-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a bunch of CB's (longs and shorts) several years ago and the shorts are clearly louder in the same firearm. Since most of the above disagree with me, then I must have a 'lot' of shorts with extra primer crazy

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Nah, my CB shorts are also louder. Out of the same firearms, and by more than a smidge

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd have to trust someone to tell me...I can't hear the difference.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CB longs are what I prefer for neighborhood squirrel control..quite. about 525 fps out of my CZ

D
D
I have been shooting the CCI "Quite-22" for a few years out of a CZ 452 Lux. With the long barrel, the neighbors can't here it standing in the yard. The repeatable accuracy is excellent. Zeroed at 40 yards for the local squirrel population. 1/4 to 3/8 inch group with a 4-14 Burris rimfire. Head shots out of the kitchen window are routine. You must know the trajectory well. At 710 fps, they drop quick.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CCI CB short has 0.5 gr of powder, the max that can be silenced with 24" of 22 rifle barrel.

The CB short is BB gun quiet if it hit something soft, like a raccoon's head.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The CB short is noisy if it hits something hard, like plywood.

The CB short is faster than the CB long for the same amount of powder and noise. That is because of the higher pressure and expansion ratio.

The CB short is noisier if it hits something hard, because the bullet is faster.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two other points in favor of the Quiet 22s is that they're available pretty often and they feed just like a long rifle in a manual repeater and won't leave a crud ring in the chamber like a short.

Okay, three things.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve killed so much with super colibri, out to about 30 yards, I don't know why you'd look further. But you didn't want even colibri.

Subs and a can are the way to go.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats if CCI ever makes 0074 ever again...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 1976 took EE360 Acoustics from professor Rubens Sigelman, at that time a pioneer in ultrasound.
I have worked for a couple ultrasound companies.
In 1996 I was into Remington CB Longs.
I asked on the early internet, "Why is the CB Long so quiet in a 24" barrel and so loud in a 22" barrel?"
The late gunsmith Randy Ketchum said to me, "The difference is the pressure threshold of supersonic gas escapement from behind the bullet."
I knew he was right.
I now know that a CB short can make more velocity with the same noise as a CB Long, because of the increased peak pressure and expansion ratio.
But the CB short has a longer jump to the lands and was getting poor accuracy.
Then ~ 2 years ago CCI started making 22 CB shorts that are accurate. The packaging looks the same.

[Linked Image]

With coons I like to go for the brain shot with CB shorts and 24" barrels.
But if they are way up in a tall tree, it takes 5 good body hits to bring them down.
My brother kills skunks and coons with CB shorts from a revolver. It has some super sonic gas, but he says he does not need ear plugs.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I just got a couple boxes of quiet 22 from cci, and compared it to normal high velocity rounds.... it certainly was no more than 1/3rd of the "bang" of the high velocity.

Funny thing was, I then shot a few rounds at a 100 yard target, to see what would happen...
It was hilarious...

Took about a full second to travel the hundred yards and landed about 3 feet lower than a high velocity round.

I guess this stuff will work well, but will require some additional Kentucky windage skills I don't currently possess.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Probably because sound is subjective without some sort of audio measuring device. Travis

What....?, can you speak a little louder? You don't have to yell! laugh

My only experience with SS is CCI Quiet 40gr. It shot very well at 25 yards from my Kimber Huntsman. Shot dead center 5 shots almost one hole about 1.25" lower than Win PP 40 (old) one hole 5 shot group. Bought 2 boxes to try out but haven't seen any since.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by deflave
Probably because sound is subjective without some sort of audio measuring device. Travis

What....?, can you speak a little louder? You don't have to yell! laugh

My only experience with SS is CCI Quiet 40gr. It shot very well at 25 yards from my Kimber Huntsman. Shot dead center 5 shots almost one hole about 1.25" lower than Win PP 40 (old) one hole 5 shot group. Bought 2 boxes to try out but haven't seen any since.

Travis has obviously not tried CB shorts from a 24" or longer barrel.
The difference between that an CCI Quiet is ~ 50 DB.

When I worked audio for Boeing in 1977, my boss subscribed to DB Magazine. I know what DB means.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.