Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 8mmRem
I had a friend drop a Kodiak brownie with one shot from the hip at 10 yrds with an 8mmMag, luck yes but he was impressed once he cleaned himself up.

I rolled a charging Kodiak brownie at less than ten yards with a 300Wby...a good bit less. I was impressed that I didn't die. smile

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The lack of readily available ammo for the 8mm Magnum has kept it far behind the 7mm Magnum. I don't remember ever seen an 8mm Magnum at the shooting range around Fairbanks, nor while hunting.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yep, thats a big consideration unless you reload.

It really was a good round.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Akbob5
I had a friend drop a Kodiak brownie with one shot from the hip at 10 yrds with an 8mmMag, luck yes but he was impressed once he cleaned himself up.

I rolled a charging Kodiak brownie at less than ten yards with a 300Wby...a good bit less. I was impressed that I didn't die. smile

That must have been interesting! smile

A friend has hunted Africa and Alaska,and for elk in the west with a pair of 8mm Mags. I got to watch it work on elk several times. My impression was that it didn't do anything a 300 Weatherby wouldn't do as well.He agreed but he liked the rifles.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
bigger diameter bullet is alwyas going to do things a tiny bit better if not more.

At least IMHO.

They may not be on the bang flop list but they sure bang on through always with a hair more authority from what I"ve seen.

We all have our ideas on what is best.

I know I'll never run another 180 partition in 300 wtby again, John sorted me out on that. At least 200. But probably stuck on 180 Barnes instead in that round, or 200...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

bestest pard, straight shooter, and a dog that can hunt shot a charging brown bear at point blank range with his .375 H&H, at the exact same time he shot, so did the guy he was guiding shoot with his 300 win mag (IIRC), pard was down on his knees and they were putting the stalk on this bear guarding a moose kill that he'd run a lesser bear off from, that bear had run the wolves off that had killed the moose.

said if he'd raised the muzzle higher it would've slapped the bear in the chin with the barrel.

in his view the only reason they didn't get rolled by the bear was the fact as the bear came crashing through the brush at them, the bears eyes went wide with surprise that it was humans and not another bear and he slowed.

they didn't recover that bear, he ran off and they lost the blood trail. and he said it was a very nice bear.

am thinking that incident played a huge role in him buying a .458 and having it tweaked to a .458 Lott

glad to hear your 300 wby. got er done Bob, but tis always interesting to me how our choices are shaped by our life's experiences.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
bigger diameter bullet is alwyas going to do things a tiny bit better if not more.

At least IMHO.

Jeff I agree. But I have sometimes struggled trying to figure where the lines are.. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
7 Mag and .30-06 are ballistic twins with the right bullets. I have them both and wouldn't feel out of place with either except for the bigger bears. I've been itching to use my 7 Mag on a nice black bear. The biggest difference is basically the amount of recoil that you can stand.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot two deer this year with a 7 mag a friend left to me a few years back he had built when he was stationed in AK back in the 60ts , loaded some 175 gr noslers they hit the ground hard .

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by rost495

At least IMHO.

Jeff I agree. But I have sometimes struggled trying to figure where the lines are.. wink
Lines are fuzzy to the extent you can't see them, UNLESS it gets chitty...
Bigger does better in a lot of things, bigger holes, better penetration(given the right bullet) and more energy.
Probably 99% of the time its never needed.

We could go the other way though too.. I"ve not shot anything much I can recall at this point in life, that a 243 would not have done just fine on. WEll there were a few LONG shots, but in reality, not large stuff, biggest was a caribou.. 243 would have been fine on them too..

Only moose I"ve shot have been close enough and right angles a 243 would have done them in too....

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Ray
The lack of readily available ammo for the 8mm Magnum has kept it far behind the 7mm Magnum. I don't remember ever seen an 8mm Magnum at the shooting range around Fairbanks, nor while hunting.

I know a shop that has a bunch of factory Remington. 8mm mag ammo if anyone is interested

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Better late than never on this thread. Or maybe not...

These guys above have it all wrong. Having used the '06, .300 Mag and 7Mag here in Alaska, let me put it this way:

The '06 will do anything the 7 will and the 300 will do it better.

