Print Thread
Hop To
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I read the American hunter article about a Wis. bow hunter that was attacked by 3 wolves. Luckily he had his .380 on him and he put one into the closest wolf that tried to grab his leg. I know it is rare but seems to be happening more often with bears and wolves. It also happened in the same area a few weeks after this incident when a son and his dad were surrounded by a few wolves. The father shot into the air twice before they ran off. ( Cold day in hell I would just shoot into the air.) Now I look at my trail cam and find a bear on my cam 15 min. after I leave the stand. It licked my trail cam , and then appeared to walk off a bit. Then comes back and starts knocking my cam around. I have baited bear for years and this never happened to a cam of mine. The only thing I can think of is I had some Tink's I spilled on my glove a bit. [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As a rule, you don't need to worry about anything in the woods on four legs.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can't begin to guess how many 'humps' I made in the wilds of Alaska without a gun.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
As a rule, you don't need to worry about anything in the woods on four legs.

There are exceptions to every rule.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
I can't begin to guess how many 'humps' I made in the wilds of Alaska without a gun.

Well, some people stink! grin grin

IMO - if you have bear and wolves - WHY NOT carry?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i've had bears tear up lots of trailcams. only bear feeder i have that they haven't torn up is a gravity feed feeder made from a steel air compressor tank.i had it in my yard for a while on a 10ft chain . bears would hug it and try to pull it down . i'm getting leery of the big packs of coyotes we're seeing around home.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hook'm

I don't much worry about WI bears but twice I came face-to-face with a woof about 1.5 mi northwest of your land shocked . The first time I had a ML with me, the second time I had both ML and a 44mag.

No threat from the woof either time but I'm glad I had something along to eliminate the treat, if needed. No reason not to!

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I ALWAYS carry a handgun when Bowhunting. Usually my Glock 32 in .357 Sig Caliber here in TX. And my Glock 20 in 10mm when I'm Bowhunting where bears are known to be in the area I'm hunting.
But my main reason for packing a handgun during bow season is for any possible 2 legged varmints I might encounter.
It's not uncommon to run across wetbacks, here in a lot of areas in TX.

I will add that you need to check your State Laws concerning carrying a handgun when it's Bow Season Only. It's not legal in all 50 states. But It is legal here in TX, though, if you have a CHL. Your State may be different.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I carry a 45 Colt when walking my dog outside of hunting seasons. I feel that my lab would attract an attack more than me, but if it came down to watching my dog being attacked or shooting my dog comes first.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I carry all the time, when out walking or hunting in the woods, getting to be Mef labs in the woods, and alot of bears, there not afraid of people, very little hunting for them here. 45 acp or 45 long colt!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, it is time to carry a gun!

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You don't carry a gun everyday?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I refuse to be the first guy eaten by a cougar in MI. I also refuse to be a victim in the local Walmart parking lot.

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Petro
You don't carry a gun everyday?

No, I do carry a lot in the woods though. Mostly in case of rabbid porcupine and red squirrels. Never thought much of bears but this is unusual. In mid November they slow down a lot. . And I never had one mess with a trail cam. I walked by where he was , and hunt just 50' away. It was my last hunt there cause I felt I was stinking up the stand too much, and to have a bear not be bothered? Kinda strange. I have yet to see a wolf though.

Last edited by ihookem; 11/25/15.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I don't feel right without a gun. Always have one on or next to me. In the woods is no different. I don't live where there are bears or wolves, so the 4 legged predators don't scare me, it's the two legged ones. Especially in rural OKC with the meth presence.

I do have an issue with wild dogs on my place. They are the main reason I carry. Ow as they are very aggressive.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ferrell dogs are a scourge. Ferrell people are worse. No point being a victim if you can prevent it.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
378 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.