Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I go in for a physical next week with full blood work and planning the azzscope the week after. Though this will be my first azzscope (age 53) I am OK with it all as I have had a company required physical annually since 2004 when I left the US and all had been good. Better to know than not...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I've been through a few of these. Not much if any pain I can remember, did have some bleeding for a few days after, Doc said that was normal.

After the last one Doc said, " Not going to put you through this again, you do not have prostrate cancer. You have an enlarged prostrate and a high PSA. No big deal. Live with it."

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had it done a couple years ago. My PSA was going up & family history. It's no big deal. Make sure you follow the DR's orders before the procedure ie--- Stop taking aspirin. You will bleed some & it comes out during your 1st bowel movement.

I thought the worst part was giving yourself the suppository. My Dr played football at USC. We talked about the USC/ND game during the whole procedure. I was given a local or spinal I forget which. He told when at the start that it's probably going to be an enlarged prostate. Which it was all samples came back negative. He put me on finasteride----a medicine that I take daily, it shrinks the prostate. My PSA is now @ 1. DR says if I stay on it, my chances of prostate are nil.

Last edited by colorado bob; 11/23/15.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had an experience with an elevated PSA (around 4 as I recall). My GP directed me to a specialized practice that uses biopsies only after other methods are used. I had an MRI or some other type of scan done and am now on yearly PSA tests to monitor. It's more expensive initially but the potential side effects from the biopsy make it worth looking at.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RufusG

One more thing. If you want to practice ahead of time, just shove a staple gun up your ass and pull the trigger 12 times.

Musta miscounted. Coulda swore it was 13..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Tommy, I've had two biopsies over the last year and a half or so due to fairly quickly rising PSA. The first was when it went to from around 4+ to 7.3 and the second after it had risen to 9.5 in about six months IIRC even with a small prostate. They found only benign tissue. On my second, they did an MRI and then a "targeted" biopsy where they found some "atypia" in one core out of fifteen.

They're no fun and they may find nothing as they did on my first. As others have said one reading of high PSA doesn't necessarily mean anything. Inflammation or infection can cause it to rise along with other things.The prostate continues to grow with age and the more prostate tissue, the more PSA goes up. Symptoms mean nothing; peeing a lot or getting up several times in the night just indicates that the prostate has grown and since it is in a fairly small space, it starts affecting the bladder and urethra. Do some research; there's a lot of info out there.

Before the biopsy ask your urologist if he does a prostatic block to deaden the nerves. If he doesn't find another urologist. On my second, the Dr did one but must have just missed the nerves and the first three cores or so REALLY HURT! I spoke up and he gave another shot of lidocaine and the rest were like those of the first biopsy. You feel it but it SHOULDN'T HURT.

It's a pretty embarassing and/or demeaning procedure but it's the best tool they have now. The other thing to remember is that finding nothing on the biopsy isn't necessarily good... It's just "not bad."

Good luck. I have to get another PSA test again in January so it could mean #3 for me. Believe me I understand the anxiety level you are probably experiencing and it's hard to explain to anyone who hasn't gone through it. Higher blood pressure, etc. goes with the territory.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Had it removed via the DaVinci robot surgery and haven't had anymore problems. The Doc did my biopsy w/o numbing the area. He kept asking me are you OK. I finally said " if you re wondering if I'm coming back tomorrow for another go the answer is no but I'm fine lets just get it over with." Honestly while it wasn't pleasent it wasn't that bad. I think he took 16 samples in all. I'll also share right after it was over I had to stop off on the men's room to urinate. Let's just say there was enough blood passed that I ran back to his office . He said it was normal so don't freak out like I did.

I Wil also put in a word for the robot surgery. While the older open surgery usually had a 2-3 month recovery. I missed 12 days of work and was actually up and about after 3-4 days. Good luck

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Tommy, I've had two biopsies over the last year and a half or so due to fairly quickly rising PSA. The first was when it went to from around 4+ to 7.3 and the second after it had risen to 9.5 in about six months IIRC even with a small prostate. They found only benign tissue. On my second, they did an MRI and then a "targeted" biopsy where they found some "atypia" in one core out of fifteen.