I'm positive a 175 grain in a 7 Mag will kick more and and probably just bounce off, whereas the 180 in '06 and 300 Mag will kick less, has good penetration, and kills better.

In the interests of full disclosure, I just have never been able to get all warm and fuzzy over the 7 Mag. Could have been that POS stock on my first one....ah, naw...! (Roll your eyes back, it would.)

Although there was this one Husquavarna that the SOB wouldn't sell me. I'd done some work for him on it and consequently had to "test fire" it before he got it back. About 50 rounds worth, tho the first 3 rounds were sufficient for function. smile That thing was sweet in every respect.

Bullets probably would have just bounced off a moose tho.....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH

That must have been interesting! smile

A friend has hunted Africa and Alaska,and for elk in the west with a pair of 8mm Mags. I got to watch it work on elk several times. My impression was that it didn't do anything a 300 Weatherby wouldn't do as well.He agreed but he liked the rifles.

Bob, it was plenty interesting! We were on a small hill and I think that helped immensely as I knocked her (8' sow) down, but she was right back up, but instead of running back up the hill towards us, she headed down the hill. At that point I was determined to finish her and hit her a second time and she rolled down into some alders and expired. Had she been determined to keep coming, it would have gotten a good bit uglier.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

bestest pard, straight shooter, and a dog that can hunt shot a charging brown bear at point blank range with his .375 H&H, at the exact same time he shot, so did the guy he was guiding shoot with his 300 win mag (IIRC), pard was down on his knees and they were putting the stalk on this bear guarding a moose kill that he'd run a lesser bear off from, that bear had run the wolves off that had killed the moose.

said if he'd raised the muzzle higher it would've slapped the bear in the chin with the barrel.

in his view the only reason they didn't get rolled by the bear was the fact as the bear came crashing through the brush at them, the bears eyes went wide with surprise that it was humans and not another bear and he slowed.

they didn't recover that bear, he ran off and they lost the blood trail. and he said it was a very nice bear.

am thinking that incident played a huge role in him buying a .458 and having it tweaked to a .458 Lott

glad to hear your 300 wby. got er done Bob, but tis always interesting to me how our choices are shaped by our life's experiences.

2L,

Mine was not quite that close, but prob still less than 5 yards. As I said in my response to Bob, we were on a small hill. She stood up at the bottom of the hill and I tried to yell and run her off. She had two large (2 or 3 year old) Cubs that I was pretty worried about too....anyway, she just dropped and charged when I yelled because of the cresting of the hill all I could see was the grass parting until she was almost on top of us,

We were goat/deer hunting. If I had been brown bear hunting, I would have been carrying my .375. Choices matter. White lives matter ( mostly my white azz). Bear's lives, not so much. smile

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
There isn't enough difference between the two except price of factory loads. If ya dont reload the mad has more power. If ya reload there is so little difference . The 06 has brass all over, can pick it up at gravel pits. It uses less powder too.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've got the ballistic twin of the 7 RM, which is the 7MM WSM. If one does not need to invest heavily in the ability to shoot well, and kill well, at longer ranges, it's a waste of good powder and magazine space. But if one does ... the 180 grain slick bullets in a 7 MM deliver optimum performance per unit of recoil. To beat it most have to run a muzzle break. I think for shooting less than 1/4 mile the '06 is more versatile. And kicks less.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After that big azz unseen sweeper dips your raft in the creek ...along with your 7mm rounds, u will have your work cut out for u ...trying to bum a few rounds...just saying...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the law allows you to shoot game with a 223, and the 223 bullets are now very good, why would you have a 7 Mag?

Most of the guys I hunted with in AK used the 30-06, 308 and 223, in that order.

Couple of the guys used 300 WM and 338 WM, but "downsized"" as they got older and got the same or better results with less recoil.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I know several guys who still use the .338 in Alaska. The big 7 would be one of my top picks..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you choose your bullets well there is nothing in Alaska, save for the larger marine mammals, that the 7mm Remington Mag will not readily dispatch. That doesn't mean it's ideal for all things, but it certainly will work if the user holds up his end. And the 7mm Remington Mag is plenty common, not as common as some other similarly suitable calibers like the 308, 270, 30-06, or 300 Win Mag, but plenty available if one gets in a bind.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,848 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.