Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I saw his face on Fox this morning with "Fox News Contributor" under his picture. His name is Robert Jeffress and he is Pastor of First Baptist in Dallas, a position which often leads to being named President of the Southern Baptist Convention.

He was pretty good at self-promotion when he was Pastor at First Baptist in Wichita Falls, Tx. When the book promoting homosexuality,"Heather has Two Mommies" was published, Jeffress put together a campaign asking people to check out the book and not return it.

I doubt most folks would have heard of it if not for him, so he sure helped the book's sales.

A few years ago, my wife and I decided to attend Sunday morning Easter services at his church in W.F., figuring we would see some of the pageantry, and hear some of the music that large Baptist churches commonly put on at Easter.

Instead, the ENTIRE service consisted of watching a really professionally crafted video of the Architect's drawings of a new Mega- Bld'g planned to be built next door. Of course there was a solicitation for pledges, and all the money collected that morning was dedicated to the new building.

That was it. No Easter sermon. No Easter music by the choir. Just a pitch for money.

I reckon it was successful since the new bldg was built and " The Lord called Brother Jeffress to First Baptist in Dallas".

And now he's on Fox.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Preacher's hover very near the bottom of my "people to trust" list.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Yep.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

THEY made their reputations..... we would be fools to ignore it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
he is Pastor of First Baptist in Dallas, a position which often leads to being named President of the Southern Baptist Convention.
A 1st Baptist church is part of the American Baptist convention, not the Southern Baptist. They're entirely separate other than in their beliefs.

I can't speak for Southern Baptists, but each American Baptist church chooses it's own minister. The ABC has no control at all on who they pick. If a church chooses such a man, it's that churches decision and has no reflection on the national convention or on any other individual church.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't trust anyone that attends one of those mega churches

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no use for organized religion.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
he is Pastor of First Baptist in Dallas, a position which often leads to being named President of the Southern Baptist Convention.
A 1st Baptist church is part of the American Baptist convention, not the Southern Baptist. They're entirely separate other than in their beliefs.

I can't speak for Southern Baptists, but each American Baptist church chooses it's own minister. The ABC has no control at all on who they pick. If a church chooses such a man, it's that churches decision and has no reflection on the national convention or on any other individual church.

EVERY "First Baptist Church" I have attended, and been a member of, was a member of the Southern Baptist Convention.

ALL Baptist churches practice a Congregational form of church government and are an entity unto themselves.

If you want to research [I don't, I'm speaking just from my memory] I believe you will find that First Baptist of Dallas has often been the springboard to leadership in the SBC. The same can be said for First Baptist of Memphis and Atlanta.

The Roman Catholics don't have a lock on politics or money raising.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pastors of smaller churches seem to be the 'real thing'. Pastors of megachurches seem to all be charlatans, crooks, and snake oil salesmen.

Sam......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Pastors of smaller churches seem to be the 'real thing'. Pastors of megachurches seem to all be charlatans, crooks, and snake oil salesmen.

Exactly my observations as well.

Our church pastor visits the homes of his members quite frequently, and is quite a fixture in the town doings.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Every 1st Baptist I've ever heard of has been American Baptist...but I'm a northener. If you google it, you'll find that American Baptists are usually called that. However, in the past when a Baptist church of any flavor was the first to open in a town, they'd often called themselves the First Baptist simply because they're the first one there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every profession has good ones and bad ones. With religion, you just have to figure out who they truly serve.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I distrust Baptists more than I do Preachers.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Matthew 23 comes to mind:

23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4 They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

5 “Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries[a] wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6 they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7 they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.

8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. . ."

A church building is not necessary. For the true church is in the hearts and devotions of the congregants; without a soul to bear His light and spirit; without a righteous person to sacrifice ego for virtue, there is no place for the Son of Man. Preach therefore not of the things of this world, but of the next, setting aside all vanity for the treasure to come. To be loved in name by the Holy Spirit is to gain eternal bliss beyond measure.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

EVERY "First Baptist Church" I have attended, and been a member of, was a member of the Southern Baptist Convention.

ALL Baptist churches practice a Congregational form of church government and are an entity unto themselves.

If you want to research [I don't, I'm speaking just from my memory] I believe you will find that First Baptist of Dallas has often been the springboard to leadership in the SBC. The same can be said for First Baptist of Memphis and Atlanta.

The Roman Catholics don't have a lock on politics or money raising.

that's been my experience and understanding as well. at least down south. in my personal view, there's a more conservative side of the SBC, and a more moderate side. yet, the blanket remains in tact, so to speak.

we've had our fair share of uh...articulate speakers. seems like the more articulate they are, the greater the size of the congregation.

there's been a catholic spokesperson on the Fox nearly foreever. i think he has written a book or two.

i always liked to read of Malachi Martin's books about the vatican, etc. etc.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I wouldn't altogether disagree with you. But i wouldn't paint with too wide a brush. There are always exceptions. There is a monster church not far from me probably over 35k belong to it.
I don't. Told a lot of ex catholics there. They seem to do a good job.
Had a life long friend lose a grandson in a car accident a few years ago. They stepped up to the plate took care of the whole thing, burial expenses, service, the dinner afterwards. My friend was not a member at the time. They do a lot of stuff like that.
Few years back we use to have a motorcycle run from that church to firebird raceway. They set up big screens in the church so family members in iraq could see their families at the church.
pretty special.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
them mega churches creep me out. i've been to two for services and events. too much smiling and over acting for my taste buds

My diploma is a DD214
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Never take a Baptist fishing with you because they'll drink all your beer.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

Define small. Most of the smaller churches are that way for a reason. This is where you find the preachers who are into the snake handling, and other cult like activities. They have been run off from mainstream churches and formed their own along with a handful of other nut cases.

The megachurches just practice a different form of crookedness.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jim Baker (PTL Club) Jimmy Swaggert and Safariman come to my mind.See any problems with these 3 Bozo,s?

Last edited by coobie; 11/26/15.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.