Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
.257 Roberts (usually referred to in this version as .257 Plus P) is considered a long action, some list the round as long action! So be advised for .257 Roberts be sure to check out the EXACT cartridge and length of action! I have never put the wrong cartridge in a rifle chamber in any other caliber. But .257 Roberts I did load in a .243 from a cartridge belt in the field! Luckily BOTH rounds I mistakenly chambered in a .243 (Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow SS) jammed in the chamber and the bolt had to be next day placed on a deck, pointed in the safe direction and lightly tapped with a rubber mallet and the WRONG round safely ejected! Make SURE you carry rounds in a cartridge belt for only what you are shooting on that trip!

LONG answer but having handled many weapons under many conditions such diligence is required! AGAIN the .257 Roberts is to me one of the best rounds for light to medium game. The 7X57 Mauser was very similar.
You can read a great chapter on the .7X57 in Jack O'Connor's book
The Hunting Rifle in the chapter titled "Great Round in a Little Case" Jack sold all his reloading dies for 7X57 and felt the .257 Roberts was the best round available when he wrote the HuntinG Rifle book. He also sadly stated the .257 was going down the drain but recently quite a few manufactures produced .257 such as Winchester Model 70s in both the Featherweight and the Cabel's .257 Roberts Anniversary Featherweight Deluxe.

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
To Dirt Farmer:

I am a USA farmer. We have become pretty diversified in our farming operation and even have made some custom gunstocks. Our farm is listed as a tree farm. We do some truck gardening too, some beef still, but producing cherry and oak timbers and the like is an important portion of our farm revenue. Wild hogs and Coy Wolves have both taxed us in farming in several locations and has, required some hunting to control damage and both can be tough targets! .243 is the usual round for for "coyote" and wild hogs, I use .257 more for deer. I also had a .257 Weatherby Magnum but that round was better for someone going on African Safari than me as a farmer and the Weatherby rounds were mega expensive. My brother still has his .257 Weatherby, but I prefer the .257 Roberts! For years we have also been in the farm aquaculture business and it is one of the most important, although frustrating aspects of farming. Ocean farming supplies MOST of the food fish worldwide and I played a role in that industry, specially Atlantic Salmon ocean pen farming.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
After 38 years of gunsmithing and having always liking the 257 Roberts, I finally made one for myself. Mine is on a FN Mauser action and is throated .165 longer than standard. The barrel is a gain twist finishing at 1 in 12 at 24 inches. I contoured it to .540 at the muzzle. In a reshaped factory Marlin stock and wearing a Weaver K-4, it weighs 7 3/4 pounds.
So far, it has fired 16 100 grain Hornadys over 4350. Shoots well and will get carried for predators this winter. GD

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DF. hope you enjoy all the good things this year will bring you...Maybee for your birthday ya all will get your favorite food...ScottyO.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by greydog
After 38 years of gunsmithing and having always liking the 257 Roberts, I finally made one for myself. Mine is on a FN Mauser action and is throated .165 longer than standard. The barrel is a gain twist finishing at 1 in 12 at 24 inches. I contoured it to .540 at the muzzle. In a reshaped factory Marlin stock and wearing a Weaver K-4, it weighs 7 3/4 pounds.
So far, it has fired 16 100 grain Hornadys over 4350. Shoots well and will get carried for predators this winter. GD

Sounds like an interesting set up. I have no experience with gain twist.

Try H100V vs. 4350 with the 100 gr. Horn. over a chrono. I've gotten really good accuracy with both powders, H100V is faster.

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DaveyJ
To Dirt Farmer:

I am a USA farmer. We have become pretty diversified in our farming operation and even have made some custom gunstocks. Our farm is listed as a tree farm. We do some truck gardening too, some beef still, but producing cherry and oak timbers and the like is an important portion of our farm revenue. Wild hogs and Coy Wolves have both taxed us in farming in several locations and has, required some hunting to control damage and both can be tough targets! .243 is the usual round for for "coyote" and wild hogs, I use .257 more for deer. I also had a .257 Weatherby Magnum but that round was better for someone going on African Safari than me as a farmer and the Weatherby rounds were mega expensive. My brother still has his .257 Weatherby, but I prefer the .257 Roberts! For years we have also been in the farm aquaculture business and it is one of the most important, although frustrating aspects of farming. Ocean farming supplies MOST of the food fish worldwide and I played a role in that industry, specially Atlantic Salmon ocean pen farming.

Man, you are diversified. I do love seeing ag. operations and would enjoy visiting with you, wish I was closer.

We continually shoot coyotes and "coy-dogs" on sight. They run in packs and can be a nuisance around a cow-calf operation.

I had a .257 Wby, but that gun is now a 7RM after a new Brux was fitted. My .257R was a trade, that is the barreled action and Ti take off stock. As noted earlier, I converted the ADL stock to BDL, glassed and free floated for a nice rig. The more I use the .257R, the better I like it and understand the loyal following it's had for so many years. It's just a nicely balanced round, perfect for our local WT's and hogs.

DF

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Yeah I feel the .257 Roberts is darn near perfect. Many .243 here at my place but it is pretty light for anything bigger than deer. I have photographed Elk and if I was hunting them I would use the .257 Roberts or my .270 JOC Winchester Model 70.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
BTW, Davey, welcome to the Fire.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Kill a deer with the .257 Roberts yet DF?

How about a head shot hog at 80 yds...

Used the 115 gr. NBT at around 2,900 fps., 100 gr. TTSX rounds in the mag as back up. I used the Ballistic Tip first, as we chest shoot our deer. I figure mono-metals are probably better for follow up shots when presentation may not be that good.

This bullet made a small entrance and a bigger exit, didn't blow up like earlier BT's. These new BT's seem much less friable than earlier ones. And as noted, accuracy is stellar.

At least that's my current thinking. As a Loony, that's always subject to change...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Kill a deer with the .257 Roberts yet DF?

Yep.

This afternoon, shot a 120# doe at 150 yds. using Gunner's load (100 TTSX over 47 gr. H100V).

She was quartering toward me, seemed a bit nervous and had her head up, so I decided to take the shot rather than wait for better presentation. I hit her in the crease between shoulder and neck, the bullet exited near the diaphragm, opposite side. Good chest tissue destruction, basically spared both front quarters. She was obviously hit hard, made a 30 yd. death run and piled up.

DF

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Congrats DF! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks,

Took a while to answer your question. I got side tracked by the 135 gr. Copper Raptor in my .308.

Got back to basics, hanging with the quarter bore for now.

At least until I get my newly built 6.5 Creed sighted in...

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Thanks,

Took a while to answer your question. I got side tracked by the 135 gr. Copper Raptor in my .308.

DF
Rifle Looney! grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Thanks,

DF
Rifle Looney! grin

You reckon..??

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
laugh

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congrats DF!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Mike.

Seems you know a good bit about this particular rifle... laugh

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Gunner500 sold me some .257R ammo (his magic load). He had traded his Roberts for a .280AI and his Roberts ammo became available.

I don't shoot other people's reloads as a rule. But in this case, not a problem.

So, I now have a good supply of 100 TTSX/H100V .257R ammo. The 100 TTSX at 3,250 fps is a killer and of course, super accurate.

Thanks, Gunner.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, Yo welcomed DF, glad you finally put that little buzzsaw to work, I found another loaded round, next time we sink a blade into a steak I'll pass it across the table to ya.blush grin

Sounds like that doe didn't know she was dead yet on the short U.B. dash.laugh

Trump Won!
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.