Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yesterday I was shooting at an 8-point. I watched him coming from about 150 yards and pulled the trigger on him at about 50 yards. Nothing happened so I pulled my eye away from the scope to look at the safety. As soon as I noticed the safety was on "F" the gun went "bang." Naturally, I missed.

I dry-fired a couple of times and noticed a faint "click" and then a heavier "click." So I came home, disassembled the bolt, cleaned it, lubed it lightly, and reassembled it. The double "click" was gone. Today I fired it, and the first shot hit dead center at 50 yards, with no hesitation. So, I'm ready for tomorrow.

I was shooting handloads, and I've been a handloader for almost 50 years. I've had a few duds in the past (all from the same set of primers). I don't think this hang-fire was because of my handloads, although everything I look up on this subject tends to blame primers. I think it was because the firing pin just didn't release as normal.

What say you? Thanks.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like the firing pin was gunked up, this can happen after years of no cleaning, oil can exacerbate the problem as it gathers dust and grit over time. If you use WD-40 you can just expect it as the stuff solidifies like varnish given enough time.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jnyork
Sounds like the firing pin was gunked up, this can happen after years of no cleaning, oil can exacerbate the problem as it gathers dust and grit over time. If you use WD-40 you can just expect it as the stuff solidifies like varnish given enough time.

I expected to see rust, or caked-up gunk, but it was much cleaner than I expected. That's actually why I'm asking the question. Before I wiped what little gunk was on the pin I noticed a shiny spot on the side, so I'm guessing there was a little stress put on one side, maybe causing drag. Once the season is over I'll be paying a visit to my gunsmith. Seems to me it might be a good idea to polish the pin and the hole to prevent any drag and give you a slightly faster lock-time. But then, what do I know?

The only lube inside a bolt should be something that doesn't gel or dry out,, like break-free, and it doesn't need much. I'd recommend nothing on the spring.

Thanks.
Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was thinking the same as jnyork. Ever clean the bolt with a degreaser or take the bolt apart?

Similar happened to Austin last year because the bolt was gunked up with cosmoline. Combine that with cold weather = missed opportunity.

Guess you were writing as I was.

Last edited by Scott; 11/22/15.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
What primer?

I've had hang fires & misfires with Remington primers, so much that I won't use them. I've also had a couple of hang fires with CCI's, but it's been rare. The only one I've never had a hang or misfire with has been federal. Supposedly federal uses a more sensitive priming compound than the others, I don't know but I do know they've never not gone bang so I tend to use federals for hunting.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
What primer?

I've had hang fires & misfires with Remington primers, so much that I won't use them. I've also had a couple of hang fires with CCI's, but it's been rare. The only one I've never had a hang or misfire with has been federal. Supposedly federal uses a more sensitive priming compound than the others, I don't know but I do know they've never not gone bang so I tend to use federals for hunting.

Here's the load:
Cartridge: 7mm-08
Case: Remington (deburred flash holes).
Primer: Winchester.
Powder: W760, 48.o grains.
Bullet: Hornady 139 grain SP

Steve.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's a good load.
It does not take much oil/gunk in the firing pin to slow it down.
I would take it back apart and remove all the oil and run it dry.
The oil just claims lint and dust.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How cold was it?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ball powders like 760 can be hard to ignite in colder weather, but I doubt it was THAT cold in PA yesterday, but then again, I haven't checked your weather reports, so I might be wrong.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A hang-fire or miss-fire can be caused by several things.

I have a like new 308 bolt action that had miss fires. The firing pin made light hits on the primer.

The brass was new WW handloaded with winchester WLR primers. The load is a normal one with Varget powder and 150 grain Bergers.

I made a no go headspace gage and it went in!

A no go gage is not supposed to chamber! "Excessive headspace"!

The rifle has been sent back to the manufacturer.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a like new 308 bolt action that had miss fires. The firing pin made light hits on the primer.
You say it's like new but how old is it? Grease can get gummy with age whether it's fired or not. The bolt might need a good cleaning.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like it was probably the powder that caused the "hang". I really doubt the primer is going to 'spark' after it has been struck if it doesn't go on impact. (I have seen quite a few powder hangfires, generally when a powder is either not well matched to the application, or the powder volume is less than ideal.) I have had sluggish firing pin failures, but never hangfires from that cause.

Was that a standard or magnum primer? I've used that same load quite a bit with CCI 200s, and it will work, but I trust it more with a magnum primer on board.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Call Sierra bullets some time and ask about some unbelievable long hang fires. Some were fifteen minutes when they were on a shelf. Now they lay them down so the primer can fly out instead of ignite the powder.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So cartridge on its side will allow primer when it goes off to pop out the back, and keep the brisance from igniting the powder against it?

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good guess, The rifles manufacturer asked me to clean out the bolt where the firing pin goes.

The bolt and firing pin were both clean and free of anything that might restrict the pins fall.

The rifle is on its way to them.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 700LH
How cold was it?

Not cold. Not sure exactly, but it was above freezing, prolly mid to high 30s.

Colder yesterday when I test-fired it. About 30 degrees.

Steve.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Sounds like it was probably the powder that caused the "hang". I really doubt the primer is going to 'spark' after it has been struck if it doesn't go on impact. (I have seen quite a few powder hangfires, generally when a powder is either not well matched to the application, or the powder volume is less than ideal.) I have had sluggish firing pin failures, but never hangfires from that cause.

Was that a standard or magnum primer? I've used that same load quite a bit with CCI 200s, and it will work, but I trust it more with a magnum primer on board.

It was a standard primer. I prolly ought to test magnum primers.

My opinion so far is that the firing pin hung up. Dropping the pin on an empty chamber I could hear two distinct "clicks." First a faint one, then a more distinct one.

Steve.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"My opinion so far is that the firing pin hung up. Dropping the pin on an empty chamber I could hear two distinct "clicks." First a faint one, then a more distinct one."

I agree.. Sounds like first the sear/ striker spring tripped then the striker hit at it's forward point. The shiny spot would induce me to think there was a bit of grit or contact in there - maybe a metal shaving or sand grain, kink in the spring, slightly bent striker shaft or a rough spot. Or some sticky gunk as mentioned by others. If the spring is a bit weak, it doesn't take much.

If your cleaning seemed to solve the problem, it was the latter, maybe with some help from others.

I use only dry to touch lubes (Eezox or Corrosion X) for these applications, extra strength springs, and never ever store the rifle cocked - always with the striker spring tension relieved by dry fire.

I may have had a similar problem(s) somewhere in the past...... smile

Moisture frozen in there can do the same thing, but you said it was above freezing.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
but I trust it more with a magnum primer on board.

Good advice, I've always felt better using mag primers with ball powder in cooler temps.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Is it possible that the powder next to the primer was somehow contaminated by moisture or chemicals to cause a slow burn until the "fire" hit good powder?

It sounds like you had only the one cartridge hang fire? Did you test fire any other rounds after the hang fire?

Just curious, as I once had a situation with a misfire - primer dented, but didn't go off the first round, while subsequent rounds did. This occurred twice after a period of several days or longer storage. In that case it was a combination of weak spring and gummy gunk on a rather rough striker shaft. I initially and wrongly blamed moisture in the bolt in cold weather, and/or faulty ammo.

Polished the shaft smooth and fixed the other two, and all is good!

Last edited by las; 11/23/15.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
752 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 86 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.