-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Kicking off my 2016 project using a Model 70 and a Legend stock. I'm wanting to get the Legend as a flat top, so that I can have it CNC'd once I figure everything out with my bolt handle, bottom metal, etc.

I know of a couple of people to inlet the stock but who would you guys use?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe Chad Dixon uses a CNC machine to inlet stocks, but be prepared to drop a grand or more for his work.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I believe Chad Dixon uses a CNC machine to inlet stocks, but be prepared to drop a grand or more for his work.

Haha yea he was one of the ones I knew about. Not a chance. It's good work for sure, but he caters to a different market. If I believed it would cut my groups in half over anyone else's work, I would jump right on it.

I'm really more worried about a tight fit around the barrel and bottom metal than anything. It's the parts that won't get bedded I'm most concerned with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a lot of guys out there that do first class bedding jobs, but most I'm familiar with work on round actions like the 700's and their clones.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Joel Russo does

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I believe Hill Country Rifles does their own inletting.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ClancyFromTexas
Kicking off my 2016 project using a Model 70 and a Legend stock. I'm wanting to get the Legend as a flat top, so that I can have it CNC'd once I figure everything out with my bolt handle, bottom metal, etc.

I know of a couple of people to inlet the stock but who would you guys use?

I'd give D'Arcy a call. He's easy to talk to and could probably do what you want for the action/barrel you're using. To me that would make a lot more sense than getting a flat top and having to worry about CNC inletting. If D'Arcy does it, it'll be right and you'll be pleased.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Phoenix Custom Rifles also does custom inletting on stocks....always heard good things about them!!

www.phoenixcustomrifles.com

Last edited by 300MAG; 11/23/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's Williams bottom metal CNC inletted in a Legend by D'Arcy. I sent him the bottom metal and the inletting was perfect. He's a stickler for perfection and I don't think you'll find anyone who can do a better job CNC inletting a Legend than D'Arcy.

[Linked Image]

One thing I've done with McM, is get the stock, glass it, tape the inletting and send it back for paint. With my McM Hunters Edge/HS Precision, the bolt handle slot was too big to suit me. I filled it with glass, inletted it to fit the handle, sanded it smooth then sent it for paint. Worked out well.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Here's Williams bottom metal CNC inletted in a Legend by D'Arcy. I sent him the bottom metal and the inletting was perfect. He's a stickler for perfection and I don't think you'll find anyone who can do a better job CNC inletting a Legend than D'Arcy.

[Linked Image]

One thing I've done with McM, is get the stock, glass it, tape the inletting and send it back for paint. With my McM Hunters Edge/HS Precision, the bolt handle slot was too big to suit me. I filled it with glass, inletted it to fit the handle, sanded it smooth then sent it for paint. Worked out well.

[Linked Image]

May indeed be better to let him do that part as well. That bottom metal is a great fit. Definitely what I'm looking for!

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
And, it should be cheaper for D'Arcy to do it all than buy the stock then start looking for CNC.

Call D'Arcy. I did and would again.

DF

Edited to add, IIRC, D'Arcy will inlet without bolt handle cut or ejection port cut. You can do those yourself without much trouble, then get it painted. The Legend pictured above I painted with Brownells Aluma-Hyde II Epoxy finish. Easy to apply, super tough.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/23/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom Meredith is the darling of the benchrest crowd and dose that work. I had him do a few McMillans for me, 1st rate work and fast.

http://www.tmss.net/stockwork/servicespricelist.html

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Tom makes a great bore cleaner, sold under his TM label.

It's great on carbon build up as well as copper fouling. There are a lotta products that will remove copper, not as many effective against carbon.

My guns are Dyna Bore Coated and don't do much copper fouling. I do see carbon and powder residue thru the Hawkeye. TM takes is out with a couple of applications and occasionally soaking. I don't use brushes, haven't since I discovered DBC.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,031
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.