Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well almost a year later swapped the upper onto a well used lower and swapped bolt carrier groups with one that didn't have the M-4/M-16 bcg and had previously loosened the gas block to check for port to port alignment and it appeared to have been aligned.

It went from never feeding to 4-5 hiccups out of 20 rds, will order a Nemo buffer spring specifically engineered for .300 blackouts and hopefully that will get me to 100% reliable.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They are interesting for idiots like us that know little about them. They are beginning to grow on me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was going to build a 6.8 SPC as a wet weather deer rifle, have to have some excuse you know, but once this round was commercialized and the fact it uses standard mags sold me real quickly on it over the SPC.

Will post results once I get the spring in.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
late to this party... don't drill... get a couple hundred rounds through the gun first...

New gas guns typically need things to smooth up a bit, and keep the BCG and upper lubed well as it breaks in.

Then, if it doesn't work, IMHO an adj gas block is by far smarter than drilling a hole... especially if you are going suppressed and different ammo later.

BUt as noted you can drill, then tap, plug and redrill like a redneck. Could even put jb in the port hole and drill smaller...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
10-4, I appreciate it, I don't think it will be necessary to drill it now.

The rifle has 40 rds through it, last year at this time I was crippled up with bulging discs in my back and didn't/couldn't do much.

I like the idea of an adjustable gas block and once I get it reliable and broken in will decide on final configuration.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't think going with a can you could do it any otehr way and be able to tune, to cylce, and then flip to super sonic and without the can and so on. IMHO.

First 100 rounds through a top line barrel like a Krieger sometimes will even have a few hiccups, much less over time since they pretty much figured everythign out, but still you never know. Though I did set a range record once on about the round count of 150/200 or so range...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rost495
Then, if it doesn't work, IMHO an adj gas block is by far smarter than drilling a hole... especially if you are going suppressed and different ammo later.

An adjustable gas block won't do a thing on an undergassed barrel. You'd need to drill the hole out too big first, then the adjustable block would be effective.

I disagree that he needs to just keep shooting it. If it won't cycle at this point, it's undergassed and needs to have the gas port opened up a little. If you go in small steps, you can get it tuned perfectly that way.

I would drill instead of messing with special buffers. Some of that "special for 300 Blk" stuff is just marketing snake oil; just tune it right, same as you would a 5.56.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Carbine std buffer just a different spring.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Headspace checked on an AR lol...I must be one lucky SOB I have built around 60 plus ARs not one has ever been checked. Barrel can only go so far back and the bolt can only go so far forward. If it chambers a round and ejects it's good to go.

"One good Shot Is All I Need"
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Yondering

An adjustable gas block won't do a thing on an undergassed barrel. You'd need to drill the hole out too big first, then the adjustable block would be effective.

I disagree that he needs to just keep shooting it. If it won't cycle at this point, it's undergassed and needs to have the gas port opened up a little. If you go in small steps, you can get it tuned perfectly that way.

I would drill instead of messing with special buffers. Some of that "special for 300 Blk" stuff is just marketing snake oil; just tune it right, same as you would a 5.56.

All I can say is having went through a LOT of barrels in competition, it was not unusual to have a gun barely function or not function quite right until everything was slicked up some.
Generally on totally new uppers.

Its easy to put an Adj block on. And wide open if it doesn't cycle after 100 rounds, then open it some. Goign subs and with a can you may have to open it even more.

But its VERY rare to have a factory tube undergassed. I wonder if the base for the block is not lined up with the port completely?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by XPNut
Headspace checked on an AR lol...I must be one lucky SOB I have built around 60 plus ARs not one has ever been checked. Barrel can only go so far back and the bolt can only go so far forward. If it chambers a round and ejects it's good to go.

If you use good parts you are ok. Bolt with barrel.

If you don't, you can have enough headspace to make brass life very short if you don't understand headspace or reloading.

If just making it go bang is the desire its fairly hard to mess up.

If you are putting em together for others and don't have 60 plus of your own and you are not not overly smart about that part. Its one thing to have a possible mistake for you, but for others....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In ARs, proper headspace happens with chambering, not with bolt selection.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yes,and I"m not sure who you are replying to, but if you buy a bolt headspaced to the barrel you are fine. Thats what I was saying.

OTOH you can swap bolts back and forth and find minor changes in headspace at times, just due to bolt tolerances.

The cheap way out, put one together, fire a few cases and read them on an RCBS headspace gauge for fired brass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a general observation for the OP. If he thinks he's going to fix headspace with a new bolt, he's schitt out of luck. Ain't happening.

Just grab a bolt out of that box of 1,000 and slap it in. It will work as good as any other bolt in a box of 1,000.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Its easy to put an Adj block on. And wide open if it doesn't cycle after 100 rounds, then open it some. Goign subs and with a can you may have to open it even more.

Easy to do, but completely useless on a barrel that's already undergassed.

Being undergassed is not that rare when you get away from 5.56, especially if his 300 barrel has carbine gas. Someone may have just used the same port size as a 5.56 barrel, which would explain the issues he is reporting.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No way in heck you would use same gas port as 5.56

But maybe in this day and time folks are generally stupid I guess. It well could be.

Never seen mass makers drill ports to small in the day, always to big.

For 300/221 you shoot it sub sonic at some point, its the whole reason for the round, and for that, you need to open the port up big enough, then when going back to supers, you need to close it. Hence eventually needing an Adj gas block even after the initial problem is solved.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I bet, and I don't recall because I've had the Rock barrel around so long, that a Rock barrel for 300/221 is not undergassed nor does it have a 5.56 port size( which are generally to big to start with anyway IMHO)

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Spring came in today, noticeably softer, smaller wire and less pressure to compress, wider coils, feels like it will be great, hope to test tomorrow at lunch or at least after work.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got the new spring in and finally got a chance to test it, had a minor magazine problem then it ran like a top.

First 5 shot group at 100, I don't have a clue about the stray round, I put 2-3 rds on paper at 50 yards prior to this group and it sat while I went down and hung the target

[Linked Image]

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.