Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Was all set to buy a Dakota Model 97 Alaskan Guide (Cabelas distinction without a difference to the regular Dakota Model 97) with fiberglass stock in a 338 win mag when the manager of the Cabelas started talking up the Christensen Classic Carbon instead, same caliber. Price difference was negligible at this price point.

Realistically, I want a high end 338 that will put the bullet where I want it to go, when I pull the trigger and that I can pass down to my kids.

Which is the better rifle?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You likely won't find a more accurate rifle than what you would get from Christensen.

I don't own any of their rifles but I do own one of their 1911's & it's a work of functional art & I've shot a couple of their AR's too which are great..........just can't justify the price.

They really know & understand how to use composites.

I don't like the magazine hanging out on their bolt guns & I'd double check that their rifle is really a 338 Win & not really a 338 Lapua.

For sure the Dakota will be a good rifle & it will surely be easier to sell if that means anything to you; getting rid of the Christensen will be difficult simply because of its relative obscurity & low demand level.

I seriously doubt that the Dakota would ever be fully the equal of the Christensen in the absolute accuracy department though, but still, likely good enough.

I did own a Dakota 76 & it was a great gun in all respects.

Prolly not too much help, but it's all I've got.

MM

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Christensen arms rifles have always seemed like more of a gimmick to me. And as i recall,the proprietor of chistensen got in trouble for poaching a deer in Utah a few years back. Dakota on the other hand, I've found to be excellent. YMMV

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
You likely won't find a more accurate rifle than what you would get from Christensen.

I don't own any of their rifles but I do own one of their 1911's & it's a work of functional art & I've shot a couple of their AR's too which are great..........just can't justify the price.

I don't like the magazine hanging out on their bolt guns & I'd double check that their rifle is really a 338 Win & not really a 338 Lapua.

For sure the Dakota will be a good rifle & it will surely be easier to sell if that means anything to you; getting rid of the Christensen will be difficult simply because of its relative obscurity & low demand level.

I seriously doubt that the Dakota would ever be fully the equal of the Christensen in the absolute accuracy department though, but still, likely good enough.

MM

shaking my head..wow

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rosco1

MM

shaking my head..wow

X2.....WTF A conversation with those two makers in the same sentence.......... confused

"One man with courage makes a majority."

Hank
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Two different platforms.The Dakota will out shoot your capabilities and not fall apart.An ideal DG Rifle.I do not know anything about the Christensen Arms excepting what I have read,but life is too short to hunt with a butt ugly rifle.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Easy decision for me. Dakota!

Arcus Venator
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

MM

This has not been my experience at all. Not knocking Montanaman, he has just had a way different experience than several of my buddies and I. Christensen seems pretty popular at all the gun stores around here, but never see anyone actually using one. I will admit I have never owned one, but that's because I had about 5-6 associates buy them and let me shoot them. Let's just say I have never had any desire to own any of those I have shot or seen shot.

As far as Dakota goes I haven't used any that were made since Remington bought them, so wont comment, other than to say I remember hearing that the difference in the Cabela's model was it had a floorplate while the normal model 97 was an ADL style.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by CRS
Easy decision for me. Dakota!
Yup,my choice also.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dakota, for certain.

In fifty years that carbon thing will look like any other hunk of obsolete tech. The Dakota will remain a work of art that your family will treasure.

I tried to watch the Christensen tv show a time or two without success.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Tucker1965

<snip>
Realistically, I want a high end 338 that will put the bullet where I want it to go, when I pull the trigger and that I can pass down to my kids.

You could answer your request by buying a NULA from Melvin Forbes...

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As some of the comments imply, comparing the Christensen and Dakota rifles is like comparing apples and tomatoes. Each seems to be well suited for their owners' intent, but they are usually acquired by very different shooters.

Simply as an example based on my own experience, I picked up a plain Christensen Carbon Extreme in 300 WSM about 10 years ago. The light weight of the rifle fit the cartridge well and gives me a very handy rifle that is easy to carry and whose stock design fits my shooting style.

Of the several 300 WSMs I've shot, this one is by far the most accurate and consistent. I'm not a long range shooter, but out to 300 yds. this rifle keeps 3 of my hand loaded Nosler 180 gn PPTs well inside 1 MOA consistently year after year.

My Christensen has turned out to be what I wanted - a hunting rifle that's delivered on every trip I've taken it on. It's taken game from 40 to 1500+ lbs. with those loads. It's my go to 30 caliber rifle when heavier soft skinned game is the intended target.

I've only had one Dakota, a 330, but wound up trading it. Unquestionably it was a magnificently finished, wood stocked rifle but I never seemed to pull it out of the safe and I finally realized I wouldn't hunt with it.

I'm not a big 338 Win Mag fan because when I decide I need a medium-class cartridge I tend to pick a larger caliber. Because I think of mediums as working rifles, the few times I decide to use one I choose an old 338 RUM SS, fiberglass stocked rifle that's had a bit of work done and works well enough for my uses.

Just my 2 cents, hope this helps.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 11/25/15.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264

I've only had one Dakota, a 330, but wound up trading it. Unquestionably it was a magnificently finished, wood stocked rifle but I never seemed to pull it out of the safe and I finally realized I wouldn't hunt with it.

As was the exactly case with the one 76 that I had............

But the 97 is a different (round bottom) receiver & is a synthetic stocked rifle.

MM

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Hunt with my Dakota 76. That's what they are made for. It even got a little rain on it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I too have some gun safe princess rifles.. This is not intended for that fate. This will be a hunting rifle which is why I am going with the synthetic stock.

i too wondered whether the carbon fiber was a just gimmick or worse a insulator thst would do more harm than good. Seems it would hold the heat in and keep the barrel hot longer. I could better understand it if it was entirely carbon fiber instead of a metal barrel wrapped in carbon. Now I have no engineering background but it almost seems like wrapping a blanket around something you want to cool off.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

i too wondered whether the carbon fiber was a just gimmick or worse a insulator thst would do more harm than good. Seems it would hold the heat in and keep the barrel hot longer. I could better understand it if it was entirely carbon fiber instead of a metal barrel wrapped in carbon. Now I have no engineering background but it almost seems like wrapping a blanket around something you want to cool off.

You are correct on this.

A few years ago a friend of mine did extensive research on this with some HI DOLLAR thermal imaging equipment that he uses at work. He found that the Christensen carbon wrapped barrels do indeed hold in the heat. On the other hand he found out that Proof Research barrels actually shed the heat faster than a normal non wrapped barrel.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
@boatanchor what was the reason for the result your friend got? Or did he not have an explanation?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

i too wondered whether the carbon fiber was a just gimmick or worse a insulator thst would do more harm than good. Seems it would hold the heat in and keep the barrel hot longer.

Although I'm not an engineer either, it's my understanding that the increased surface area and the type of material used to wrap the thin steel barrel actually promotes cooling as opposed to heat retention.

I have not had any problems with shifting POI with my rifle, although I shoot short strings of 3-5 shots. It's a hunting rifle.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 11/28/15.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
@Wildcatter264
By your reply I take it that you have a Christensen fire Arm? How long have you had it? Would you recommend it for a hunting rifle? What is you experience with it verses a Dakota? If you haven't used both (or either) I still would be interested in hearing your thoughts on what you do have experience with.

Thanks in advance,
Tucker

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, I stuck to the tried and true and went with the Dakota. Thrilled with the deal, think I got good deal on an NIB Dakota for less than what Cabela's paid Dakota for it.

Now the work starts on breaking in the barrel. Oh well, a man's go to do what a man's got to do.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 222ND, 66 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.