Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Just looking for others experiences with Nikon. I have an older Nikon scope I bought new about 15 years ago, a 2-7 x32 variable that just started malfunctioning, where the variable knob will not turn, so it is locked at 2x.

Have not started the process with Nikon, but am looking for others experiences with them before I do start the process.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a 4.5-14 Buckmasters that I have owned for long while go down a couple of years ago. I called Nikon and got an RA # which went very smoothly and sent it to their repair facility in California.

It took a total of 14 days to get the scope sent in, fixed, and sent back. 10 of those days was transit time with UPS.

I thought they did very well and the scope is still working fine.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Anyone else?

-George Washington
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
nikon's camera repair policy is absolute [bleep]. Won't buy another one. Hope their scope policy is better.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
they won't fix it. they'll replace it. i sent in a nice little 1.5-4.5x20mm UCC that cost $225 new and got back a completely different style 2.5-6x36 that was 3 inches longer and had a turkey plex on it that i could have bought on amazon for $150. ended up selling it for $100. fugg nikon.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Grand
nikon's camera repair policy is absolute [bleep]. Won't buy another one. Hope their scope policy is better.

That was pretty much my experience. Only mine was a $10k survey instrument. whistle

No more Nikon.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
had an issue with Nikon, all they would say is send it in. I asked if they would fix or replace, and the reply was always "send it in" then you're at their mercy. funny thing was all I wanted was a fix on an aftermarket accessory. the scope itself was fine. they still wanted me to send the whole works in.

Good luck, no more Nikon for me either because of that.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Took me about a year and countless phone calls to convince them that I did not need to send in a scope to get replacement adjustment turret caps. Then another six months to get the matte black instead of the silver ones they sent the first time.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Had a similar issue with an older pre-Monarch 3-9×40....sticking variable ring. They replaced it with a new Monarch 3 2.5-10×42. Good trade on my part but if I was trying to scope a lightweight rifle it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd submit a claim and send it back in and follow up with a phone call to make sure you get a choice on replacement if they decide to do so.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good luck if you don't have the original sales receipt and registration info. If you do, your chances are 50/50 at best.

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
For those that are saying good luck, have you had recent dealings with them on a warranty? I have and had good timely service. It's my understanding that they have made great strides in their CS.

C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
For those that are saying good luck, have you had recent dealings with them on a warranty? I have and had good timely service. It's my understanding that they have made great strides in their CS.

In your dealings, did you have the receipt and warranty card? Not sure I will be able to find those.

-George Washington
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by cv540
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

In your dealings, did you have the receipt and warranty card? Not sure I will be able to find those.

No in fact I had bought it used from a buddy and I'm not sure where he had gotten it from. I assume because of age they didn't have parts or didn't want to even mess with trying to repair.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nikon recently implemented the same warranty as Vortex - the "I'm and idiot who doesn't know how to use a scope or binocular so no matter what I do they will send me a new optic". While this might sound good it costs the rest of us more money in the way of higher prices because of idiots and the me, me, me mentality. It will also hinder improvements in existing optics lines. Say Nikon improves the Monarch 3 series of scopes with better glass or 5X magnification ranges. I can literally take every Monarch 3 scope I own and smash it with a hammer, send it in and get a new one free. So what reason does Nikon have to make improvements?

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
So taking a company up on its lifetime warranty is a me, me, me attitude? I was hoping they'd just repair it for a nominal fee but they didn't give that option, it was replacement only. The consumer controls price. If they start marking them up too high to cover warranty costs people will go with another brand.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No using a lifetime warranty is fine but having to have a lifetime warranty that covers everything regardless of what happened to compete is rediculous. If the magnification adjustment stops working after 10 years it's one thing but if you drop your rifle out of the tree and your scope gets smashed on a rock how is it the manufactures fault in any way shape or form? It's just sad that manufactures need to have to offer such stupid things to compete.

Ask the higher end fly rod makers how a no fault lifetime warranty worked out for them? They couldn't change the guides they put on the rods or even the color they paint the blanks because as soon as they changed something on the rods they would get a huge spike in warranty returns because people were breaking the rods on purpose to get the newest version. When warranty replacements started approaching 50% of the total rods the companies made they decided that something needed to be done and they stopped honoring the warranty in the way they were in the past.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have had excellent C/S from Nikon on two different occasions. I bought a scope from a guy on here once, claimed nothing was wrong with it, when I got it and looked through it, looked like you were looking at a football. I called them, they gave me an RGA number, I sent it in and in about 10 days they sent me a brand spanking new one. Only thing it cost me was the freight to them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
As long as we're talking warrantees, anybody have to deal with Minox? I recently bought a $600 Minox, brand new in the box. Mounted it on the rifle I wanted to use for an upcoming elk hunt. Hot it mounted on the rifle, got it all leveled out and proceeded to bore sight the scope. Well the elevation went smoother than a babies bottom. When I went to set the windage, the crosshair never made it to the vertical line in the bore sighter. Stopped dead about a three lines shy of the line. Called Minox and they told me where to send it in. It's in the hands of Fedex now. Probably won't see it till sometime next year and my hunt starts in 30 days. GRRR! You'd think something that cost that much would be in working order. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
PJ the question is were the crosshairs moving? Did they move as much as they should and your scope mount or rifle has something off on it? I've mounted many scopes that had all the travel they should have but the mounts or rifle were the problem that didn't allow the rifle to be sighted in.

Did you shoot the gun or just trust the bore sighter?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
someone on this site works for nikon. i sent one back and had posted here that i sent it back,he pm'd me and asked me to give him my order number from nikon and he checked on it for me. i got mine back very fast.they repaired it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 1lesfox, 163bc, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,353
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.