Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Pastors of smaller churches seem to be the 'real thing'. Pastors of megachurches seem to all be charlatans, crooks, and snake oil salesmen.

Not true, Sam. I got a great deal on a '76 Pinto from a pastor that tried group baptisms to generate attendance.

Ran just fine after they drug it out of the river and called the next of kin. grin

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by victoro
Never take a Baptist fishing with you because they'll drink all your beer.
It is OK if you take two of them fishing with you.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Most mega churches are run like corporations by a "board" with the pastor as CEO, or a really tight family group. You really don't want to judge them, but it does raise an eyebrow when they collect a 300k salary and spend a good deal of time promoting their latest book in order to enrich themselves.

Everything will be sorted out in the end, and everybody will stand before an Almighty God.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Notropis
Originally Posted by victoro
Never take a Baptist fishing with you because they'll drink all your beer.
It is OK if you take two of them fishing with you.

Careful with that joke kids, its an antique.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So this guy gets rescued after spending several years stranded alone on a desert island, when the rescuers arrive they note he has built three huts.

"What's that?" they say, pointing to the first one.

"That's my house." the guy says.

"And that one?" they ask, pointing to the second hut.

"That's where I go to church." he says.

"Well, what about that one?" they ask, pointing to the third hut.

"Oh, that's where I used to go to church."

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally, I'd rather sort them out here.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A priest and a nun playing golf....

The priest takes a swing, slices and sends the ball into the trees...

"Damn, I missed." Mutters the priest, the nun gasps in shock.

In the woods, the priest hits the ball but it hits a tree and richochets into a sand trap.

"Damn! I missed!" says the priest.

"Father!" Exclaims the nun, "You are a man of the cloth, if you speak like that God will strike you down!"

In the sand trap the priest slices again, the ball lands in the pond.

"DAMN! I MISSED!" Yells the priest.

Not a cloud in the sky, out of the blue a lightning bolt comes down, hits the nun, and strikes her dead.........

"Damn, I missed" comes a voice from above.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So one day, at the Vatican, a cardinal approaches the pope.

"Your Holiness" says the pope, "I have some good news and some bad news".

"OK", says the pope, "give me the good news first."

"Jesus is on the phone, he said to tell you he's back on earth."

"WHAT!" says the pope,"Jesus is BACK! This is WONDERFUL news! What could possibly be wrong?"

"Well, he's calling from Salt Lake City."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
...and of course....

Q: Why don't Jehovah's witnesses like Halloween?

A: They hate it when strangers come knocking on their door.

OK, that,s about all the religion jokes I got, besides the ancient Baptists-not-liking-sex-standing-up-because-it-looks-too-much-like-dancing one.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Amazingly sad story.

Any preacher who can get through any Lord's Day w/o preaching the Good News of God's gracious gift in Christ has an especially hot place in Hell set aside for him.

The word Anathema comes to mind.

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The office needs to be respected, and the office holder duly scrutinized.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The Jehovahs are rather aggressive in my town. They'd invite my foster kids to all kinds of stuff church related trying to convert. So, I started inviting their kids to youth group stuff at my church. I've never seen such a quick change in attitude. The Jo Ho parents would completely shut down, and not even make eye contact.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pastors of smaller churches seem to be the 'real thing'. Pastors of megachurches seem to all be charlatans, crooks, and snake oil salesmen.

That's my observation, too, Sam. Another one is, the more people I'm considering doing business with (including tenants) start talking about God, how many times they go to church a week, and their family, the less I want to do business with them.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Enter ye by the narrow gate, for broad is the way to destruction, and many there are who go that way.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ain't preachers about the easiest thing in the World to put on "ignore"?

Ain't gonna point fingers, those who worship at such megachurches surely are happy to be there, even if the "tithing" can run steep.

I expect there's worse things to be preoccupied with than one's prospect of eternal life through a Christian message.

Talk to the attendee of a local mosque fer example....... every one I know of is funded by the Saudis.

Birdwatcher

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JMR40

Define small. Most of the smaller churches are that way for a reason.
Speaking the plain unvarnished truth is a sure path to unpopularity, too.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Calvin
Most mega churches are run like corporations by a "board" with the pastor as CEO, or a really tight family group. You really don't want to judge them, but it does raise an eyebrow when they collect a 300k salary and spend a good deal of time promoting their latest book in order to enrich themselves.

Everything will be sorted out in the end, and everybody will stand before an Almighty God.
Well said.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Enter ye by the narrow gate, for broad is the way to destruction, and many there are who go that way.

Zactly; preachers too often turn into ear ticklers & nothing more. There is a certain offense imbedded in the Gospel (like that Jesus needed to die) that doesnt win popularity points these days.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Must be some sort of eggspert. I am more concerned about their sheeple. Hope they don't leave their skepticism at the door and just have blind faith.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does anyone here actually listen to his Sunday AM messages?

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.