Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Here's a plug for Eileen Clarke's "Slice of the Wild" cookbook. I bought it for my wife, and she loves it. She told me to share that, in a decade of regular cooking, she's never had a stew turn out well -- until Meredith's Secret Ingredient Stew (made with elk). Looking forward to trying more recipes in Eileen's book.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you. Will check it out. Always looking for someway different to cook game meat so the wife will eat it.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Eileen reprinted Slice earlier this year, in a paperback with spiral binding so the book will lie flat on a counter or table. The price is also somewhat less than the hardcover, but she does have a few hardcovers left for those who prefer them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've enjoyed the recipes, but the section on processing is the best described and illustrated I've seen in any book. I got enough tips from that section (especially on cutting steaks from the rump) that I feel that section alone is worth the price of the book.

TANSTAAFL
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
I've enjoyed the recipes, but the section on processing is the best described and illustrated I've seen in any book. I got enough tips from that section (especially on cutting steaks from the rump) that I feel that section alone is worth the price of the book.

I utilized the illustrated butchering instructions as well. I might just purchase a spiral bound version and give the hard cover to a friend for xmas.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The paper/spiral edition also has an index, which Eileen didn’t include in the hardcover—though she eventually posted one on riflesandrecipes.com 2-3 so people who wanted an idex could print it out. Some errors in the first edition were also fixed, such as one place where she neglected to suggest exactly how much of “Gideon’s grub rub” should be used on a roast. So it’s a slightly improved version of the hardcover.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Crowkiller

^^^^^^

This

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

How's the annual Dink-a-Thon going?

This has been the weirdest hunting season we've had in a long time. After our annual freezer-shuffle, we realized we didn't have much space for "new meat," especially after putting 150 pounds of ducks and geese inside after our trip to Alberta in September. That's in addition to the 10 big game animals we butchered last year, if you can call a couple of 50-pound Texas pigs and several doe deer and pronghorn big game.

We planned to trophy hunt only this fall, but didn't draw pronghorn tags (first time in decades), and also got wrapped up in some unexpected work, including my trip to Finland during the second week of November. So far we've each seen several bucks but nothing outstanding, but Eileen has a whitetail B-tag and her trigger finger is getting really itchy....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I received my copy a few days ago.
Looking forward to putting it to use.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I'm sure, like me, you've all bought a bunch of "wild game cookbooks" through the years. Maybe a decent recipe or 3 in most of them. I have nothing that's even in the same league as Slice of the Wild. Well written, best processing section I've ever read, fantastic recipes all. I also appreciate that the ingredients she calls for are what you already have in stock, or you can pick up at your local grocery store.

I have the hardback version, and have been able to survive without an index! Can't imagine anyone being disappointed.

IC B3

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by USMC2602
I'm sure, like me, you've all bought a bunch of "wild game cookbooks" through the years. Maybe a decent recipe or 3 in most of them. I have nothing that's even in the same league as Slice of the Wild. Well written, best processing section I've ever read, fantastic recipes all. I also appreciate that the ingredients she calls for are what you already have in stock, or you can pick up at your local grocery store.

I have the hardback version, and have been able to survive without an index! Can't imagine anyone being disappointed.

+1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The cookbook is good and the Sausage book is also a good one. We just made a batch of breakfast sausage with elk meat scraps that have been in the freezer to long. I swear it is the best sausage I have ever had.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Eileen says it's good to hear all the positive feedback!

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
its a great book! We butchered our first three deer this year thanks to the wonderful "How to" section.
We love this book. Next up is to try our hand at sausages. I am Betting that Sausage season will be just as easy to follow and have great recipes as well.
A most excellent book!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
where did you find this cookbook?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by LostArra
where did you find this cookbook?

Me too?

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rifles and Recipes is John Barsness and Eileen Clarke's website where they sell their self published books. I've read that due to the loads the holiday traffic has put on their website it's better to call.

406-521-0273 Monday to Saturday 4 to 7 PM Mountain Time only

Last edited by Azar; 12/14/15.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Azar,

Thanks for listing the phone #, but actually you can call any day but Sunday.

Apparently our web provider typed Thursday when he should have typed Monday. Eileen's trying to fix it right now.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,

Sorry I simply pulled that from your website not knowing it was wrong (it did surprise me a bit on the limited days wink ). I've corrected my post to reflect the correct days.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No problem, in fact thanks for posting it! We didn't realize it listed the wrong days, but Eileen's got it fixed now.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.