Print Thread
Hop To
K
K9_75 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Well, I might have exaggerated a bit but I'm really thinking of cutting a piece out of my KS stock and then putting it back again...

I like my seven KS a lot - especially the stock! But there is a slight problem with the way it fits me (or not fits me...). The cheek piece is way to thick up at the comb so I'm thinking of cutting it open, remove some of the filling behind and then putting it back. This would of course mean I would have to refinish the whole stock but that might be a fun project...

But I'm wondering - would this endanger the structural integrity of the stock?

Thoughts?

Cheers
K9_75

-----------------------------
"one does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."

Jose Ortega y Gasset. "Meditations on Hunting".
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a wonderful way to mess up a great stock

Life is just one damned thing after another
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Oh my Gawd!!! Don't do it! Sell the stock and buy something that works for you.

Buy once, cry once.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
K9,No offense intended at all but that is a terrible way to go about fixing the problem. If you are intent on butchering the KS, just shave it down to what you want on the outside and gel coat the area and repaint. Still FAR from optimum but with what you're describing, you're going to end up with the dimensions the same but with a squishy, non-reinforced cheekpiece.

John

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If the KS is too thick for you on the comb, then you need a different pattern. The KS is just right on an awful lot of people.

For a bit thinner comb, go with the McMillan Compact inletted for a Seven. It is just what you are looking for, as it has a very similar feel to the KS (slim rounded forend, quite open grip, straight high comb) but with no cheekpiece so not quite so thick on top.

Sell the KS. Give me first crack at it!

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Only thing better than a KS stock is the FS stock. Leave it alone and sell the stock. If it is in 708, sell the whole rifle to me.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by john843
K9,No offense intended at all but that is a terrible way to go about fixing the problem. If you are intent on butchering the KS, just shave it down to what you want on the outside and gel coat the area and repaint. Still FAR from optimum but with what you're describing, you're going to end up with the dimensions the same but with a squishy, non-reinforced cheekpiece.

John

Do this, then, if you think it needs it, patch with fiberglass resin a hunk of fiberglass cloth, and then (gel coat and/or texture) then paint it. If one can fiberglass a boat hull and have it stay together so can a rifle stock. Many folks have never filed anything but taxes... laugh

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I converted 3 RH Borden/ Pacific Research stocks to LH . Left the RH cheek piece on as Borden said it would compromise stock if I removed the cheek piece.

Last edited by kk alaska; 11/19/15.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by john843

John

Do this, then, if you think it needs it, patch with fiberglass resin a hunk of fiberglass cloth, and then (gel coat and/or texture) then paint it. If one can fiberglass a boat hull and have it stay together so can a rifle stock. Many folks have never filed anything but taxes... laugh

Pretty big waste of time and money there.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
DD, What would you suggest? He wants to slim the cheekpiece at the comb...

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For a bit thinner comb, go with the McMillan Compact inletted for a Seven. It is just what you are looking for, as it has a very similar feel to the KS (slim rounded forend, quite open grip, straight high comb) but with no cheekpiece so not quite so thick on top.

As I suggested above, this is the correct solution.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cool wink a $562 $537 + shipping to Sweden solution VS a mod for maybe $20, and a bit of work. Or really splurge and get a hunk of Kevlar cloth. As they say, different strokes. Performing mods on composite materials ain't rocketsurgery nor is a rifle stock comb more subjected to extremes not readily handled.

--- Kid Rock 2022

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think that doing what you suggest would be the equivelent of:

Shoving a milkbone dog bisket down your throat...and a hungry dog up your butt. eek

Just kidding. Don't mess with the stock. I'd op for buying another stock that fit you better. An unmolested KS stock has value.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Cool wink a $562 $537 + shipping to Sweden solution VS a mod for maybe $20, and a bit of work. Or really splurge and get a hunk of Kevlar cloth. As they say, different strokes. Performing mods on composite materials ain't rocketsurgery nor is a rifle stock comb more subjected to extremes not readily handled.

It is only $20 and a bit of work IF it works.

If it does not work, it is $20 and a bit of work plus $537 + shipping to Sweden...and the loss of value of a KS stock...another $375.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by K9_75
The cheek piece is way to thick up at the comb...

Exactly why I despise cheek pieces. I think they are utterly worthless.

Last edited by Reloder28; 11/25/15.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Do it Do it.. and take pictures.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Calvin
Do it Do it.. and take pictures.

Dog bone insertion or cheekpiece mod? grin

File down, patch with fiberglass, paint... Cheekpiece/comb endures what stress? Thinking bow limbs, diving boards etc, certainly the stuff can hold up to the enormous cheek force.

Unless (maybe) you're this guy...
[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First of all, the KS stands for Kevlar; the FS stands for fiberglass. Those are different animals. The Kevlar in that stock may just be an absolute "joy" mad to work with. Certainly the glass would be a much easier fix. I would not use ordinary "fiberglass" resin (polyester) on that stock. Epoxy would be the right way to go IMO. But toying with a Kevlar stock would be more of a gamble than messing with fiberglass. I think I'd follow the suggestion given of making a quality stock swap.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yah, filing Kevlar could be a snag... Might have to take the Harbor Freight angle grinder to it LOL. Curious too, from the OP, about how much he needs gone, .25cm, .5cm? Seems [bleep] silly (kinda Richie Rich actually) to throw several hundred at such a simple deal. You're killing me Klik, up to $90 now for a proper Kevlar repair kit. cry

One can study up on the topic of composites ad nauseam. To me, all lonely in the minority, it's a simple patch job, it'll all stick together plenty well enough for such. More and more the simpler it seems - just slop some 3M 5-Minute chit on there, or splurge for some Devcon, that's surely tough enough for all ya'lls cheeks, and then hit the hills.
http://www.fibreglast.com/category/Learning_Center

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 11/25/15. Reason: WTB 700 KS

--- Kid Rock 2022

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,813 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.