Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
a 50's Target in 257 Bob I put in a Varminter stock, I had it Ceracoated Titanium Black, Stock was a beautiful refinish, with med heavy Target barrel and hornady +P 117 gr ammo Im getting cloverleafs, Photos today I hope. Im tickled, Im thinking its my next neck shooting whitetail gun! My smith is on my pre war undrilled 22 hornet now!The sweet lady is trying to dry 60 years of oil out of stock and its getting a rust blue, it will wear a Lyman Targetspot in 20X, Im thinking this will wind my pre 64 collecting days up! I did trade my Browning freak cousin out of an undrilled model 43 in 218Bee yesterday that is getting a wood facelift! Nice gun! Ive always been a bee fan, mine is factory drilled, I hate to drill this undrilled gun!but damn my eyes are no good with irons anymore!I may see if my stilth mount will work on this bad boy! 257 Bob photos to follow next range session, I left my damn bullets down at Gunshop when he tweaked trigger and extractor! very best WinPoor

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
quote: "I'm thinking this will wind my pre 64 collecting days up!"

Steve, I don't believe that, you don't believe that, nobody here believes that. But on the other hand, if I was a pre-64 stuck in a LGS or pawn shop somewhere I'd definitely want to go home with YOU:)
The .257 Target sounds nice, looking forward to pics.

John

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Winpoor, sounds like you've got yet another fun pre64 heater to shoot. Good going!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a nice rifle. I just wish more of you could post pictures.... Steve, that means you too buddy.... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sounds like a nice rifle. I just wish more of you could post pictures.... Steve, that means you too buddy.... laugh

Im trying, I took 8 photos of the Bob Varminter, The dog damn HP computer wanted to download 267 photos and 5 videos off the camera that I had just put new battery's in! On my old computer it would only upload new photos and forget the ones it had already picked up! The old Samsung that I loved so has 3/4 of a screen these days and I hate to send it off again! I will figure it all out! I will tell you guys Im not in love with the new windows 10 but its probably due to my being so computer dumb, till late 90's I could not turn a computer on, since then you SOB's have cost me untold amounts of money on pre 64' mod 70's !!! LMAO I do enjoy them and this forum!!!
After Mr Rule told me what he got for his special order 257 Varminter I knew the only way I would have one was build it myself, I usually steer away from problem guns but the water damaged, mis-handled 257 Target was just to rare to not bring back, the bore was nice and after a cloverleaf with first box of ammo I found off the shelf I am a happy camper!!! the very best winpoor

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
EDIT: If any of you guys run across a NOS extractor for a 257 Roberts buy it for me! about every 5th or 6 shot mine will fail ti extract, at first we thought the chamber just needed polishing up as the bore cleaned up to a tee and shoots fantastic, BUT after a tune up trip back to my favorite gunsmith we figured age or an ols gunsmith pushed the file 3 times to many on existing extractor, one thing about them ,you cannot put metal back on! you can take a hell of a lot off, Im not worried as I know one cold bore shot will get the job done on a whitetail, I have had 5 bucks come out as a group in my old 30 yr stand, I was shooting a coyote lite 70 in 25wssm and popped 2 before short shucking and hanging that gun up due to being so excited, it was FUN gun and I nailed untold deer and several coyotes with it. After getting so deep in pre 64's I let it go this year with 500 rounds of once fired brass, I have a custom 70 in 25-06, Shilen barrel, Borden stock and old 3x9 Leupold, now this Bob and just did not need 3 .25 cals... I will tell you 25 cal lovers the 110 gr accubond is the cats azz on deer and coyotes, it is to me now what the larger cal BTs were when they came on the scene many years ago. I hope I can find the Fed Prem +P ,110 gr accubond ammo .... very best winpoor

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Lucky dog! I'm jealous. My son took a nice buck last weekend with my 257 Roberts (see 2015 Harvest Page). The round is perfect for him (11yrs old) and he can shoot it lights out.
Congrats on the find and rescue!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Winpoor, unfortunately my favorite Pawn & Gun owner likes old Model 70's, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Photo bucket and my camera is being an azz but Im trying to post a few photos of my Pawn shop Rescue 257 Bob Varminter! A special thanks to Margret and Mark of Masters of Gun and Rod in Tallahassee FL, Margret did stock and Tit Black Ceracoat, Mark the rest! I love the gun and plan on neck shooting a freezer buck today! tackdriver with first ammo I could find on shelf, Ammo was so old it was priced at 19 bucks! 3 boxes of Hornady custom 117gr +P, I am stoked!!!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Folks I do not know where in the hell the wood border on photo came from!!!!I will post target pix it is a true 1/2 inch, cloverleaf at 100 yard gun, Im knocking the black bull out and all 5 shots touching or thru same hole! It had some water damage pitting on barrel but Mark took time and turned it down with 600 and 400 grit , no uglys around rollmarks and bore was pristine!
Next up is a pre war hornet Target that was not drilled ! Talk about rare! no pitting, good bore and Miss Margret is trying to pull the 60 years of oil out of stock before refinishing, its getting a rust blue job, and a 20 X Lyman Targetspot! I cannot wait to tune her up! I hope its my and Master of Gun And Rods last rescue! I usually steer clear of problem guns but both were to rare to let get away!
the very best WinPoor

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I tuned this gun up with a 12 X target with fine X hair and 3 target 1/8 min dots, Since it will be a 200 yard or less gun, I think she will wear a Leupold 8X AO duplex scope.... Thats the plan, Im calling her my baby 'Carlos', vb winpoor

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love rescues, can't wait to see glory pics.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,925
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.