They're no fun and they may find nothing as they did on my first. As others have said one reading of high PSA doesn't necessarily mean anything. Inflammation or infection can cause it to rise along with other things.The prostate continues to grow with age and the more prostate tissue, the more PSA goes up. Symptoms mean nothing; peeing a lot or getting up several times in the night just indicates that the prostate has grown and since it is in a fairly small space, it starts affecting the bladder and urethra. Do some research; there's a lot of info out there.

Before the biopsy ask your urologist if he does a prostatic block to deaden the nerves. If he doesn't find another urologist. On my second, the Dr did one but must have just missed the nerves and the first three cores or so REALLY HURT! I spoke up and he gave another shot of lidocaine and the rest were like those of the first biopsy. You feel it but it SHOULDN'T HURT.

It's a pretty embarassing and/or demeaning procedure but it's the best tool they have now. The other thing to remember is that finding nothing on the biopsy isn't necessarily good... It's just "not bad."

Good luck. I have to get another PSA test again in January so it could mean #3 for me. Believe me I understand the anxiety level you are probably experiencing and it's hard to explain to anyone who hasn't gone through it. Higher blood pressure, etc. goes with the territory.

Thanks Navlav8r. You're right, it is a very anxious time. And you're right about BP, as it is up. The way he described it, it does sound pretty embarrassing and humiliating, but I can live with that, as long as I get an accurate reading of what's going on. There is no family history, but I'm not sure that's any indicator. I'm sure he gave me a lot of info, but as soon as I heard biopsy, I think I tuned him out. Thanks for the info you offered and I'll keep in touch. Take good care.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by RufusG

One more thing. If you want to practice ahead of time, just shove a staple gun up your ass and pull the trigger 12 times.

Musta miscounted. Coulda swore it was 13..

My understanding is 12 samples is the minimum. Some take a few more.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks to all who responded. I didn't realize it was so common. Hopefully just a small "bump in the road". Thanks again.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tommyd53
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
I had it done two years ago when over two years my PSA went from 1.1 to 2.09 and my GP could feel a lump. PSA in itself was some motivation but combined with the palpation, the biopsy seemed in order. Out of the 12 samples, only one turned up hot. BUT with removal of the prostate and post surgery pathology, it was found the cancer was in both lobes so the cancer was more widespread than the biopsy indicated. Keep in mind they are small needles and taking small samples so even then, it is easy to miss the cancer cells. At the same time as he was doing the biopsy, the urologist was also using ultrasound to look at the prostate and he too could see the tumor. I left his office knowing I had a high probability of having cancer despite a low PSA.

So you had the prostate gland out, and it was more cancerous than the biopsy showed? How are you now?. Cancer had not left that area?

I had it removed via the Da Vinci robotic method and I'm convinced it's the best way to go. The cancer was more extensive than the biopsy showed in that it was in both lobes not just one. The pathology also showed the surgery margins were clear indicating the cancer was contained within the prostate. Two years post surgery, I'm doing O.K. Two year checkup is in a couple months so we'll see if things are still on track.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had several a few years ago, six months apart. Every time they said no cancer but there is something strange going on, and six months later another one. After a bunch, they quit scheduling them and gave me some pills to take. Always wondered how they figured out what pills, when they really did not know what was happening except it wasn't cancer. The worst part for me was the enema the night before. They put me to sleep during the process, so no pain then, nor later. A little blood, but not much, in my urine for a few days. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Sexual activity and other things that irritate it make the number go up."

I've always heard sexual activity was good for prostate health but haven't asked a doctor about it yet. My goal is to exercise my prosate every day and worry a little if I don't get the chance. My last PSA number was 0.85 so I guess I'm ok so far but my Grandfather died of prostae cancer at age 89. He was perfectly healty until they found out he had prostate cancer and it had spread.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I had it done two years ago when over two years my PSA went from 1.1 to 2.09 and my GP could feel a lump. PSA in itself was some motivation but combined with the palpation, the biopsy seemed in order. Out of the 12 samples, only one turned up hot. BUT with removal of the prostate and post surgery pathology, it was found the cancer was in both lobes so the cancer was more widespread than the biopsy indicated. Keep in mind they are small needles and taking small samples so even then, it is easy to miss the cancer cells. At the same time as he was doing the biopsy, the urologist was also using ultrasound to look at the prostate and he too could see the tumor. I left his office knowing I had a high probability of having cancer despite a low PSA.

