Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Forgot to mention that when I switched back to a Glock barrel, I also went to a heavier recoil spring and a stainless rod. Glock chambers ARE "loose", and I am told this is by design, so that ammo is not as critical, and should even work when dirty in the field - to build/enforce a rep as military-police capable. My only experience with an after market barrel was the Lone Wolf, and I would NOT do that again. I would expect other brands may be a lot better, but I was advised by Buffalo Bore to stick with Glock barrels in Glocks, as they did when developing their 10mm loads.

I still don't like or really trust Glocks in 10mm, and I much prefer a manual safety in any gun/caliber, but by the time I sold mine I was confident it was a safe and reliable pistol, and it definitely has some very good points such as the magazine capacity and cost compared to other types. The 10mm is a potent cartridge, and I might like to have another - but it will be a 1911 type.

My load for my Glock 20 is 180 grain XTP's over 2400. When I first started shooting this load I had a lot of extraction problems. I went to a 22 pound recoil spring and it cured that. I always sort of figured with the slow powder things started moving when the chamber pressure was still too high for positive extraction. Maybe, maybe not, but it worked. I also replaced the plastic recoil spring guide with a SS one. I load new brass and don't reload it, one shot and done. Also, I never, never shoot someone else's handloads, never.

Mathew 22: 37-39

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm afraid to even look at my Glocks now.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
From what I've read and heard, Glock Kabooms are mainly in 40 S&W caliber guns and many times related to reloads. Am I right? Is the 40 the main culprit when reloaded or are there a lot of Kabooms in other calibers? I've got a Glock 20 in 10mm. Can I reload safely without changing barrels or some such?
Stick with jacketed ammo, and you should be fine. It's the lead stuff that causes problems with the unique Glock rifling. Or, if you want to shoot lead, get a conventionally rifled replacement barrel.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I haven't taken a guage to measure the differences, but i know a glock 21 slide will fit on a glock 20 lower. And a glock 20 slide will fit on the 21lower.
Now keeping in mind psi of a .45acp at 17k maybe a little more on +p rounds, vs. the operating pressure on a 10mm which is a lot more, it is food for thought.
That barrel better be a good one. Which is the reason i went to KKM barrels.

There are no differences between a G20 and G21 frame, they are the same thing.

The comparison to 45 ACP pressure doesn't mean much here; the G20 came first and was designed specifically for the 10mm. The G21 in 45 was an adaption of the G20, not the other way around like most 1911s or others. Regardless, the frame doesn't take any of the pressure from the round.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I haven't taken a guage to measure the differences, but i know a glock 21 slide will fit on a glock 20 lower. And a glock 20 slide will fit on the 21lower.
Now keeping in mind psi of a .45acp at 17k maybe a little more on +p rounds, vs. the operating pressure on a 10mm which is a lot more, it is food for thought.
That barrel better be a good one. Which is the reason i went to KKM barrels.

There are no differences between a G20 and G21 frame, they are the same thing.

The comparison to 45 ACP pressure doesn't mean much here; the G20 came first and was designed specifically for the 10mm. The G21 in 45 was an adaption of the G20, not the other way around like most 1911s or others. Regardless, the frame doesn't take any of the pressure from the round.

I realize and knew what you wrote. My point being is you have a very similar or identical chassis, between both guns. The difference being the pressure and barrels. I believe some are dropping 10mm barrels in the glock 21. But i think a .45is more accepting of a loose chamber than a 10mm is.
one of my reasons for buying a glock 20 in the first place was the understanding they were purpose built for the 10mm, unlike a 1911 or something like that.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/24/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most Glocks are ticking time bombs and if I were you I would sell all the Glocks you currently have .....quickly.

PS Send me a PM and I see if I can assist you in your dumping of your Glocks

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Interesting enough, in lgs today talking to a three gun competitor, among other things.
He also blew up a glock 23 with a squibb load. Split a kkm barrel. put another one back in gun is still working.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
10mms and .40s tend to be the main culprits.

