-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, yesterday I got out to the range after trying for about a month. Finally, no wind and mild temps.
I used to run H322 in my 22BR, but ran out of 322 four years ago and got caught in the Great Panics. Finally got a jug again this summer, so made a ladder set for my 22BR with H 322 over Federal 205Ms under 50 grain Zombies loaded about 3 thou off kissy face.
Book says max is 30.2 grains or so, so I loaded a run from 29.5 in tenths. 29.8 is as far as I got, with the last shot hitting the wrong bullseye about two inches away.
The first shot gave a "normal" primer, maybe a little wimpy looking. Second shot looked a bit stiffer, third the same and in the group, but well-flattened.
Last shot at 29.8 extracted normally, but the primer looked kind of spooky, tight-cornered (but not flat) with a crater rim and pushing the pin back for a shallow indent.
Compared to other "normal" reads with another load in the same cases, same day, with the same primer and 4895, I did not like what I saw. At all!
I don't have a chrono, I usually just ladder for grouping clusters and that's what I'll load, but to hit the wall so fast in the ladder surprised me -- and I AM out of practice when it comes to the voodoo.
This is a pretty tight gun, tight chamber, so everything is pretty firm. 8 twist heavy Lilja barrel.
So, it looks like this load will only take 29.5 or .6 of 322 under a 50.
Is anyone else shooting 50s over 322 in their 22BR, and what are you running grain wise?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You start at 98.7% of max in a tight chamber and wonder why you have pressure problems?

30-10%=27

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
According to my Book of Lies (Hodgdon), max for a 50 grainer is 30.5 and 30 for a 55. Top of my ladder was 30.2.
My former pet load was 52s, Sierras and Bergers, also had a good one with the AMax, at 29.5.
I was just really surprised to see how much difference a tenth of a grain makes. With other powders, this barrel likes "perky" loads and had not previously given such assertive smoke signals.
Want to know if any others have BRs and have seen the same "whoa" indicators.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I don't have a chrono, I usually just ladder for grouping clusters and that's what I'll load, but to hit the wall so fast in the ladder surprised me -- and I AM out of practice when it comes to the voodoo.
This is a pretty tight gun, tight chamber, so everything is pretty firm. 8 twist heavy Lilja barrel.

So, it looks like this load will only take 29.5 or .6 of 322 under a 50.

Probably not an issue with the 22 BR or H322, other than perhaps the powder lot.

You've answered your own questions. It also doesn't matter what anyone else does in another rifle, as the Hodgdon (or any other data) suggests grain wise.

When I used to do voodoo, I'd work up loads on a hot day with as hot as I would every feasibly get the gun.

I still do that, only I use a chronograph in conjuction.....

Last edited by HawkI; 11/19/15.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Have shot short range BR for years.Shooting a 6mm PPC, H322 was the go to powder years ago, not so much now. The current lots seem to be much Hotter than lots of years ago, also there is a lot of variation between lots. For these reasons now days, you don't see many people using it in competition. Mostly VV 133, LT-32, and occasional 8208XBR used now days. These powders are a little slower and more consistent lot to lot than the newer H322. Of course these are being shot in a 6 PPC cartridge, of which is slightly less capacity than your 22BR. Surprised to hear that H4895 was not working for you.It is usually easy to work with. Benchmark might be a good one to try in your 22BR with the light bullets. I have had good luck with H4350 and 80gr. Bergers in my 8-twist 600yd gun. If not already using them, get some wind flags out and watch them. If nothing more than surveyors tape on a stick. I can not stress enough how important they are in precision shooting.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hotter? Well, that kind of helps explain things.
Jeff, I have a good load in 4895, it is a favorite powder in at least four of my rifles. Not only is my stash of H4895 looking sparse these days, but the old jug of 322 was just a skiff better in final accuracy for me -- I did shoot through the whole thing, ya know, not all of it in the BR.
I'm perfectly fine with an accurate load being only in the mid-29s -- saves money, every 30th shot is FREE!

