Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had 2 Montanas and a Kimber Tactical. I've had a T3 lite, a T3 Superlite and a T3 Sporter. Similar good performance/accuracy/reliability for all in my experience.

The substantial price difference swings my vote to Tikka.

Though I'd rather have an early serial number Forbes than either. (and I do)

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Some of the elite, the Canadian Rangers...

[Linked Image]
On the 8th of May 2015, The Honourable Judith Guichon, OBC, Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia, visited the 4th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group Basic and Advance Canadian Ranger Training. Her Honour had the opportunity to meet the Canadian Ranger Staff and Candidates at CFB Albert Head (near Victoria, BC) and observe a portion of their training.

Don't want to sound mean, but that gal needs a "fashion friend" to help her pick out her outfits. I can almost hear the calliope.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Here is a good Kimber Montana torture test.

Kimber Montana torture test

Last edited by mystro; 11/23/15.

The Lord loves humility.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I thought my comment was clear about them not being in the same class. If I had to choose one it would be a Montana.

Enough already, just shoot it!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I don't own both but am more than pleased with my 270 Montana. Two range trips playing with the 140 TSX got it consistently inside an inch. At an ounce over six pounds it is light, balances well (particularly with the pad replacement done) and worked on its first fire at a critter. I am sold on this piece.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by lhead71
I thought my comment was clear about them not being in the same class. If I had to choose one it would be a Montana.

You have to type really slow for some.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mystro
Here is a good Kimber Montana torture test.

Kimber Montana torture test

That was stupid. So shooting a gun with another gun is the new torture test?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Kimber - 13

Tikka - 4

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by Fotis
The only way I would take a Kimber is for re-sale if I got it cheap enough. $hittiest factory gun I ever dealt with (accuracy) and expensive to boot.

Did you buy it or did it belong to someone else?

Bought 2 different montanas in 270 WSM. Both went back both came back shooting like crap. Also worked on a buddy's montana. No dice on accuracy

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

For the guys that have both or have had both;

Which one wins?

I don't consider them comparable.

But the Kimber wins regardless.

Travis

I agree. They aren't even in the same league. But, for whatever reason, anytime a Montana is brought up, somebody always makes the recommendation to just buy a Tikka. Now, I have both and have hunted extensively with the Tikka, and I do like them, but I sure can't see any reason to consider the Tikka an alternative to the Kimber.

My guess is that most guys that would recommend the Tikka as an alternative have not ever handled, owned or even shot one. But hey it's the fire, and when given a choice between a Kimber and a Tikka, we get several votes for the Ruger American Rifle.

Go figure...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your Kimber shoots, all is rosy. If it patterns like a shotgun, you may want to go with Tikka.

Experience will make your decision.

G

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I usually stay out of these types of discussions. However, after owning quite a few of both...

I say get the Tikka as well. Every rifle is a compromise of some sort. There is a reason there is a multi-page thread on Montana Tinkering and not on Tikkas.

The Kimber can be a good rifle. However I have found - in my experience - that there are some things that are not an easy fix. Like what if the barrel isn't floated correctly? You can't just sand away some barrel channel - it's too thin of material. So, that means either canting the action up and rebedding, or lifting the whole action up and rebedding. Or full length rebedding.

Most all of what you do with a Tikka is preference. If the barrel isn't floating - easy fix - remove material - no need to rebed. If you want a new recoil pad - put on a prefit limbsaver. Add scope and mounts. I have found them to be day in and day out more accurate overall.

You can be in a tikka - that WILL shoot - all in for the price of a kimber too. It will be light enough as well.

Just my humble opinion of course.

SC

"You only know one thing for sure about a broken down old man........He's the survivor...."

Incoming rounds have the right of way.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A simple bedding job to fix an improperly floated barrel should not be the deciding factor.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Montana all the way for me.

The Tikka only enters the conversation if I want a removable magazine for pure truck hunting, but then the RAR is just as good.

For hunting, get a Montana and be done with it. Further, if for some reason you dislike it, you can resell it quickly with very little loss.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A simple bedding job is only an example - for a rifle that is "bedded" already. Don't forget all the other tweaks, and fitting, and load development, and don't forget to take out the set screw that maintains the firing pin adjustment and loctite it. And....

Pass the Tikka and just f'in' shoot....

SC

"You only know one thing for sure about a broken down old man........He's the survivor...."

