Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Had a Cabela's gift card for my birthday so picked up a pair of Carlson's tubes. Hope to give one a try tomorrow in the duck blind

BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by battue
Many good ones out there, but it always makes me wonder that almost all just accept what the chokes says for constriction is what they will be getting.

If you don't know your bore diameter and then the diameter of the choke, and subtract choke from bore then you don't know what your actual constriction will be.

Some shotguns are known for tight bores, some are over-bored and sometimes they vary within the same model.

Last competition shotgun I bought was fixed LM/LM. No thinking about chokes and which is best. Point correctly and the target breaks. Couple field guns are fixed Mod. Shooting is much simpler without choke changing. Chokes give us inches and we usually miss by feet.

Gotta agree with knowing the bore vs. actual choke tube constriction. There was a company (Seminole) that would measure your bore and sell you a tube with the exact ID that would give you the desired constriction. Many off the shelf chokes can be ten thousands, or more, off vs. your actual bore. You just never know what your screwing in is right unless you know the actual bore.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a full set skeet-full of bore matched chokes for my SBE from angle port. I use lt mod and imp mod 99% of the time if I'm not duck hunting.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hands down for waterfowl....patternmaster, only better option than that would be to send the gun to rob Roberts and have him put it on his computer patterning system and customize the choke to your gun

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just bought some Briley's for my Franchi.

How old is your Benelli? You will need either a Crio or a Mobil depending on age.

http://www.briley.com/benellicrioplushuntingchokes.aspx

http://www.briley.com/BenelliMobilChokeHuntingChokes.aspx

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
All chokes are not made the same whether factory or aftermarket and there can be a lot of variances in constriction and diameter from manufacturer to manufacturer for the same size choke tube.

IMO shot string length means more to me than choke constriction. For ducks and geese I only use wad retention /lock type chokes - Pattern Master, Kicks and Pure Gold, and I pattern all my guns with the loads I'm using.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
So, finally got to shoot a few ducks and geese this weekend. Nicely dropped a mallard from a big flock that came in, but don't know that I can say better than before but the bird was dead when it hit the water. We shot some geese to but with 7 guys in the blind and 5 geese in the flock, there was a lot of shot in the air so hard to say!

I did shoot a cripple from someone else on the water and I think the shot string was shorter than the other strings from some other guns, at least from the appearance on the water.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use Muller lightweight chokes in my Blaser F3. Very pleased with them. One U0, two U01's, one U2 and one U3. That covers the range for sporting clays.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
529 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.