Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We have a desktop computer, and need a 2nd unit.

whats the current trend and why?

There seems to be multiple choices in laptops, notebooks, Surface books, etc etc......

principal use would be a secondary unit for some browsing, paying bills online, and so forth.

What are the primary differences in laptops and tablets?

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Do you want a 'bigger smart phone' with apps or a computer?

If you want apps, get a tablet, if you want a computer get a laptop.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For pure point and click browsing, I like my iPad Air.

For something you have to enter data ( paying bill, ordering and enter payment , etc) then I use my laptop.

Look for $150-200 laptops during Black Friday that some be more than plenty for everyday browsing.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Saw an ad for a Dell I7 laptop the other day for $599, now's the time to get a good deal if your looking for one.

Phil

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
"bigger smart phone", sounds like we're heading in the wrong direction, Can't think of any apps that might be useful, unless I'm missing something here.......

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth
We have a desktop computer, and need a 2nd unit.

whats the current trend and why?

There seems to be multiple choices in laptops, notebooks, Surface books, etc etc......

principal use would be a secondary unit for some browsing, paying bills online, and so forth.

What are the primary differences in laptops and tablets?

I bought a Dell 11" touchscreen laptop and got the best of both worlds. Very thin and light and 1/6th the cost of Apple Air

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 11/25/15.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
"bigger smart phone", sounds like we're heading in the wrong direction, Can't think of any apps that might be useful, unless I'm missing something here.......

Exactly, forget the tablet and get a laptop.

A tablet is like dicking around with your smart phone on a bigger screen.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd have to look up an 'ipad air' just to know what the hell it is.

Notebook or tablet? or are those the same?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My tablet experience is with the iPad, and it's not a cpmplete substitute for a real computer. Not even just considering internet access. There are some things you just need a computer for. Then again, there are many functions for which the tablet is preferred. So having one computer and one tablet makes sense.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Touchscreen? I really need to get out more often.....

IC B3

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
When would you prefer a tablet?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Over an Iphone or playing Angry Birds on it while dropping a deuce.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I like the touch screen interface better than the mouse, for example. It has its limits vs the mouse and physical keyboard,, but once you get thumb typing down, it works pretty good.

At this moment, for example, I'm on the iPad, while my MacBook is sitting a few feet away. That's typical.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Laptop it is, now lets talk realistic prices I can expect to pay, and features I need,or don't need.

Size, and where to buy..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Laptop it is, now lets talk realistic prices I can expect to pay, and features I need,or don't need.

Size, and where to buy..

I like a 14" for portabilty. But I dont watch movies on mine.

buy from an out of state retailer.

Fry's, tigerdirect, newegg, etc to avoid sales tax.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got tablets for the wife and i about a year ago. Havent touched mine in 6 months. The kids love them for games and youtube. I dunno i prefer my desktop to do everything. When i was gone a lot i had a laptop but havent touched that either in a long time.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wife just mentioned she would like a tablet for Xmas, looks like tablets are back in the mix.

I can actually see her liking the touch screen features of a tablet, but the boys would benefit more from a laptop with regards to homework...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Chromebook..Part computer and part tablet..

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Size, and where to buy..

I picked up a "refurbished" HP from wallyworld (on line)a couple months ago for $250...1 yr. factory warranty lots of bells & whistles for the price...I'm very happy.

ETA: Windows 7 with free upgrade to Win 10

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 11/25/15.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like an upright screen and a separate keyboard and mouse. If I'm not mistaken, most of the better tablets can be attached to a keyboard and used like a laptop.

I bought an el cheapo toshiba laptop some years back and it has done everything I ever wanted it to. Just saw it's equivalent this week in an ad for $100 less than I paid 6-7 years ago.
The 15.6" screen is a good blend of portability and user friendliness.

Apps can be quite useful. I have apps for all of the financial/investment firms that I have accounts with. Apps for making quick notes, for setting reminders for appointments, birthdays, bills, and etc...
I even have an app that when opened shows all the theatres in order of their proximity to my location, and lists movies and showtimes.

Likely my most used app is a simple timer/stopwatch feature. When I'm busy I use it to parse out blocks of time for activities. If I have yardwork to do but need to leave for a meeting in 25 minutes, it takes about 10 seconds to set the timer and go about the yard work. Timer goes off and i know it's time to leave for the meeting.

Most things I can do with an app can also be done on full internet sites, but the apps are simple, secure, and quick. I find myself sitting in front of the computer and pulling my fone out to check financial accounts due to their quick access. I also believe them to be more secure than most net connected computers that are used by other family members for gaming and facebook.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,020 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,728
Posts18,457,378
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.