Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Update:

Since firing about 80 rounds out of the aforementioned carton and getting leading strips in my SR22, just for the helluvit I hand lubed a batch with SPG. I fired off about 100 rounds today and got zero leading. Unlike the first batch with no FTF, I got about three that needed a second hit to fire.

This experiment indicated that the leading problem is from inadequate lube in factory production.

Needless to say, I won't be buying any more Thundercrap.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldjerr1939
It fail me to understand why any manufacture would want to put out that kind of junk with out a lot of effort, they could make it good stuff. Raising the price a few cents a box would not be a problem because from CRAP to good people would still buy. Why would you like to be known as manufactures of pure crap//

It's called the Walmart mentality. Bubba will buy the cheapest 22rf ammo he can find and Remington is more than willing to sell the cheapest 22rf ammo in mass quantities.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My Anschutz 54 sporter doesn't like ANY ammunition made by Remington. With other brands it varies from one load to another. But with Remington it has never shot a group less than .75 at 50 yds. usually much larger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Yup, I don't think I ever made it through 100 rds of thundercrap w/o 2-3 FTF's. On the flip side we've gone through 1000's of Fed bulk 22's in the 550ct boxes and I don't recall any FTF's.

I've got a couple of those 550 boxes I picked up during Obamascare 2008, and FTFs are to be expected from time to time. At first, I thought it was just the timing problem I was having with my New Bearcat, but Ruger fixed that. Last week I was burning up a few in my 22/45 and had one FTF out of about 140. It went off when rechambered.

At the same time I picked up the 550s, I als got some Winchester white box and later silver box bulk. I don't recall any trouble with those and the accuracy has been good enough for pistol practice.

In the future, I'm sticking with CCI, RWS, and Aguila. Accurate and reliable and available online often enough to keep me ahead of the demand curve.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I will play it safe and will never buy anything, anything with the Remington name on the box.

Those junk artists cannot even make a gun wipe, or any other wipe for that matter. It boggles the mind, cleaning kit, any gun product, certainly not a gun, good for nothing company.

I had a yellow/white plastic dispenser with oil treated gun wipes that pull up from the center of the tube. I needed more. It seems this company was bought out and now comes in a green Remcrap container. How bad can it? Right? I buy a tube, $10, no less. Go home, pull one out. No oil, little oil, worthless - junk. My last wipe (siting for a week) from the old pack still does 10x the job of a new Remington wipe right out of the can. The Rem rags dry enough to use on my private parts. I guess they can make those kind of wipes after all.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I tried the newly manufactered thunderduds today along with some winchester 40 grainers,federal 40 grainers, cci 40 grainers and reminton goldens 36 grain hps.

MHO, thunder duds still suck, winchester ammo was next to the bottom, 3rd was the cci next was the fed and the best groups came from the remington goldens. I somehow forgot to take the one 50 count box of stingers I still have left. Plus I have a 50 box of subsonic winchester that was left behind. I would like to ad having been a longtime fannof marlin bolt rimfires, this bolt on this brand new xp is crude at best? Rough as hell and alot of ejecti n g problems and load jamming problems. Still decently accurate, but nothing like my older 22 mag883 or 882 or the 917v. Maybe the crappy Bushnell rimfire scope

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I would like to ad having been a longtime fannof marlin bolt rimfires, this bolt on this brand new xp is crude at best? Rough as hell and alot of ejecti n g problems and load jamming problems. Still decently accurate, but nothing like my older 22 mag883 or 882 or the 917v. Maybe the crappy Bushnell rimfire scope

I seen this first hand and all to common an experience. Those who dont know or care,may keep the product line alive - does it matter?

As far as thundercrap/dud (Ha I like that) shooting poorly or dirty or misfires, vs golden looking good. That is just a snap shop and nothing I would take to the bank. If you see the name CCI on the box you can expect reasonable quality. That is a big difference, gun individual preferences aside. I would not even be interested in sampling any ammo in a green box.

For 36 hP hunting loads, the minimags seem to do well across the board (with friends and club members) and quality appears to be very consistent. You can buy with confidence, unless Remington aquires that brand and then watch out.

At this point, I would rather see "China" on a box than "Illion NY". What a shame.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
fourbore,

Remington's rimfire ammo has been made in Lonoke, Arkansas for quite a while now, which may or may not be part of the problem.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What the heck? If all one was doing was plinking tin cans in the back yard, wouldn't el-cheapo ammo that gave an occasional misfire or dirty-ed up the bore be ok? In that respect this ammo has a place somewhere in this world. If empty beer cans at 50 feet were the targets du jour I sure as heck wouldn't waste premium ammo on them by shucking it through an old pump gun- so what if a few don't go off, and I'll be cleaning the gun at the end of the day anyway. Aspirins at 50 yards with a target rifle are a whole 'nother story...

I'm not defending Remington's sloppy QC. Shame on them for permitting crap like that to be foisted on us. Still, there's a place and a time for everything.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Miserable stuff. On my never buy again list along with Winchester wildcat, most Remington UMC ammo.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen old Thunderbolt that was exposed to our extreme heat,....it goes really WEIRD, and exudes a very acidic and vile liquid.

Than and again, maybe MOST powders would ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too have had trouble with Remington bulk .22lr ammo. Aside from burning dirty, they achieve inconsistent velocities and I find that many have the projectiles only loosely held in the casing. I have had few FTF's, but the other problems I have had more than make up for that. I am currently trying to shoot up the ones I have left and do not plan on buying any more. In the big box I prefer Federal, followed by Winchester 36gr hp's. CCI's work right most (99+%)of the time and function flawlessly, so they get eaten by the semi-autos.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen it appear on a shelf in the LGS now and then, mostly then and usually there is only one box. I pass on it due to some of the same experience noted here. Crap stuff especially in autos.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Around here, Thunderbolt ammo is called "Maypops". The early morning Walmark crowds seem to enjoy very much. I have a couple of grandsons that actually dislike the stuff.....and I dislike them having to phucaround with reloading or repositioning the ammo in the chamber. All things considered, it ain't cheap.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here's my follow up to this thread that I started. I've gone through most of the original carton. consistent with others' experience, I got significant leading. Just as an experiment, I then hand lubed a batch with SPG, and another with liquid alox. That cut down the leading significantly. I haven't had many failures to fire, and I can't speak to accuracy because I've fired them only in a Ruger SR22. I wouldn't think of shooting them through a decent rifle barrel.

Bottom line: They're a major PITA, but can be made to work. I'd have to be pretty desperate to buy more.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would never mention Remington and quality in the same sentence. Like another poster said, I will never buy Remington crap again.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Found a partial box of Thunderbolts in my stash from pre-hoarding days and tried them in my suppressed Buckmark to see if they would be subsonic out of the 4" barrel. One ten round magazine produced 2 failure to fire, both fired on the second try, and one fail to eject that sounded like a squib load. I checked the barrel to make sure it exited & it did, but I could tell a distinct difference in the report even with the suppressor.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Dirty and they corrode quickly. Might try coating what I have left as a previous poster suggested to see if they can be made to shoot.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thunderbolt and quality equals oxymoron.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A girl came to the range by herself today. She had a Glock 26, Glock 43, and SR22. All hers. I was impressed. She was shooting Thunderturds out of her SR22. Gave her some tips on where and how to buy some real ammo.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 70 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.