Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Condolances about your friend. But glad you both enjoyed lives and love and companionship. Last dog my famm had was an Australian Sheperd. She got cancer at 8-1/2 years. Have missed her tremendously.

Are German Wirehaired Pointers any good?

How do GWP's compare to Griffons? And Draathars? THANKS!

BP-B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Ghostman
They're a typical German breed...hard-headed but not difficult to train, and they are a reasonably intelligent breed.

Griffs are NOT a German breed, they're Dutch. The best Griff couldn't compare to the worst Drathaar.

BULLSCHIDT!

The breeder was a Dutchman who developed the breed over a twenty year period in GERMANY! They were further developed as a breed in Germany, France and The Netherlands.

I've had Drats, also, and they were no better or worse than the Griffons.

Safariman
Eduard Korthals was Dutch and while I'm fully aware he had a kennel in Germany for 20 years you'll get VERY few Germans to agree or acknowledge that a Griffon is a German pointing breed.

I've ran Deutsch Kurzhaars and Drathaars in German hunt tests over the years and have witnessed many more in multiple states. I have never seen a Griffon entered in a German hunt test.

I've seen and judged Griffons in NAVHDA and AKC hunting tests. From my observations of the breed they are not a "typical" German pointing breed. IMO most Griffs lack drive and style and have softer temperaments compared to several of the German pointing breeds, especially in comparrison to most lines of Kurzhaars, Drathaars and Pudelpointers.

To me Griffs are a perfect breed for older folks who aren't hard hunters, dont care much about style, and don't demand much from a dog. Some folks like VW Beetles and some prefer Porsches. I prefer the latter.

In any case, my condolences to you for the loss of your dog.

Last edited by Ghostman; 11/18/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for your reply.

Sadie and my late father's griffons would work you to your knees chuckar hunting. They were steady and bullet-proof. In a day's time they would get you far more chuckar, and we're talking wild NV birds, not the soft preserve kind, than any other breed but a German Shorthair, which I hold is the best all around upland dog for rough country.

Dad's dogs were famous for their noses and bird sense and their overall strength. The breed isn't what it once was, however. We got our original dogs from old Col. Stodtmeister out of Germany, and they were TOUGH!!

But, like many breeds, a lot have been bred to be easy to handle first, and tenacious second. I could actually care less about style. I want bird producers. wink

Invariably, the "style" dogs shoot their wad far too early to be decent chuckar dogs. They wear off their pads and collapse about mid-day. A good griffon will still be chugging along at a good pace, working his heart out for you.

Last edited by luv2safari; 11/19/15.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just committed to getting a female pup from this litter, whelped on 11/04. laugh

[Linked Image]

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Congratulations!

Nice looking mama doog and good HEALTHY litter of pups!

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
When choosing a pup, question the breeder on which breeding program they subscribe to, the WPGCA (Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Club of America) or the AWPGA (American Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Association). In the 80s the WPGCA began a program of crossbreeding pure Griffons with the Cesky Fousek to produce a WPG with more "drive". The AWPGA on the other hand promotes staying true to the fullblooded WPG as Korthals set the breed.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I just committed to getting a female pup from this litter, whelped on 11/04. laugh

[Linked Image]

Congrats! I'm thinking that pup just won the lottery!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now, why would you think that? confused

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
They're a typical German breed...hard-headed but not difficult to train, and they are a reasonably intelligent breed.

Griffs are NOT a German breed, they're Dutch. The best Griff couldn't compare to the worst Drathaar.

BULLSCHIDT!

The breeder was a Dutchman who developed the breed over a twenty year period in GERMANY! They were further developed as a breed in Germany, France and The Netherlands.

I've had Drats, also, and they were no better or worse than the Griffons.

Safariman
Eduard Korthals was Dutch and while I'm fully aware he had a kennel in Germany for 20 years you'll get VERY few Germans to agree or acknowledge that a Griffon is a German pointing breed.

I've ran Deutsch Kurzhaars and Drathaars in German hunt tests over the years and have witnessed many more in multiple states. I have never seen a Griffon entered in a German hunt test.

I've seen and judged Griffons in NAVHDA and AKC hunting tests. From my observations of the breed they are not a "typical" German pointing breed. IMO most Griffs lack drive and style and have softer temperaments compared to several of the German pointing breeds, especially in comparrison to most lines of Kurzhaars, Drathaars and Pudelpointers.

To me Griffs are a perfect breed for older folks who aren't hard hunters, dont care much about style, and don't demand much from a dog. Some folks like VW Beetles and some prefer Porsches. I prefer the latter.

In any case, my condolences to you for the loss of your dog.

Ive participated in NAVHDA trials over 20 years on east coast, MD, PA, VA and now here out west in ID, OR, WA.

Ive noticed the griffs bred and hunted out west have very good drive, are methodic but do range farther and are very energetic. Not many breeds can climb up steep rocky terrain and range out to 50 to 100 yds on chukar , huns the later in the day point and retrive rabbits, work close for quail in the tall sage brush and break ice retrieving ducks and make a good house dog companion.

Not much of a style guy, I just want my dog well socialized with other dogs, animals, people, obedient and driven. Pretty happy with griffs. Does everything i ask of her

good looking pup safari

Last edited by ribka; 11/23/15.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

SMH

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
luv2safari
Those pups are showing a lot of white do they get darker as they age?
Thanks for your time. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You have been blessed with some beautiful dogs. Outstanding

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northcountry
luv2safari
Those pups are showing a lot of white do they get darker as they age?
Thanks for your time. Cheers NC

Yes, they do get darker as they get older.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
luv2safari.
Thanks NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,440
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.