Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Hogeye
No, especially not the variety we used to see. I haven't seen the CCI SGB in years, which I miss because my favorite .22 puts them all in one hole and the flat point makes it especially deadly. some guy in Baltimore advertises it on GB, he must have bought it all when CCI stopped making it.

Roll your own.

http://www.reedercustomguns.com/revolvers/flatnose.htm

Paco Kelly also sells a FN tool. Easy to use.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I been doing this by using a Redding neck bushing

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am pretty near out of SGB, I will have to do that. But, at least the last batch of SGB I bought, was the most accurate stuff that old rifle ever saw.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]...[Linked Image]

I use Paco's tool. At first I used the Nastinose - a big honkin' HP maker - but now, all I use is the dish nose. It flattens the meplats and puts a shallow dish on the bullet.

In both pix, the original cartridge is in the middle, flanked by altered meplats.

The dish nose is shown in the picture on the left. In the picture on the right, you can see the Nastinose HP maker. It produces a large HP. The far right cartridge has had the dish nose formed with the original factory HP.

https://www.303british.com/id61.html

You can see what I got here. I passed no judgments, just asked for opinions. Dozens of people wrote and there were varied opinions on performance. The only thing I know is the accuracy did not suffer using the dish nose punch, fed normally but made bigger wounds.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am happy to report that I have purchased 5,000 22LR in the past week.

Academy is selling 525 bulk packs of WW 22HP for $27.99. Limit 2 packs.

Between my wife and I, we got 6 bulk packs earlier this week in Houston...then snagged 4 more at an Academy in Austin today.

In all, I have added 8,000 rounds to the stash in the past month (WW, Federal and Remington).

I am feeling much better about my inventory now...heck, I might actually go out plinking with the rimfires for the first time in 5 or 6 years!

22 Mag is very tough here though. I had to search all over town to find some FMJ target ammo from S&B. And it was nearly $17/50!

Tim

Last edited by Tarbe; 11/27/15.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just came from a store called "The White Elephant" in Spokane and was able to grab FOUR boxes of Hornaday Critical Defense 45gr flex tip HP 22WMR ammo for only $13.50/box! I am pretty pleased with that find.

While I have been able to grab some types of 22WMR ammo, the excellent Critical Defense ammo has been a LONG time off of any shelves that I could locate, and it really does significantly outperform anything else in a 22WMR handgun.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Safariman
I'll make you a deal on some 22 ammo. $20/brick.

In the interest of full disclosure, bullets and powder are not included.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Safariman: Not here in western Montana - I see some "duds" like Remington SHORT hollow-points but they are VERY expensive and useless to me.
I also see some CCI shorts and foreign made 22 stuff but nothing priced fairly or usable to me.
I am seeing MORE of this "dud" stuff of late though, but again no help to me.
Its been 38 (thirty eight!) months now of this shortage/manufacturing conundrum!
In 38 (thirty eight!) months I have NOT seen ANY Winchester 40 grain Power-Point (hollow-points) on a stores shelves in the 7 (seven!) states I have traveled through during that time!
Lots of 17 HMR though where all I travel to of recent.
I am very happy for you and your Cascade store - YOU did not mention the prices you paid for the "buckets" and the "cartons" of Remington Golden bullets - I hope the prices YOU paid also made you happy.
Wishing things were different for the New Year.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Not a steady supply around here lately. Poor grade 22 lr and no 22 mag. I have been looking for Wolf match target at a reasonable price. I am still looking. Good shooting

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Varmint Guy, we are in much the same boat as you.. The Wyo. stores don't off much more than what you have described.. Then at higher price than I will pay..

I have picked up several thousand rounds of Rem. HPLR, and WW HPLR ammo over the last year.. Despite what folks say, I have had good success with the Rem ammo.. It is NOT CCI, but I have killed many thousands of gophers with it.. If I could get CCI at a fair price, I would opt for it.. Most of my best buys however were on a trip in the upper mid west early last summer.. Haven't been out of the Wy/MtId area since that time.. I have found NO reasonable buys on ammo in this area..

Fortunately, I have enough for my needs, but right now there doesn't seem to be a chance to replace my supply as I shoot it up.. We have NEVER as far as I know had a good supply of WW Power Points.. I have a little stash of odds and ends ammo that I picked up for one reason or another.. Years ago I bought 2 bricks of Power Point.. Shot one away, but still have the other.. I would like a bit more, but it is rare stuff in this country..

Molon Labe
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
WyoCoyoteHunter: I very well remember the somewhat rarity of Winchester Power-Points even prior to October 2,012 (when hussein obama was being re-elected or it was sure it was gonna happen) and THIS shortage started.
These wonderful 22 L.R. hollow-points have shot, at least, WELL in every Rifle and pistol I have ever shot them in!
Yeah they were kind of rare back then but I could find enough to keep my several higher quality rimfire Varmint Rifles and pistols shooting when I wanted.
Nowadays I never see them on store shelves (and I get into a LOT of stores!) but only see them at gunshows on occasion - and then they are priced to high or completely out of sight!
A year or two ago I saw some 37 grain Winchester Power-Points on a shelf but my best guns are sighted in with the 40 grainers.
Stay warm down Wyoming way.
Yesterday I helped some friends break tent camp and load Elk and it was 12 degrees below zero when we started and just 5 above when we finished.
Hope you find some Winnies soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Grafs has the lowest prices and best selection I have found.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lapua6547

Thanks, I might look them up. After this latest debacle, I am now going to be stocking up more than I have in the past.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Are you talking about your latest debacle or the ammo debacle?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SLM
Are you talking about your latest debacle or the ammo debacle?

Haha!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We are the cause of the .22 ammo shortage.

We can easily buy as much .22 ammo as we want. http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr

I'll bet most of us on this thread had plenty of .22 ammo before this even started, still have plenty, and will have plenty for the rest of our lives.

If we all stopped hoarding everything would be back to normal in a few weeks.

Alone in the Fortress of the Bears
70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska:
Foraging, Fishing, Hunting
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by lapua6547

Thanks, I might look them up. After this latest debacle, I am now going to be stocking up more than I have in the past.

That's wonderful to hear.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not seeing any increase in supply here, and don't even think about buying any .22 WMR. Can't find any.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I get my 22 from a distributor so I've not had much trouble. 22 Magnum on the shelf around here seems like a historical myth.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Buck_: You're dreaming!
I personally know the owners of MANY gunshops in 5 western states and they tell me, and have been telling me for some time, that the shipments in response to orders they make for 22 L.R. ammo is no where near what they received BEFORE October of 2,012!
And if you think 8 to 15 cents a round for 22 ammo PLUS the expensive shipping is "just ducky" - then YOU have another think needed!
I don't think this shortage is "just ducky" and I don't think this SHORTAGE that started INSTANTLY in October of 2,012 is/was caused by hoarding!
I will stop buying 22 L.R. hollow-point ammo WHEN I have a full lifetime supply no matter WHAT you are dreaming about.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 77 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.