Print Thread
Hop To
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
After selling off my .58, I'm shopping for a new gun.

In the process of assessing new guns I stumbled across something interesting on the used rack. It's an old, discontinued TC percussion gun.

What should I look for that would tell me not to buy it?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Rust and pitting

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Run a patch down the bore and see if it's smooth, rough, dirty, rusty.
A buddy would get a lighted arrow knock, turn it on and drop it down the bore for a better view. (I need a few too)
Can you remove the nipple or is it dirty and rusted in place.

Which TC?

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess for me, it would depend what I was going to do with it. If it was to be my new hunting rifle, the price was right and it was a model I really liked, I'd accept some rust/pitting knowing that it would be an ongoing battle, but it would probably shoot pretty well anyway.
On the other hand, if I was looking for a "Sunday-go-to-meeting" gun, say one that was only going to the range or maybe hunting on nice days, I'd want it to be perfect. In which case, I probably wouldn't buy a used rifle at all. RB

NRA Endowment Life Member
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
as said, rust & pitting.

Cracks in those old tc stocks were pretty common around the lock and opposite side of lock as well as around the tang. Check closely!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I only have traditional muzzleloaders but what to look for has been covered. Rust and pitting, a nipple that comes out, cracks in the stock around the lock and breech block, and look at the crown of the muzzle. A little rust doesn't hurt and a lot of guns are leaded up pretty bad if they have been shot a lot so expect to clean that out.

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks all.

When I sold my muzzleloader the shop commented on what good care I'd obviously taken of it. It's hard for me to imagine someone NOT taking care of a gun. Cleaning up a muzzleloader is faster, though a little messier, than cleaning up a centerfire ... no waiting for copper solvent to do its job.

I hope the previous owner(s) of the gun I'm looking at felt the same way. It's a TC Seneca .45, legal for deer here (our minimum is .40 cal), and it looks like it should be a hoot for all kinds of stuff.

If it doesn't look good, then plan B is probably a Lyman GPH .50. That was plan A 'til I saw the little Seneca.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My first ML was a .45 Seneca, wish I'd kept it. A delight to carry but with max load (80 grain IIRC) under a Maxi ball it would turn my arm purple after a few shots.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would prefer a new Lyman Great Plains Hunter. Easy choice for me.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have the owner run a dry patch down he barrel. If patch comes out ripped I means pitted barrel. Surface rust can be cleaned-up. Rips in patch mean pass it up.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
that is a patch on a jag, not a cleaning rod.

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Someone had butchered the trigger on that Seneca. The un-set pull was so light that the hammer didn't want to stay back.

I wound up coming home with a Lyman GPR .50 percussion instead. I don't like it but it's the least bad on the short list of options still available it seems.

Got buyers remorse with the GPR. If I still have $$ left after Christmas shopping is done I may buy the Seneca anyway and try to revive it.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's too bad. They should give you a good discount if you decide to go back for it. I'm kinda surprised they'd sell it that way though, what with the liability issues that might create.

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a good gunsmith up here that reworked a trigger on a CVA Hawkins for me. If you need a lead, contact Ahlman's Gun Shop in Morristown, Mn.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
518 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 50 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.