Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Points all taken.
First, it's NOT a daily driver. It's only uses are for road trips, and hauling a 42' 5th wheel with 4 slides, and on in the mountain trips, add 900 pounds for filling the drag up tank.
Second, the 5th wheel levels my Dodge dually. If I level the Ford, that means when loaded, it be squattin. If I leave it normal rear high rake, it'll level the truck.
The camper rides level with a higher sitting Dodge, adding a lift to a low sitting Ford will equal the heights.

Your money, do what you want but lift kits are generally useless and cause far more trouble than they are worth. I've installed more than one and aligned more than I care to remember. If you need to keep the back end up install some simple airbags, you can do it yourself.

There are a few people out there who can actually make use of a lift kit, the other 90% paid good money to project an image, with the added bonus of compromising their vehicle.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leveling kit for the front end and airbags for the fifth wheel. It will drive better.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would be cautious about lifting it, unless it's truly needed. Air bags are wonderful for hauling heavy 5th wheels like yours. It improves your braking ability if trailer and pickup are level.

Dick Rupp told me he loves lifted trucks. He said they bring him a lot of repair business.

Whatever you do I hope it works well for you.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The instructions for my airbags say to keep 5lb of air in them all the time. Measure the height of the bed above the axle when empty. After loading it up, add air until it comes up to the same height. That keeps the u-joints at the right angle. Ride height is more important than air pressure.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would not lift a tow rig. If you want to replace the suspension,look at stock ride height springs with airbags in the rear.

Stock size, 10 ply tires will be your huckleberry for power and economy.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE
Proper tires and GOOD air bags will do the job just fine. The lift kits are a PITA and waste of money IMHO.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
you need a lift kit like a 2nd buthole, get proper tires

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have leveled my last three trucks with zero issues. Current Tundra is up 2 1/2" in the front. It also has a switch that allows me to adjust the headlights as needed. I do it to gain some entry clearance given that the EPA has required mnfr's to keep the front end six inches from the turf.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had one truck with a lift - never again. Unless I was doing something like a long travel kit from Camburg and that wouldn't be on a tow rig but a play toy.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gonna go with a leveling, and rear bags.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lift kits were originally intended for ground clearance in off-road applications, and the well designed kits featured longer travel springs to allow for better off-road performance. Today many of them are just fricken spacer blocks, either for the suspension or for the body - and they're worth about 10% of what's charged for them.

On a tow vehicle that runs on-road most of the time you'll probably get the best aerodynamics and fuel economy with the front a little lower than the rear.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Just make sure sure all the front end geometry is right

Yup. Why smoke your ball joints and tie rod ends just to make your truck look better?

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think people with lift kits on their pickups are making up for other areas where they are lacking in size. They are trying to make up for it. Just say in.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own nearly that same truck. 02 F350 Crew Short bed 4x4.

I hate the way it sat stock. I put on a 4" kit which basically leveled the front to the back and raised the back end barely. I'd do it again but wouldn't buy anything with the name Full Traction attached to it. (long story but trust me)

This allows 305's with no issues at all. I actually have 315's on it now but cant drive through a ditch without rubbing. I put air bags for towing the 40' toyhauler we had. It has a cold air intake, big exhaust from the turbo back, and it's chipped. The axles have 4:10's not 3:73's that are the most common and mines a manual six speed. Towing the fifth wheel wasn't an issue other than I hurt my turning radius a bit when I put an electric locking front diff in it.

I love this truck, it goes everywhere it should and some places it shouldn't. If you want to trade some info back and forth I'd be willing to give more details.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
I just turned 78 and I need a lift kit. And I do not even own a truck.

How does somebody as stupid as you live to be 78?

Travis

LMFAO!!! Who chews your food?!?!? LOL

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I installed a 4" spring hanger kit for ICON Vehicle Dynamics (formally Donahoe Racing) on my 2002 Ford F250.

I highly recommend just installing the hanger kits which basically just relocates the factory springs lower (which raises the vehicle) and provides the same ride quality. 4" or less will not negatively effect the steering geometry.

I have 35" tires on mine and wished now I had just used a 3" lift and the 285/75R16 tire like you plan to use. It would have saved the money I spent on a gear change (456's) and would be much easier to get in and out of. A 3" hanger kit for the front and 2" blocks in the rear with those tires will give you the little added offroad performance you will need, with plenty of room for chains if needed. A gear change would most likely not be required with the 285 series tires unless you plan on towing heavy loads often.

ICON Vehicle Dynamics are the best at lift kits for Ford Trucks!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah... okay ATSE.....
If you read into it, my wife suggested the lift and tires.
But that's okay too.
Neither, she, nor I, are attempting to make up for anything.
I think you need to move out your parents basement, and get out on your own finally. It will open your eyes, at what fun a person can have, without having to ask mom.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If i was to lift a Ford it would be a Carli pin top kit. Best unit to maintain factory geometry and improved ride quality.

I have had Icon prior and its good but the Carli flat smokes it.

For your uses a quality leveling kit with Camber shims and good shocks with air bags would be best

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ill be the first to call you a dumbass for towing a 42' fiver with 4 slides with a fuggin SRW ford that has less tow rating than my 2015 max tow half ton chevy....

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That truck will fit 285/75s with no problem without a lift. I know because that's how mine is set up right now. If I was going to be towing a good bit of the time I'd skip the 285s and go 255/85/16s. They are the same height but narrower. They drive way better and offer better traction in everything other than maybe sand and aren't as hard on front end components to boot. Narrower tires generally mean better fuel mileage as well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.