Print Thread
Hop To
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
A parishioner stopped in this morning for a chat. He's getting up there in years, and before long he was telling me a bit about his upbringing. He mentioned in passing that while his family was involved in the manufacture of fire hoses (actually I think that at one time they were the largest manufacturer of fire hoses in the world), he had a great-uncle who was a gunsmith out in Wisconsin: A. O. Niedner. Small world, huh? Does anyone have a picture or two of a Niedner rifle? I'd like to show him sometime.

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Neidner was in Michigan after he started his company in New York. (I think New York is right... not sure.)

Anyway, he was in Dowiagic, MI for years until the company went out of business around the end of WW2. Tom Shelhamer started his gun stocking career workingfor Neidner and, after Neidner went out of business, went on to become one of America's premier stockmakers. If you examine one of the last pics on the link above, it shows "A. O. Neidner, Dowiagic, MI" on the barrel.

I've owned one Neidner and quite a few Shelhamer rifles. They are really "Pieces of Americana" and are rightly revered by knowledgable collectors.

Last edited by Dick_Wright; 11/24/15.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the correction. He did say Michigan; that was my mistake. Evidently A.O. was the mayor of the town as well. They were originally from Massachusetts. It's an interesting story as A.O. had no interest in the family business but built rifles instead. From what I understand he was a better gunmaker than businessman.

They are nice looking rifles.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have some hand loading tools made by Niedner from his Malden, Massachusetts days, as well as some odds and ends stock furniture pieces that are slated to be used in my next build. I also have some odd parts that were from an experimental rifle he designed. The stuff came out of Michel Petrov's estate, he having been one of the premier collectors of things Niedner.

A good synopsis of Niedner's history can be found in the two volume "Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century" privately published by Petrov. (Leftover copies can be found on eBay, being sold there by the guy tasked with disposing of the estate.)

Everybody who worked at Niedner's did whatever was needed to be done around the shop, although each man had a specialty. Niedner himself came in every day to work at the bench until the day he retired at a very old age (then he sat at home making trinket-like stuff). Tommy Shelhamer complained about having to spend untold hours working a hand press making custom .22 jacketed bullets. Interesting photos of the shop show a nondescript wooden building, crammed full of machine tools and work benches, and never more than a half dozen guys at work.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I seem to remember that Niedner made some 410 barrels for attaching to Savage 99 takedowns?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I seem to remember that Niedner made some 410 barrels for attaching to Savage 99 takedowns?

I have a .410 barrel for my .303 Savage. Used it in Quebec several years ago on a caribou trip. After we tagged out on 'bou I wandered around shooting spruce grouse with the .410. Don't know if Niedner made the barrel, though.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The ones I remember hearing about had a Niedner stamp on the barrel. A Savage made 410 barrel will have a Savage Arms barrel address. Have heard of a couple with no maker marks though.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 44 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,336
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.