So you had the prostate gland out, and it was more cancerous than the biopsy showed? How are you now?. Cancer had not left that area?

I had it removed via the Da Vinci robotic method and I'm convinced it's the best way to go. The cancer was more extensive than the biopsy showed in that it was in both lobes not just one. The pathology also showed the surgery margins were clear indicating the cancer was contained within the prostate. Two years post surgery, I'm doing O.K. Two year checkup is in a couple months so we'll see if things are still on track.

I'm glad it worked out well for you. Sounds like your Doc was right on top of things. I hope I fare that well. Best of luck to you, sir.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Been there and done that. Diagnose with prostate cancer about 15 years ago. I don't remember the biopsy hurting much. Felt more like a sudden dull ache that went away until the next poke. Was give the choice of radiation, surgery or radioactive seed implantation. I took the implantation. The only problem I had with that was the prostate swelled up enough that I could not urinate and that hurt like hell in a hurry. Quick trip to the ER and had a catheter installed. A royal PITA but at least I didn't hurt. Sure was glad to have it taken out.
A sadder story though, my step son has stage 4 prostate cancer. He hated going to doctors and when he thought he hurt himself body building, he thought the pain was from straining something in his back so he goes to a chiropractor with no help. keeps on body building and ignored the pain and advice from his mother and I to see a doctor just in case. Finally he's forced to see one as the company he works for had just instituted a policy that employees get a regular year physical. That's how he found out about the cancer and that it had spread to his bones. He was at the time of discovery given 6 months to a year to live. That was two years ago. His last PSA test had dropped down to 7 from a high of 12. Hope springs eternal and we love him very much. I'll give him credit for this. He'll fight it to his very last breath.
Any prayers sent his way would be appreciated.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Had my first (of 3 ) biopsies in 2006.No freezing----major pain(in the ass).Led to cancer surgery. However, they freeze you now , so shouldn't be any pain.Do as doc recomends (no lifting means NO lifting).I had little discomfort and in 6-7 weeks was good as new.I was more scared of the colostmy(?) bag but when they took it out after 10-11 days, I missed the damned thing.Had my yearly checkup monday and all good.Get it early and don't worry---you supply the prostate ,let the surgeon worry about the procedure.
Good luck with the whole (sorry, couldn't resist) process. Rodney

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by victoro
"Sexual activity and other things that irritate it make the number go up."

I've always heard sexual activity was good for prostate health but haven't asked a doctor about it yet. My goal is to exercise my prosate every day and worry a little if I don't get the chance. My last PSA number was 0.85 so I guess I'm ok so far but my Grandfather died of prostae cancer at age 89. He was perfectly healty until they found out he had prostate cancer and it had spread.

I too had always heard that one need to keep that thing drained.

http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/news/20040406/frequent-ejaculation-prostate

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just got the results of my biopsy today, no cancer. TheDoc said my prostrate is about 3 times the size af a normal one which will jack up the PSA numbers.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Pat85
Just got the results of my biopsy today, no cancer. TheDoc said my prostrate is about 3 times the size af a normal one which will jack up the PSA numbers.

Now, how often will your Doc monitor it? And by blood test alone, or are more biopsies in store for you?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Pat85

Now, how often will your Doc monitor it? And by blood test alone, or are more biopsies in store for you?

Being my PSAs are high every 6 months, If they continually stay high he will want to do another biopsy 2 years from now. Going to try a med thats supposed to shrink it over the coarse of time. Prostrate cancer runs in our family. Dad had it, two cousins had theirs removed so if they need to do one of these every couple of years that fine with me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.