Print Thread
Hop To
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
...who likes case prep. I have a bunch of 223 brass, mostly LC, that I have been working on. Resize, swage primer pockets, uniform primer pockets, deburr inside of flash hole, trim to length, then back into a tumbler for final polish. The stuff that is not LC will get sawed off and made into 300 Blackout and it is looking like there will be around four hundred of those with the same prep plus annealing. Most fun I have had in a while. smile

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You like it because you live in the Rain Belt. Long dark winter does things to your mind.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I won't say I enjoy it terribly, but I embrace it as being a means to the end, consistent accuracy. I agree with Dave, that living in a rain forest, does keep us inside preparing for next spring. I went out to shoot a few days ago, and shot my Hornet. In the time to change to another rifle, the sun went behind the clouds and the wind began. I had to quit as I was very chilled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Boy, howdy! I am obsessed with all the intricacies of case preparation and handling my components as much as possible. I have Mike Dillon help me. I dump all my cases into the automatic case feed and start pulling the handle. Mike does all the rest...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shrapnel; 11/25/15.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's cheating! grin

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cheating, yes.

But

It

Works.

You're not alone, Scott. Many of us get serious about case prep because it gives consistency, which in turns allows dumping batches into hoppers and whaling out gobs of long-distance goodness.

I do my case prep on a drill press....

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

Bingo! I think some guys forget about that big powered case prep tool right there in the shop.

I don't know how much I'd say I enjoy it, but there's definitely a sense of accomplishment (real or imagined) in prepping a bunch of brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like little better than having some cases "ready to go" when I get home from shooting. I might have found some promising loads and I want to get some more loaded up in the event I can go to the range again in the next day or two. I don't always like getting them there, but I do enjoy having them. Reap what you sow.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nope....don't enjoy it. Look at it as a necessary evil.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

Bingo! I think some guys forget about that big powered case prep tool right there in the shop.

I don't know how much I'd say I enjoy it, but there's definitely a sense of accomplishment (real or imagined) in prepping a bunch of brass.

I use a cordless drill for most of it.

I think I am done for today. Brined turkey and have it smoking in the Brinkman. Need about fifteen more degrees according to the remote thermometer. I was swaging primer pockets while waiting and just pinched off a big chunk of my little finger. This one will take more than a week to heal. cry

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's what you get for zoning out on the production line, doofus. Next time you'll do better, mmm?

Been there, done that. For some strange reason, I never hurt myself in the same way twice.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was just hoping that chunk-o-finger wasn't in with the turkey somewhere.... sick

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The chunk-o-finger was from the turkey who was not bright enough not to slam down the swaged case without removing the finger. It has a good throb going today. The turkey may be bright enough to not do it again but I would not take any bets on it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
...who likes case prep. I have a bunch of 223 brass, mostly LC, that I have been working on. Resize, swage primer pockets, uniform primer pockets, deburr inside of flash hole, trim to length, then back into a tumbler for final polish. The stuff that is not LC will get sawed off and made into 300 Blackout and it is looking like there will be around four hundred of those with the same prep plus annealing. Most fun I have had in a while. smile

That's SOP around here.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I used to do all that stuff, then one fine day I was in a hurry to make up ammo for a varmint hunt, so I just took a new lot of Winchester .223 Remington unfired brass and ran it through my progressive loader. Didn't see a bit of difference between the obsessively prepared stuff and the lackadaisically ignored batch as far as accuracy was concerned. Next, I Tried it with some Winchester .204 Ruger brass, with the same result.

Nowadays I only do what needs to be done. For example, I had a batch of Nosler .204 Ruger brass that wouldn't allow primers to be seated below the case head, pockets too tight. Not just tight but too shallow, crooked, distorted and generally off enough to have been manufactured in Schenectady by a color blind former stripper (she told them she had plenty of experience with brass, but left out the part about the pole). That batch required a PPC type primer pocket uniformer (they're slightly tapered), as the regular small primer uniformer would jam up and become stuck. PITA.

If it ain't broke, I don't mess with it.

Now I only do the whole prep ritual to 6mm BR and 6mm PPC brass, just because. Neck turning is outside my lazy zone too, unless it's really necessary, like when a neck resembles a cam lobe.

When it comes to trimming I use only dedicated trimmers with 3-in-1 cutters, Forster or RCBS, or an old Hornady Cam-lock trimmer with an RCBS 3-in-1 trimmer head - yes they fit fine, and inside and outside chamfer while trimming to length - once and done. It's much more fun to be lazy, that way I can take a nap, drink beer, or vegetate watching cartoons in my underware. Life is good.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 11/28/15.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For me it's a means to an end....shooting..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hah, Wrangler, you STILL do it.

But yeah, if it ain't broke, don't break it worse. But consistent case prep of new batches is usually a pretty good long-term investment. During the prep, you find bad things.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having prepared brass is great when the urge to reload strikes me, but don't necessarily enjoy getting there. Necessary evil.

LOL
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yeah I kinda like it also. Rote repetition, and you can zone out while doing so.

Zen and the art of reloading.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, crow, if we zone out, we swage our fingerness. Ask His Scottness.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
370 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.