Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by GuyM

Lovin' the parade of rifles & pronghorns here!
They're fun to hunt. Stalking was more challenging than I anticipated. And they taste GREAT!

Regards, Guy

It is odd that so many people make disparaging comments about how antelope taste...

I've shot one. It is probably tied with elk as my favorite red meat. I thought I had just been lucky with the one I shot, I'm glad to hear it is more common.

The flavor was similar to our Georgia whitetail, but it was so much more tender. I'm going back next year for another.

TANSTAAFL
GB1

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've shot them with a 243Win and 25-06(x2)-both all with Ballistic Tips, 95gr in the 243 and 115gr in the 25-06. They both worked great. The 243 was a Rem700 ADL in a McMillan and I sure enjoyed carrying it more than the 25-06 which was a Ruger 77R tanger. I tend to do more walking while hunting antelope than others. Ruger decided 25-06's should have magnum contour barrels during that time period and this rifle is way too heavy for my taste. It was my first centerfire rifle and I decided I had to use it for an antelope for sentimental reasons so it made the trip this year. It worked great on 2 of them but I will probably not carry it again. For a purely antelope rifle I doubt there is much that works better than a 243 with a 95 gr Ballistic Tips.

I love the flavor of the antelope I have eaten. My daughter who loves venison actually said she prefers antelope. She calls it 'sweeter'. My wife thinks it smells a little 'goaty' but likes the flavor once cooked. I think it does have a bit stronger smell which to me reminds me of sage. I think different people smell and taste in different ways and are influenced by their experiences. Since mine have always been shot in sage-maybe that is what I associate them with. Either way-one of my favorite animals to hunt and eat.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by GuyM

Lovin' the parade of rifles & pronghorns here!
They're fun to hunt. Stalking was more challenging than I anticipated. And they taste GREAT!

Regards, Guy

It is odd that so many people make disparaging comments about how antelope taste...

No doubt! It's always been funny to me how I've never heard anyone come down neutral on pronghorn meat; moose, elk, whitetail, yeah, but not pronghorn. People either rant & rave about how great it is or they talk like its on par with aoudad, coyote, and sweat-aged boot leather.

I brought a couple does home from Wyoming (previously pictured) this October & my boys (10 & 13) met me at the door with mouths watering.

I soaked some backstraps in kosher salt water overnight (I do this as a substitute for hanging them since we butchered them within hours of their deaths) and grilled them the following evening. The flavor was outstanding and the meat was so tender you could nearly chew it with your tongue!

I can't really imagine anything better from a flavor standpoint but also an overall experience standpoint. I mean a guy like me who has hardly hunted the west can get tags and go and see lots of animals, enjoy a challenging spot-and-stalk hunt, BE OUT WEST, and have the best chance available at bringing home meat.

IT JUST DOESNT GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Pretty decent "Unicorn" buck I took several years back in Wyoming. Rifle was a .260 Kimber Classic shooting 120gr Nosler BT.

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.