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dave_Skinner: One of my 22 Remington Bench Rest Rifles (Remington 40XB-BR KS with 24" factory barrel) does shoot 50 grain Sierra Blitz bullets REALLY well using 29.0 grains of H 322, Federal 205 M (match) primers in Remington cases.
I use this load and Rifle for longer range Prairie Doggin.
My supplies of H 322 are at least 8 years old though so not sure about the newer batches of H 322 compared to my older stuff.
My other 22 Remington Bench Rest (Remington 40XB-BR 24" factory barrel) is currently shooting Nosler 40 grain Ballistic Tips REALLY well using W 748 powder, LaPua cases and Federal 205M (match) primers.
I don't use a lot of the Vihtavuori powders myself (due to availability here in SW Montana) but that may be a solution to your "pressure signs" situation if you are into paper punching.
By the way if you do any Varminting with your 22 BR then be sure to try these Nosler 40 grain Ballistic Tips - they are a hoot and VERY effective at moderate 22 BR velocities.
My loading log does not say so specifically, but if I recall correctly, the reason I stopped at 29.0 grains of H 322 under the 50 grain Sierras was because the accuracy was so good there.
Best of luck to ya.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Varmintguy, I have been seeing a better selection of VV powders than usual at sportsmans warehouse in Boz lately. More powder of all brands than theyve had in a while. Just an fyi.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Timbermaster: Thank you very much for that tip!
I get through Bozeman about once every two - three months.
And by chance I am headed to Bozeman to take my friends to the airport there on Monday November 23rd as they are "wintering" in Thailand this year.
I will go check my supply of the one VV powder I use - had planned on stopping at Sportsmans Warehouse anyway.
Thanks again.
Yeah powders in better supply nowadays but brass is scarce - WTH?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't disregard the "Benchmark" advise. My 22 BR loves it with 50-55 Gr. bullets.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have shot a lot of 748 in my 40x 22BR. I normally shoot 55-grain Nosler BT's in mine. Give it a try.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking at a tiny weather window tomorrow for another "little ladder" so I'll have another go with the 322 -- turns out I just bought 8 pounds of it two months ago at a ridiculous price, so it darn well better shoot, eh?

Hopefully I'll be "on" my game when I get out for my shoot break. I've not had time for a really good range session in some while, and I'm one of those who really needs regular practice in everything I do. I have NO natural talents.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave, what scale are you using to weigh charges?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good question RR.

The green kind. RCBS. I verified it against a couple of other scales and with known weights when I first got it. I always zero it out before a session.
Every once in a while I use it to weigh bullets and it's never given me reason for concern about mis-reading. In fact, I'm usually impressed with how accurate it has been. It has been so sensitive, I had to build a wind box for it so I could use it at the range.

I also have it mounted "high" so there's no optical error.

But thanks for asking, that's a darn good question.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good scale.

I have had a 5-10 go flaky on me. Actually, it was purchased that way, used. Once I realized it was screwed up I sent it back to RCBS and I got it back about ten days later completely refurbed. The knife-edges on the balance (I'm at a loss for the right word) had gotten worn and dull. I now trust it implicitly, but it rarely gets used anymore due to my trust in my electronic scales...which brings me to the reason I asked: I DO trust my electronic scales, but I've found out that if you have a mobile phone anywhere near them, they can become unreliable. And that's the reason I asked. Sounds like you're good to go, though.

I'll be watching for the correct answer to your question. Pretty weird.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not really that weird. Just was surprised how quickly the gun started yelling back at me about what it hates. I've had the same reamer and cases for at least 15 years. I've had that barrel for about 8 years now, not shot it much because I have two other .224 parts guns that are very, very good shooters.

This one shoots well, too, but it is finicky about how I "drive" it and it's more specialized than the others.

Missed the weather window and a big cold thing is swooping down on us for the duration, so I guess I won't be loading up THAT particular load when I'm bored this winter.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 65 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.