Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I can live with 20 oz's but a 4x16x42 or 44 with a capped windage that was under 24 0z's would be the sweet spot for a lot of shooters......just dreaming out loud!

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
What would ya'll mount a 20oz 4-16x scope on, and what would you use it for?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
A sporter weight, deer &elk

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Have you killed a bunch of big game at long range with sporter weight rifles and 16x scopes?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like NF has added a Mil-Dot reticle with .1 mil adjustments to the SHV line

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=541&f=5511&t=14335096&p=1

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Have you killed a bunch of big game at long range with sporter weight rifles and 16x scopes?

How many big game animals do I have to kill before I'm worthy of a 16x scope?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It's an experience thing. Most when they start shooting at longer and longer ranges start going up in power. The problem is that as you start shooting at range on moving mammals, as opposed to a steel and targets, the importance of gathering all available information during and after the shot becomes extremely important. Unless you always use a spotter, high power scopes and light rifles don't mix real well.

Higher power helps with one aspect- finer aiming. It hurts in most/all others- field of view, catching impact/splash, tracking the animal, and reacquiring for follow up shots.

Lower power (below 10 or so) hurts in one aspect- courser aiming, yet helps in all others. Aiming is overcome by the fact that you're shooting at relatively large targets.

The reason for the question of your experience killing big game at longer ranges, is because it is the most common trend among those who haven't done a bunch of killing past normal ranges.

Less, very often, is more.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I don't need a 16x scope but I like to play around on steel with a little higher magnification scope, have taken big game to 607 yds with 10x and realize the trade offs with higher magnification........
14x on a 12" plate
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Anybody have one of the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42's? I'm considering one for use on a 30-06 Model 70 I'm putting together.

I bought one and sold it before mounting it on a rifle. The SHV did not work well for me.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's an experience thing. Most when they start shooting at longer and longer ranges start going up in power. The problem is that as you start shooting at range on moving mammals, as opposed to a steel and targets, the importance of gathering all available information during and after the shot becomes extremely important. Unless you always use a spotter, high power scopes and light rifles don't mix real well.

Higher power helps with one aspect- finer aiming. It hurts in most/all others- field of view, catching impact/splash, tracking the animal, and reacquiring for follow up shots.

Lower power (below 10 or so) hurts in one aspect- courser aiming, yet helps in all others. Aiming is overcome by the fact that you're shooting at relatively large targets.

The reason for the question of your experience killing big game at longer ranges, is because it is the most common trend among those who haven't done a bunch of killing past normal ranges.

Less, very often, is more.

We might have to agree to disagree. cool

In my experience 10X is lacking when applying real precision in field shots.

It is not a "courser aiming" issue.

It is about reading mirage.

It is about picking the 360" bull out of a gaggle of 320" bulls.

It is about picking the anterless deer from a spike at distance.

If you don't have a spotter then 10X or less is even more of a handicap.

If your rifle/16X or so optic combo does not allow you to see bullet impact then you need to learn proper shooting technique. That is cut and dried.

In other words if your stance and grip allow the rifle to recoil enough (off line)to prevent you from seeing impact then spend a bit more time at the range learning how to control the recoil.

If you can not acquire animals fast and efficiently at 16X or so then you need to practice a bit more. shocked

I would be willing to compare my real world game killing experience at distance to anyone advocating a 10X or less solution.

As you say "It's an experience thing." grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
You do much "spotting impacts" with sporter weight BG rifles and 16x scopes from field positions other than prone and bipod, John?

You read a whole lot of mirage through a 14x scope...? Don't you normally have a spotting scope, and you usually have a spotter/partner along as well, correct?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of the 3-10x42s and have tested it pretty extensively. It tracks correctly and is generally "user-friendly". It is about as good a scope as I've seen at that price point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You do much "spotting impacts" with sporter weight BG rifles and 16x scopes from field positions other than prone and bipod, John?

You read a whole lot of mirage through a 14x scope...? Don't you normally have a spotting scope, and you usually have a spotter/partner along as well, correct?

Question #1. Of course.

Question #2. Of course.

Makes me smile that reading mirage at 14X stymies some. Look more. cool

It is actually kinda funny to think of who exactly would make me change a wind call when I have 14.7X and they have a spotting scope.

Pro Tip: The list is very short. laugh

Pro Tip #2: You are not on that list but given a bit of training you might make the cut. Practice more???

Pro Tip # 2 was a bit of jab. Just havin fun. laugh

Here is a bit of a hint.
3 good hits for 3 shot with 2 moving at 550yds. cool

You might not want to play this game. shocked

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What would ya'll mount a 20oz 4-16x scope on, and what would you use it for?

A bench gun or the likes. And for use, just banging steel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I actually went to pick up a NSX 2.5-10, and they were out of stock. (The web page said they had inventory) Anyway they had the SHV 3-10 and I was afraid to cut corners. I figure cry once is a good motto, even though I can't believe I was going to drop 2K on a scope - with tax. So where do they cut corners on the SHV? No illumination, no zero stop, what else? I am getting a 3-9 SWFA for Christmas, so I think the SHV would not get me much more?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm no long range guy, but have poked at coyotes at 600 on many occasions.

Higher power has never been a handicap. It's always been a benefit IME if it's used correctly.

A little common sense goes a long way.

At distances where wind drift becomes a factor, a 14X scope ain't gonna handicap you...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Question #1. Of course.

Question #2. Of course.

Makes me smile that reading mirage at 14X stymies some. Look more. cool

It is actually kinda funny to think of who exactly would make me change a wind call when I have 14.7X and they have a spotting scope.

Pro Tip: The list is very short. laugh

Pro Tip #2: You are not on that list but given a bit of training you might make the cut. Practice more???

Pro Tip # 2 was a bit of jab. Just havin fun. laugh

Here is a bit of a hint.

You might not want to play this game. shocked

Mr. Seinfeld, did that 2nd round really hit that bull in the dome?

Tanner

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Mr. Seinfeld, did that 2nd round really hit that bull in the dome?

Tanner

Not sure I'd call that 3 good hits. 1st round appears to be a miss (or has no effect on the bull), 2nd round bounces of an antler, and 3rd drops him.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I don't know what y'all are talking about, I see great shooting with a "sporter rifle" and high power scope at long range with "no spotter".

Clearly exactly how ackleyfan hunts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the system that SunTan Dan uses along with a half dozen other system builders (Red Rock, Western Precision, Best of the West, MOA, Sub MOA etc) makes a lot more sense and is faster than counting clicks, although that does limit someone who likes to experiment with different bullets/loads and one who travels to different elevations. Of course buying an extra turret or two is cheap enough too.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.