Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I bloodied my .30/30 this year, too. Just a meat doe, though. I used a Leupold M8-4X on mine. It worked fine.

I didn't even bother to load for it, I bought "shells" at the store (the horror of it all!!!).

Mine isn't as pretty as yours, , mine has "character" as defined by the previous owner letting it rust up a bit. Shoots pretty good, though.

Speaking of buying "shells" at the store. One of the finest factory loads for hunting whitetail ever devised, is the Remington 170 grain Core Lokt HOLLOW POINT. Holy moly!! I like loading for the 30 WCF, but there is really no need.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
To the OP, congratulations on a nice buck, and style points for sure on the Marlin.

I'm with the other poster about the glass. Love the looks of that straight tube.

Congrats!!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ratsmacker and CT, I reload every rifle I own and after seeing boxes and boxes of 30-30 ammo on the shelves I decided to purchase a lever action and hunt whitetails with it this year.

It has been really fun buying factory ammo and testing them out for accuracy. I definitely have enough brass to reload, but for what little I will be shooting this rifle, going to stick with factory.

CT, I intend to purchase a box of Rem. Core Lokt 170 grain hollow points to see how accurate it is in the Marlin.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I bloodied my .30/30 this year, too. Just a meat doe, though. I used a Leupold M8-4X on mine. It worked fine.

I didn't even bother to load for it, I bought "shells" at the store (the horror of it all!!!).

Mine isn't as pretty as yours, , mine has "character" as defined by the previous owner letting it rust up a bit. Shoots pretty good, though.

Speaking of buying "shells" at the store. One of the finest factory loads for hunting whitetail ever devised, is the Remington 170 grain Core Lokt HOLLOW POINT. Holy moly!! I like loading for the 30 WCF, but there is really no need.

While moving around some ammo I found 7 boxes of Remington 170gr Core-Lokt 30/30 ammo and I didn't even have a 30/30 in the house. I quickly found a great 1973 model Marlin 336 so I bought it and brought it home so I wouldn't have extra ammo laying around.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congrats on the buck. Harvested a few deer with my 30-30 over the years.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great buck and story Roundoak.

I chickened out this year and hunted with my 8x57 instead of a .30-30 or .32 Winchester Special. Like you it was an iron sight issue. I don't hunt with them anymore.

Get ready for some stick shock when you buy that Remington 170 gr. hollow point. Instead of $13/box like the rest, the local Gander Mountain charges $30/box for that stuff.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Does Remington even offer the 170 gr core-lokt hollow point any longer?

Doc

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Apparently, but you have to luckier than a unicorn shoe to trip on a box for sale.

I've got about 2 and a half boxes.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Youper
Great buck and story Roundoak.

I chickened out this year and hunted with my 8x57 instead of a .30-30 or .32 Winchester Special. Like you it was an iron sight issue. I don't hunt with them anymore.

Get ready for some stick shock when you buy that Remington 170 gr. hollow point. Instead of $13/box like the rest, the local Gander Mountain charges $30/box for that stuff.

Yeah, I bought a box here the other day that was "inflated".

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow nice buck & rifle!

I just pulled the scope off mine & bought a Williams FP & high via front blade for it. Need to get it out!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
efw, good luck in making the irons work for you. Let us know your results.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dang! Great job, great hunt, great buck. The old turdy-turdy still gets it done. I might pull mine out for a day this fall.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Great deer, story and rifle. Congrats!!!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
ratsmacker and CT, I reload every rifle I own and after seeing boxes and boxes of 30-30 ammo on the shelves I decided to purchase a lever action and hunt whitetails with it this year.

It has been really fun buying factory ammo and testing them out for accuracy. I definitely have enough brass to reload, but for what little I will be shooting this rifle, going to stick with factory.

CT, I intend to purchase a box of Rem. Core Lokt 170 grain hollow points to see how accurate it is in the Marlin.

That was my plan, too. I moved last year, and all my loading stuff is still packed away for the next anticipated move, whenever that happens. I had some 170CLs that shot pretty well, but I used WW Power Point 150s, just because. Not a fan of Remington ammo, truthfully, but I might break down and buy some more. I got a good deal on the Winchesters.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
For the sake of discussion, I was perusing the Midway website a week or so ago, and noticed that the 170 grain HP is going to be loaded by Winchester as well.

It wasn't available when I was shopping, but it is apparently in the pipeline.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Does Remington even offer the 170 gr core-lokt hollow point any longer?

Doc

We have two Wal-Mart Super Centers where I live and each year in the past before hunting season they always had plenty of Remington Core-Lokt ammo available in the more common calibers including .35 Remington.

This year they didn't have any ammo sitting out. Nothing. The lady behind the counter was clueless. I don't know what Remington is doing now because in the past they would make a once yearly run on less common ammo. They sure know how to lose customers by not having ammo available and now marketing the crappy firearms they build now. I guess it's their new ownership run by libs and bean counters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well then. You blew your shot to win the Dink-A-Thon.

Happy Thanksgiving

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Snow...classic "woods" rifle...and a very nice buck! What else could you ask for in life.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
520 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.