Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This whole farce about thawing the turkey in the 'fridge for 4 days that results in a still-frozen bird when it is time to put it in the oven - who ever came up with that and are they still laughing?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brine and thaw it at the same time.

Alton Brown Brine/Thaw at same time

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have been putting the frozen bird in a cooler of tap water, and letting it thaw for two days for several years, and we ain't dead yet.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We have been putting the frozen bird in a cooler of tap water, and letting it thaw for two days for several years, and we ain't dead yet.

Exactly ! Works like a charm ! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WHOA !!!! Shiver me gizzards grin

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
IIRC, a rule-of-thumb for defrosting a turkey is 5 hours per pound of bird in a refrigerator.

Ours is sitting in an unheated garage at ~ 40*. Perfect by Thurs. morning.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on how cold you have your fridge set?

For the guys who brine there turkeys, are you frying it rather then roasting it?

I haven't bought a whole turkey in years as prefer just the crown or one of the turkey joints..

If I was going to use a whole turkey, I would try to buy fresh and avoid all the defrosting hassle....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pete E
Depends on how cold you have your fridge set?

For the guys who brine there turkeys, are you frying it rather then roasting it?

I haven't bought a whole turkey in years as prefer just the crown or one of the turkey joints..

If I was going to use a whole turkey, I would try to buy fresh and avoid all the defrosting hassle....

I brine then cook on the grill or smoker. If I'm going to fry it, I usually don't brine it but I do inject it.

For those that haven't brined a bird, I highly recommend it. The meat comes out very moist and flavorful. There are a number of brine recipes on the internets, but 1 cup salt, 1/2 gallon of apple juice, couple tablespoons of tyme, rosemary, and sage, and about a tablespoon of pepper. Heat the brine to dissolve the salt, and pour it in a container big enough to hold the bird and extra liquid. I use a food grade 4 gallon bucket, but you could use a cooler or whatever you have (no metal). Cover the bird with water, put a lid on it, and let it sit in cool spot for a day. When you pull it out before cooking, you can rinse it off, or not, up to you. The days of dry turkey will be over once you start doing this.

I've since had turkey cooked without brining a few times, and there is no comparison.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.