 lbs when it is empty.

This is what I did last year in Idaho. Like you, one of the reasons I bought this pack, so as to eliminate the need for a daypack if the possibility of packing meat exists.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Kevin,

Do you have any pictures and/or info on the- PRECIPICE 6700?

K
Kevin_T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Photos: Not that I can share at the moment. I likely won't have good photos, other than crappy field testing photos I have shot for 2 - 3 weeks of anything more than prototype / sample. I really like the bag though, I will say that.

The basic details are full side zip to the collar, with dual sliders. Super easy access and loading. Dual side pockets that are sort of hard to explain. They are plenty large. Basically, imagine a water bottle pocket extending to near the top, but split it in the middle so it can be two pockets, or one full length pocket. That way it works full length for a tripod or rifle, or can be split like water bottle in the bottom / rain or puffy jacket or a camp stove, or water filter, or essential pouch in the top. I hope that makes sense

Wish I had more to share.

Thanks for the interest.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
When I use my Paradox as a day bag I simply leave the main bag behind and put all my stuff in the lid and talon. I only use the bag when I do multiple day trips, and even then I often leave the bag in camp. Then when I shoot something I put it in game bag and compress it on the pack with the talon. The lid is on top of everything.

The lid I have is pretty big and I fill it with what I need for the day. I put my water bottle behind the talon and put game bags, saw, scope etc in the talon.

And I too like the waist belt. I used to have issues with my old pack where the belt would slide down over my hip bones and I had to really tighten the shoulder straps. Not so with the Paradox - I find the belt works GREAT.

Patrick

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gunslinger4570

Anyway, my question is kinda contrary to what most people are asking. I'd like to get a bag bigger than a 6300. Say 7500 ish?

Welcome, Matt. smile

I'll strongly second your suggestion for a larger bag. I have the 6300 myself and have zero interest in a smaller bag. Week+ trips, late season hunts, packing meat, winter camping, or even taking my kids out and carrying as much of their gear as possible to increase their enjoyment... I have no problem maxing out the 6300. Larger bags really add so little weight in the big picture...

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Anyway, my question is kinda contrary to what most people are asking. I'd like to get a bag bigger than a 6300. Say 7500 ish?

Welcome, Matt. smile

I'll strongly second your suggestion for a larger bag. I have the 6300 myself and have zero interest in a smaller bag. Week+ trips, late season hunts, packing meat, winter camping, or even taking my kids out and carrying as much of their gear as possible to increase their enjoyment... I have no problem maxing out the 6300. Larger bags really add so little weight in the big picture...

I wonder what are the exact weight differences between the various sized pack bags.

What are we talking about? 4 oz more between 4800 and 6300?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alukban
I wonder what are the exact weight differences between the various sized pack bags.

What are we talking about? 4 oz more between 4800 and 6300?

http://store.seekoutside.com/backpack-technical-details/BackpackDetails

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can that new long pocket be added to packs that don't have the full zip feature? If the full zip had a double way zip that would be different. Being able to open up from the bottom or the top would increase how you use the full zip.

I find that in my use the nk zip in backpacking trips was working better as I don't get in and out as much and the side zip worked better on hunt type outings. But I'm not sure the full zip would interest me. But that pocket kind of does.

The x pack material I'm sold on for my use. The benefits far outweigh the negatives. I hate to think of a trip now that the material soaks up rain if backpacking and blood if hunting.

Last edited by blgoode; 12/03/15.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
K
Kevin_T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for the feedback. Those from the far north, how much more CI are you looking for ? Would taller or wider work better ?

Thanks

K
Kevin_T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by blgoode
Can that new long pocket be added to packs that don't have the full zip feature? If the full zip had a double way zip that would be different. Being able to open up from the bottom or the top would increase how you use the full zip.

I find that in my use the nk zip in backpacking trips was working better as I don't get in and out as much and the side zip worked better on hunt type outings. But I'm not sure the full zip would interest me. But that pocket kind of does.

The x pack material I'm sold on for my use. The benefits far outweigh the negatives. I hate to think of a trip now that the material soaks up rain if backpacking and blood if hunting.

It has dual sliders and can open from the top and bottom. I showed it to a hunter friend yesterday and he loved it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the feedback. Those from the far north, how much more CI are you looking for ? Would taller or wider work better ?

Thanks

For backpack hunting in BC, the Territories and Alberta, I want 7500 cu.in. as a basic pack size.

I also like this size for winter camping and might well buy two, one bright coloured and one in olive or Multicam, for hunting, etc.

I seldom need a big pack like this, but, when one does, its like packing a gun, you REALLY need it! I hate strapping gear all over the outside of my packs.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I'd say one thing about capacity, not all packs are rated the same. I think the Paradox 6300 is a pretty friggen big bag. I have owned other 7500 ci bags that weren't as big and I have owned 5500 ci bags that were at least 2000ci smaller than the Paradox 6300.
I personally can't imagine ever needing a larger bag than the 6300.

Ed T

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Thanks

Kevin - a 7,000 to 7,500 ci bag would be sweet. My vote would be for taller. I currently have the 6300 evo. Used it to pack out 90lbs when my daughter got a goat. For my body shape the wrap around hip belt is awesome. The three piece belts with a lumbar pad slip down my hips when the pack is heavy and I start sweating.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The roll top with no side zip for more weather protection is great, especially when you have to bush whack through snowy balsams:

[Linked Image]

Bruce

"There'll be no quitters till we bag some critters."
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D

Welcome, Matt. smile

Yes please a 7k + bag would be awesome

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.