Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Any opinions on the Remington Express shotguns. They sure are'nt the old Wingmaster, but looking for a cheap turkey gun for my son. Thank you

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Besides for the cheap ass plastic trigger guard, they are still hard to beat for a "cheap" shotgun.
I'd take an 870 any old day over a Mossberg 500. My second choice would be the Winchester SXP.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The finish sucks but for a hunting gun I think there a great way to go. Hone up the innards and they smooth right out.

If you get one take it totally down and give it a soapy bath, the rough finish holds salts and they have a nasty habit of rusting all the time unless you rid the gun of the salt.

IIRC Cabelas is selling them for 239 on black friday

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought mine 25+ years ago. I changed out the birch (?) stock for an after market camo one. No complaints here and it has been a killing machine. Got a 20 gauge for my daughter a couple of years ago. No problems there either.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by passport
........ the rough finish holds salts and they have a nasty habit of rusting all the time unless you rid the gun of the salt.

Corrosion X is your friend

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
I bought mine 25+ years ago. I changed out the birch (?) stock for an after market camo one. No complaints here and it has been a killing machine. Got a 20 gauge for my daughter a couple of years ago. No problems there either.

Your 25 year old one has a lot fewer plastic parts than a new production one does. I had a youth model in 1993 and a 12 guage from 1997. I always knew they weren't top of the line, but the older ones were lots better than the new production ones. Was at a company event held at the skeet range, a guy brought a new one. All the edges were super sharp around the trigger guard, lots more plastic componentry. Will it work fine? Probably so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would ten times rather have a well used Wingmaster than a new Express.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mine works sometimes.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still a great design and lots of barrels out there you can pick up cheap; slug barrels, cantilevered, etc. Best thing you can do is shoot it and I mean take it out to the trap or skeet range and run lots of rounds through it. That will smooth things up and/or identify any glitches.

I have an all-purpose Express that has well north of 1000 rounds through it including clay targets and European pheasant shootouts. In addition I polished the chamber, upgraded the extractor to a real steel one, and put a better magazine cartridge follower in it. Never had any function issues whatsoever.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For a cheap turkey gun, you cant do better. Thats what mine is used for. Get a 26" barrel in-lieu of the shorty's commonly seen on turkey guns. They generally pattern better and the muzzle blast will be considerably less; balance is good enough for mixed game, cottontails, etc. The 28" barrels are good for the duck blind only IMO.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I bought one in the mid 80's when I used to do a lot of rabbit and squirrel hunting. I love it. I've never had a problem with it and have shoten thousands of rounds trap shooting. In the late 90's I got a 20 gauge youth model for my kids and still have it. It's perfect for my daughter who is now 28. I would take it over any Mossberg rattle trap.

You do have to keep it clean and well oiled though. A buddy of mine bought one the same time I did and didn't take care of it and now it's a ball of rust. Mine is spotless.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Liberal baths of aerosol Rem-oil do help the "matte" finish from rusting.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Actually Krylon is your friend, cheap camo and actually will smooth up the action a little.

NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I got one of the first or second year production guns. It's been a good one for me. I soaked it good with Eezox and it's my rainy day gun.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I got one of the first or second year production guns. It's been a good one for me. I soaked it good with Eezox and it's my rainy day gun.

I bought my oldest son one back in the 90's, it's still rust free thanks to Eezox.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have an 870 20 gauge circa 2000 and have never had a problem with it, mechanically or cosmetically. It is my brush gun so it's seen some abuse and there is some pretty significant wear on the stock. I'm pretty good about keeping my guns clean, but not as anal as some. I think you'd be further ahead buying an older Wingmaster or even an older Express over a new one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC

Yep.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by DaddyRat

Your 25 year old one has a lot fewer plastic parts than a new production one does. I had a youth model in 1993 and a 12 guage from 1997. I always knew they weren't top of the line, but the older ones were lots better than the new production ones. Was at a company event held at the skeet range, a guy brought a new one. All the edges were super sharp around the trigger guard, lots more plastic componentry. Will it work fine? Probably so.

The lefty express I used to have, had no plastic parts on it. Except for the camo synthetic stock I put on it. I loved the shotgun, but also had a left hand wingmaster and didn't need the express model anymore. I'll never get rid of the wingmaster...Sorry to hear the new express 870's have that much plastic parts on them. Seems they don't make things to last like they used too. A damn shame...

I'd suggest finding an older wingmaster or an older express and it will probably last a lifetime if you take care of it. It will make a very good shotgun for your son, which ever one you choose:

Express:
[Linked Image]

Wingmaster:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
I
I
My stepdad had an old wingmaster - great gun but I recently picked up an 870 magnum express from a pawn shop for just under 200.00 out the door... The breech bolt looked brand new and took it out this last weekend and it cycled 3" shells like a champ.
(its an older model)
Had one little spec of rust on backside of receiver and a few stock blemishes (wood).... well worth the money spent in my opinion.

Last edited by IdahoCajun; 12/17/15.

Friends are far and few between as well as a really good hunt...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MOGC

+1

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,133
Posts18,464,687
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.