Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I needed a back up blaze orange hunting vest, but never could find one that fit my requirements, most of them are made out of noisy material. Well I found a 3xl blaze orange sweat shirt at Wally World really cheap and the material is super quiet. So off came the sleeves, and split down the center, all loose edges were hemmed back, the sleeves were turned in to deep petitioned pockets for hand warmers and other sundry items, and is sporting deer antler buttons.
Modern manufacturing is a marvel, but every now and then I like something hand made, kind of a tribute to the older ways that I tend to forget about. My grandmother was a seamstress for the orphanage I grew up in, and I can remember the hours she spent over her sewing machine working on donated clothes to alter them to fit the children, it was a labor of love for her.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Last edited by j2dogs; 11/26/15.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Your Grandma would be proud. Well done.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Niiiiiice!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Genius, that should work great. Everything I find is either junk or $$$$$$$.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've got several mesh orange vests. I keep one in my pack just in case I need one while gutting a deer.

http://www.fullsource.com/radians-svo/?gclid=CPul6dbGrskCFQ8yaQod_mkBMQ

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very Interesting - great idea ! !

In cold wx I like the mesh vest over the cold wx clothing.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Much like yours,my mom sewed me a vest about 20 years ago form fleece I bought at the local material shop. I just noticed that the zipper is finally starting to come loose. It'll go back to Delaware once the season is over for some work for next year. That's a lot of hard use over the years. I hope you get the same use from your new vest.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dang, this brings back memories my Grandmother sewed a lot also, made quilts with her friends, etc. In the fall hunters would bring hunting jackets to be mended, zippers repaired, ah to have a time machine....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool!!!!!! that kind of talent is fading away....

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This is so cool! Great story.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
all we're required to have is an orange hat or "one article of visible clothing. most people opt for a hat/cap

but kudos on a cool piece of clothing, I'd wear it if I needed that much orange!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good for you, J!

I'm just an old hilljack from Southeastern Kentucky myself. I'm proud of where I came from, and thankful for the family that raised me.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Almost all my layers are blaze orange. Every once in a while blaze becomes a yuppie color, and then you can score layers cheap. I have synthetic t shirts and several fleece jackets that are blaze, purchased at half the price of hunting clothes from Sierra trading post.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I made my own Whatamart Blaze Special years ago. I picked up a XXXL fleece "Winchester" jacket and whacked the sleeves. Fleece doesn't unravel, just like the old soda bottles it's made from. My creation has inside and outside pockets and goes over all my hunting coats with ease, even the Filson double mac. $10 and 5 minutes invested.

I also carry a light fabric vest to put on while dressing and dragging out a deer. Used it Tuesday to keep blood off my new Bemidji blaze orange wool coat, which I rolled up and lashed to my rucksack.

A couple years back I ran into a clueless young fellow that was hunting with only an orange hat, while our regs require 400 sq. inches. I explained the rule to him and gave him the cheap spare in my bag to keep him out of dutch. Cheap goodwill.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice job, only improvement I would suggest putting the pockets on the inside. That way they don't catch on things nor collect debris so easily, velcro or a flap would make the gear stowed there more secure. How do I know? I made a similar vest out of a blaze orange hoodie and lost my cell phone out of an open pocket.

j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thought about that. But when I am on a stand, and its real cold, and the deer are close sound wise I like to pull my glove off and easily slip my hand in my pocket with the hand warmer, so I can slip it out with as little movement as possible and be ready to pull the trigger. I have in the past cut a slit in my trigger finger glove, but as I get older seems like even doing that gets my fingers cold. This way I can take my glove off if I hear them coming and be ready to shoot quickly, and still keep my hand warm for a little while anyway.

Last edited by j2dogs; 11/27/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How cool is that! Job well done. Ive been looking for a replacement for my 15 year old vest that I "outgrew". This gives me some ideas.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good thinking. Well done. You'd think manufacturers could figure out loud clothing don't work right?

LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,251
Posts18,466,956
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.