Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hello,
My 11 yr old son is wanting his first deer rifle for Christmas. He is average build and has comfortably shot my friend's .243 Ruger M77. We mainly hunt whitetails in the foothills of north Georgia where the average shot is well under 100 yds and the deer are not big. I am wanting to keep the budget reasonable (<$400). Local WalMart has Remington 700 SPS with cheap scope for $377. I was looking at the Ruger American, particularly the Compact model due to shorter LOP and shorter barrel. I might top it off with a Redfield Revolution or same friend with .243 has said would sell an older Leupold Var-X II 2-7x33 for $100. Any input on the Ruger Compact? I like the tang safety better on it than the Remington.
All input appreciated!

Last edited by jedgreen; 11/24/15.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SPS

World's better for a first rifle!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for the reply. Any particular reason you favor the Remington?

Last edited by jedgreen; 11/24/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The SpS would be my choice over the American also. alot of after market options for it, from trigger to stock, etc. I would take a Remington 700 SPS, and be happy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jed

30 Years from now when he pulls it out of the safe and says this was my first deer rifle he will have a solid, accurate, well made rifle or a piece of plastic with cheesy magazines and flimsy forearm.

I own 1 Ruger American the allure is short, twisted properly and cheap.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Take him to the store and let the kid decide. He will probably show a definite preference for one or the other, and both will work just fine for your application.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bet that SPS package is actually an ADL.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Down the road he can do any kind of customization to the 700 and keep using his first deer rifle. I have a RAR and it sits at my property in case it's needed, so far it's never been needed.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Yes , the one at wal-mart is an ADL. I almost bought one for the action because the price is right . If you go with the 700, he can leave it as is, or customize it anyway he wants .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure if you're in a hurry to get it, but Whittakers Guns in Owensboro, KY shows a stainless Marlin XS7 on their website in 7mm -08 for $270.99. Not sure bet I'd bet they would ship. Even with shipping and FFL fees you should have plenty left for good rings and some managed recoil loads. It isn't a compact though. Just figured I'd pass the info along!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Remington. My daughter was excited to get a 'real' rifle over a budget gun (yes, she knew the difference). She has the package you describe and it shoots bug holes. The scope sucks, but what do you expect for the price of a donor action. Pull the scope and save it for a 10-22 and get a redfield 3-9 and he won't *need* another rifle for a very long time, if ever.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Jonathon
Not sure if you're in a hurry to get it, but Whittakers Guns in Owensboro, KY shows a stainless Marlin XS7 on their website in 7mm -08 for $270.99. Not sure bet I'd bet they would ship. Even with shipping and FFL fees you should have plenty left for good rings and some managed recoil loads. It isn't a compact though. Just figured I'd pass the info along!

+1.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The T/C Venture is an option for you with a $75.00 rebate.

Give Wittakers a call, Derick will be happy to help a campfire member.

Doc

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Ruger will likely shoot 'better' out of the box IME, but I would get him the Remington. The Remington is a solid rifle and that receiver will last him forever. The possibilities with the Remington are endless, he can change it over the years to suit his needs. The American is too new to know what sort of aftermarket or gunsmithing support it will have.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Whittaker's is $9.99 shipping on all long guns, hell maybe all guns. I'd still buy the Remington over the Marlin for all the same reasons stated above about future customization. Remington offers rebates of $35 on the ADL until the end of the year, and a $50 black Friday rebate on ADL rifles purchased between 11/20/15-11/30/15 if that helps. Anyway let us know what you decide.

Last edited by taylorce1; 11/24/15. Reason: Add rebate info
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Quite frankly I would pass on either budget rifle.

Long after the initial price is forgotten, the pride of ownership of a nice rifle will still be there.

I, like many here have used numerous Remingtons over the years, but their quality control is very spotty these days, and the only thing I would use a new Remington for is to tear it down and use the action as a base for a custom build.

In your sons case, I would look for an older Model 700 in .243, 6mm, or 7-08.

Or a new Tikka T3,

Or even a CZ.

Or a Browning.

There are a TON of older rifles on the market that have seen very little use, and you would most likely have a better quality rifle that he will be as proud of at 60, as 16.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I just bought a Wal Mart ADL in 7 Rem Mag. If you buy it before the end of the month there is a $50.00 black friday rebate special from Remington.I've already sold the scope and rings for $40.00 so just under $300.00 invested.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I would be very cautious about this "budget rifle" approach. I am very familiar with both rifles. I own a Ruger Compact ,243 with the laminated Black and greyish stock, I have a Leupold 3x9 VX2 Ultralight scope. That rifle gets attention from serious riflemen. However it shoots flame out the barrel and the muzzle blast and shot sounds like a clap of thunder. The 16.5 inch barrel is handy but the unburned powder and energy to me proves an 18 inch barrel would have been a better target for Ruger when they designed that rifle. The guy I know who has shot the most deer in this area (20 in three years) uses this Ruger Compact in .308. My rifle is .243 and that round is EXCELLENT for your son.

The problem as I see it is over time certain rifles lose their appeal. Either budget rifle puts your son in that not worth owning bind soon. A Remington Model 700 was my first rifle with a 18.5 inch barrel. It still turns heads among serious gun collectors and has won many offhand shooting trophies. That rifle is .222 Remington. Today a .223 would be a better choice.

Yet the .243 is WAY better as a hunting rifle round. If I had MY choice for a young son it would be the Winchester Model 70 Compact Featherweight in .243 or maybe 7mm08. I own the .243. Problem here is HOW can you get a rifle from a local dealer that will KEEP it's value. Almost every dealer is faced with budget buyers who rather rapidly are saddled with a junk rifle. bought my first rifle MYSELF. I NEVER would buy the rifle for a young son and exclude him from the purchase and see what he thinks, etc.

A Remington that gets the most favorable reviews from gun experts is the Model 7. About six years ago I passed up on one with a lovely figured wood stock in .243. Why? At the time i was still favoring the .244 also known as the 6MM Remington. Huge mistake! The .243 Winchester is one of the best and most available rounds in the world and the .244 and the 6mm Remingtons are reloaders cartridges.

Looking forward to hearing what you two do!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I bet that SPS package is actually an ADL.

Actually it is a budget BDL since it has a floor plate.

The Ruger is the better rifle in every way.

Don't concern yourself in buying a lifetime rifle for an 11 year old kid. Many of you are looking at this through the eyes of 50+ year old hunters. Kids today don't want the rifles we wanted when we were younger. There is a reason polished metal and walnut rifles are gathering dust in stores, younger shooters don't want them.

When he is a little older and has some hunting experience he will decide what rifles he likes and wants and can upgrade if he wants.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have a serious issue with your statement about walnut stocks and metal rifles gathering dust! Where did you get that conclusion from. I am a former Army Colonel and have followed the whole gun industry for years. Being at big gunstores on lucky occasions I am particularly interested in hearing what father, grandfather, and younger sons and daughter say when they are shopping for that first entry rifle!

It is pretty interesting to watch what they end up with! Chuck Hawks has one of the best respected reviews on the Internet. He clearly favors walnut stocks. I have always noted in looking at combat rifles how many countries use wooden stocks in conditions that many USA hunters would feel greatly would favor "modern fiberglass or composite stocks".
Authorities like Jack O'Connor used wooden stocks when many had shifted to change composites.

Often at big gunstores I ask buyers what would be your ultimate choice in a rifle. Wooden stocks and good barrels and actions is the answer most often.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 3,349 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.