Incoming rounds have the right of way.....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have had both.
Tikka T3 Hunter 6.5SE (traded for a Sako)
Kimber Montana 270wsm (sold to 16 Bore)
I bought the Tikka new.
I traded a Sako for the Kimber.
The Tikka was the first rifle I got the wow factor with.Out of the box,factory ammo,sub MOA.My first one hole group.Fit me pefect and was a nice carry rifle.
The Kimber was a little harder to group but had great accuracy as well.The Tikka won that battle there.
The Kimber did not ballance as well and pondered shortening the barrel,as it was front heavy.Not that bad but noticable compared to the Tikka.
Both carried well although the Kimber was probably a pound lighter.I think only my scale knew that because in the field I did't recall all that much difference.I had been lugging around a 10 pound Marlin for 20 years.
The Kimber became a safe queen because the Finnlight next to it always was the one to go out to play.
If I were to buy any of the two again I would go Tikka

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I agree. They aren't even in the same league. But, for whatever reason, anytime a Montana is brought up, somebody always makes the recommendation to just buy a Tikka. Now, I have both and have hunted extensively with the Tikka, and I do like them, but I sure can't see any reason to consider the Tikka an alternative to the Kimber.

My guess is that most guys that would recommend the Tikka as an alternative have not ever handled, owned or even shot one. But hey it's the fire, and when given a choice between a Kimber and a Tikka, we get several votes for the Ruger American Rifle.

Go figure...

Agreed.

Frankly, there is not a single rifle on the market that is comparable to the Kimber.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This schit is ALWAYS fhuqking funny. The ONLY thing Tikka "brings" to the table,is an entry fee that grants Turd Polishers opportunity and that is it.

In dozens and dozens of Montuckys,I've yet to see a "bad one". Have seen 'em assembled incorrectly and with fastener woes(namely front base screw burrowed into barrel shanks),puked scopes and broken mounts,but that is hardly a Manufacturer's "fault". Getta kick out of the Serial Number Scare too! Pardon my having them all.

Would LOVE to see specimens that "didn't shoot",just for the hilarity associated with rubbing a Dumbfhuqks nose in their Stupidity. Rifles are exceptionally simplistic mechanical devices and it is plum fhuqking amazing,how many folks can reliably fhuqk one up! All of these "difficulties" are fhuqking hilarious.

Joe Average sure as fhuqk ain't very bright and it's tough to top the humor of a bunch of Clueless Fhuqks racing each other,to relate stories of their gross ineptitude and how that is somehow deemed a badge of "honor". FUNNY schit!

Then people wonder aloud,how Obama got to drive for two terms...as they obliviously corroborate the inherent "sweet satisfactions" of Dumbfhuqktitude?!? You "hard charging" Dumbfhuqkers are a hoot!

Wow....................

(Addendum: for yet another perpetually Whining Kchunt)

Taco,

You Drooling CLUELESS Dumbfhuqk,your Imagination and it's Pretend are again taking you places that simply do not exist. It is funnier than fhuqk,that you copiously frost your Stupidity with the fact that you are forced in weighing your "abilities","means" and comprehension"...which is of course,THE most slippery of slopes.

Congratulations?!?

1,000,000 MPAJ Laughing Words

Bone stock over the counter Montucky,fed false shouldered positive headspace a 162 smooch and mad treeger skeelz,ala 6x.

Closer look,for you Whining Clueless Kchunts...just so you know what sub .5MOA looks like at 700yds+. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GREAT time for you to dangle pics of the Splendid Beasties that have met their demise,via your Tikka "prowess" and I ASSURE you,that it will be funnier than fhuqk. 'Nother hint. Laughing!

You Brokedick Turd Polishing Do Nothing Dumbfhuqks are a hoot and ESPECIALLY when you are doing your best! Looking forward to your next Whine,as you flaunt your Imagination and Pretend,yet again.

Do not let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt.

Just sayin'.

Laughing!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
...The ONLY thing Tikka "brings" to the table,is they shoot little groups that often rival customs at four times the cost

You can complain about the platform but can't argue the results. Actually not true, your dumb ass will. Somehow.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by smarquez
I'm a practical cheapskate. Tikka all day long. There's nothing it won't do that the Kimber won't at 2/3 the cost.
I use Craftsman instead of Snapon.
Buick instead of Mercedes or BMW.
Costco coffee instead of some foo foo bean freshly groud.
On and on.

Have you ever owned a Kimber?

No but I don't see at all how it can be 2 or 3 times better since it cost 2-3 times more than my Tikka.
Am I not qualified to answer?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,463,991
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.