Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dooger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I'm thinking about getting crazy with a 700 ADL 223 package gun I have. I have a McM stock, Timney, etc. I want to coat it with Graphite Black, but the action needs Microslick. How well do those two match?

Any other thoughts or options?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went sniper grey and micro slick. I should pick it up on Monday and I'll let you know

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have Graphite Black and Microslick on my Kimber Montana.

Looks great.

Cheers, Chris

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
After so many praised it, I asked Eddie F about MicroSlick for my bolt and he assured me that it is not what I need. He didn't expound though I asked some rather pointed questions. I thought his response to be curt.

Can someone educate me on its actual intended purpose?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
D
Dooger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Hmmm. I was going to ask Eddie if he'd do it for me. Maybe he suggests some other action work???

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dooger
Hmmm. I was going to ask Eddie if he'd do it for me. Maybe he suggests some other action work???

He didn't explain or suggest anything. Equally rude had he not even responded.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Dooger,

Micro slick isn't needed on the remington's IMHO because there is plenty of clearance for smooth function after coating. Plus, micro slick only provides 50% of the corrosion and wear protection that "H" series cerakote provides. These are direct facts from NIC that they gave to me.

Micro Slick does go on thinner at about half the thickness of "H" series. I have used it in the past and was never that impressed with it. Most folks are wanting cerakote for the protection it provides against chemicals and the elements. Why give up 50% of the main quality if not needed. Color of micro slick is a good match with sniper gray and it lays very nice like any other color.

Hopefully this answers some of your pointed questions reloader28. If i was "curt" as you stated, I apologize because I sure don't remember our conversation and I tend to get talking quite fast sometimes and too much most of the times.

Above is what I have told countless guys that have asked me about micro slick. Again, IMHO. If you still want it, by all means I can apply it. I just try to give my honest opinion when asked.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
D
Dooger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks Eddie. I'll call you soon. Need to get some things together.

P.S. I'm the one that sent you a 17 Rem recently.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That's a honest answer. Why use it if not needed and give up what you really started out to achieve in the first place by coating it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I don't do mircoslick in my shop

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Microslick doesn't match Graphite black at all. Microslick is gray and the other is very black. Why does a 700 action need Microslick? Plenty of room for Cerakote. I do every surface inside and out except for the chamber and bore. It takes up about half the slack in the bolt making it run like it's got bushings.

Microslick is a dry film lube and once burnished adds near nothing to a parts dimensions. It goes on .25 mils thick. It is not really meant to be a decorative or corrosion deterrent. It works great on real close tolerance applications. I use it on the tightest 1911 slide rails and on the inside of the tightest Bat target bolt actions. On Glock and S&W internals it's like a trigger job in a can. It also helps get Mossberg 930 shotguns running better. I would never use it for the external parts as a protective finish.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Class dismissed

Double_D
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by eddief

Hopefully this answers some of your pointed questions reloader28. If i was "curt" as you stated, I apologize because I sure don't remember our conversation and I tend to get talking quite fast sometimes and too much most of the times.

Above is what I have told countless guys that have asked me about micro slick. Again, IMHO. If you still want it, by all means I can apply it. I just try to give my honest opinion when asked.

Tip of the hat to you Eddie. I had planned to revisit the issue with you at a future date considering your reputation here. The input you & Hired Gun stated here was the facts I was looking for in order to make a reasonable decision. Now I can.

I will contact you via p.m. to discuss options.

Thank you!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
426 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,917
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.