I do not know the #s, but there are many times more 9mm Glocks than anything else, and they are seen worldwide

Example: The 2 Millionth Glock was at the 1999 SHOT show.

Due to sheer numbers I would expect to see a few 9mm guns come apart. Though I believe the %s are far, far less than .40s and 10mms, as in fractions of a single percent.

With all that said, GOOGLE 1911 KABOOM and you will have plenty to look at and read about, much like the Glock.

I recall in the mid to late 1990s, "Super Face" was an issue with guys running .38 supers in 1911s.

I think that those bugs got worked out though, as you rarely even hear the term these days.

Glock Kabooms are certainly a real thing, but I have seen exceptional amounts of rounds through G19s and serviced the same guns. Never once did I see one of the 9mm issued guns have a catastrophic failure.

The odds of having a catastrophic failure are phenomenally low, especially in a 9mm. With that said, in my G35 USPSA limited gun, I run a KKM barrel since I shoot lead.

I never had an issue running lead in a stock .45 barrel. For one thing .45 is a low pressure round, and the .45 barrels are hexagonal, not polygonal, though I cannot tell you how that makes a difference.

I will continue to shoot Glocks with no fear of catastrophic failure.

So far so good.....

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on what Mackay said

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I never had an issue running lead in a stock .45 barrel. For one thing .45 is a low pressure round, and the .45 barrels are hexagonal, not polygonal, though I cannot tell you how that makes a difference.

The significant difference is pressure; higher pressure of the 9mm and 40 needs a harder lead bullet than the 45. I think a lot of the "lead bullet issues" in Glocks are from people running soft swaged lead in 9s and 40s, those are too soft for anything above light plinking loads.

Any factory Glock barrel will shoot lead with no issues though, if the bullets are the correct size and hardness. I usually get better results from factory Glock barrels than aftermarket, because of the better finish in the Glock bores.

IIRC, I think the 9 and 40 barrels are hexagonal, and the 45 barrels are octagonal. Both are polygonal, "poly-" meaning "many". Although none of the Glock barrels are truly polygonal, they are round bores with flat lands. Some HK bores were true polygonal, like the P7, with all flats and no round surfaces.

None of that really matters for lead bullets though, if they fit right and are hard enough for the pressure.

Last edited by Yondering; 11/25/15.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to live on the wild side. Ordered a G 17 and will be shooting lead through it. The caveat is hard cast and powder coated. Also will be cleaning after each range session.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I'm going to live on the wild side. Ordered a G 17 and will be shooting lead through it. The caveat is hard cast and powder coated. Also will be cleaning after each range session.

I can buy copper FMJs for $108 per 1,000 (9mm). For me, why shoot lead?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even if I have to pay for lead, for $108 will cover bullets, primers and powder for 2000 rounds.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Lead is nicer on steel too.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You must cast your own. $108 is for 1000 124 gr. FMJ or JHP bullets. I have not found a place where I can better that price on 1000 lead bullets for 9mm.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, been casting for decades. With a Lee 6 cavity mold you can cast around 1000 an hour.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've got thousands of Missouri Bullet Company bullets in my basement right now. I generally buy them directly from the guy who casts them. I've recommended them on here many times. They are a top-notch outfit.

I used to cast my own bullets, and am still set up to do so. MBC is so good and inexpensive, that I can see little reason to do so anymore unless it's something for a Sharps that they don't cast.

The guy's business has really expanded since I started going there. He has an amazing setup, not far from Kansas City, yet out in the boonies.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
FWIW, I've owned several 10's over the years, including a Glock 20 back when they first came out. Then I didn't have a 10 for many years. When I got this one, I promptly started shooting twenty-year-old reloads in it, along with sundry assorted old ammo. It has never bobbled. Never failed to fire. I can't say that about many guns. It's in my gun box right now along with about 60 rounds in mags.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$88 per thousand for FMJ or $89 per thousand for JHP 124 grain at Precision Delta with free shipping if you buy 2000. I get the 115 grain FMJ for $83 per thousand.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.