-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Great, it is gluten free, don't forget to bring Eileen...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
She can actually eat gluten now, along with dairy, thanks to a year of treatment. So no problems there anymore.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
As a more general comment, I was also one of those who somehow got more of the hunting gene than the rest of my family. The only other person among us who was a life-long hunter was my paternal grandmother. Dunno why!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a great thread. Thank you JB, for that great essay to start it off. And I am thankful for everyone's contributions that vocalized so many of my own thoughts, and said them better than I could have.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving day, everyone.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The earliest memory I have is being out hunting with my father when I was 3, maybe 4. He let me shoot his rifle. I knew then and there why I was on the earth.

Fishing is just hunting done a little differently.

When I can do neither anymore I will die.

I know why I like guns, most of the it's for strictly utilitarian reasons. I don't know why I need so many. If I have to kill something with every one of them, I will never live long enough. But, I have accurate ammo for virtually all of the rifles and I could pick up any of the shotguns and go bird hunting without missing a beat.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As a more general comment, I was also one of those who somehow got more of the hunting gene than the rest of my family. The only other person among us who was a life-long hunter was my paternal grandmother. Dunno why!

Good post John - I also must have gotten more hunting gene(s) than the rest of my family. As a kid, nobody in the family hunted but my Dad and Grandpa did a lot of shooting. Before I was old enough to go, I remember my Dad going hunting with others but think it was more of a social thing as he never shot anything. I begged him to take me as soon as I was old enough and am still the only one in the family that hunts.

Hope you and Eileen have a great Thanksgiving!

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
As others have said, I hunt because that is who and what I am. I also hunt as I am a "gadget guy" and there is an endless number of gadgets one can get for hunting. A look in my basement, the bedroom, my wife's home office, the garage, all 4 vehicles, the cabin, the storage shed, and the poultry hut will quickly show this to be true.

I also live for wild game and it makes up a large part of our diet. I was more a bird hunter than big game but that changed when I got married as my wife likes venison and she brought a cabin with 60 acres with as a dowry. Before her, I headed out of state to chase birds during the MN deer season as it was not safe to bring a dog into the fields during that time.

I find a lot of peace and contentment when in the field, I have plenty of time to think about whatever I wish and watching what Nature brings into my view is always a joy. From mice and chickadees visiting me to bears and wolves walking by, one never knows what the day will bring. I also use hunting as an excuse to put off fall chores but that is getting harder and harder as the wife is becoming wise to that and is hiring a younger guy to do these chores at an overly high price. That eats into my hunting funds so I balance out the time to do these tasks and the money I meed. Now, if that young guy would just go away!

I used to be a fisherman but that ended when I got married. It is much easier to sneak in a new firearm, reloader, ammunition, and even a new dog than a new fishing boat. Besides, she insists on having a parking space in the garage which meant either a boat would have to go or the dogs and goose decoys. So, bye, bye boat...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd like to say I hunt solely for the meat, but I know that's not the only reason. We utilize the meat to the fullest and fill the freezers every fall. That's just a way of life for us. We count on it every year.

If I'm going to be totally honest about this, I hunt because I like to shoot stuff. That's the bottom line....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
And Happy Thanksgiving!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm a trophy hunter.

A really, really, really schitty trophy hunter.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

My Dad, sons, and I hunt simply because that is what we are, hunters. I cannot remember a time when I did not want to hunt.

Just got in from our traditional Thanksgiving morning hunt and getting ready to head over to the feast. It is not Thanksgiving for me if some hunting does not get done. Sometimes it is just a symbolic hunt, but every year for as long as I can remember, starting on my grandparents farm in Iowa the 70's.

We had an especially blessed year and have much to be thankful for, not only in the hunting fields, but life in general.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I spend a lot of time, more than I care for, in this environment:

[Linked Image]

Hunting is how I escape from it all. Hard to answer an email in a place that you can't get cell phone service.

[Linked Image]
(Not my photo, BTW, but you get the idea).

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aside from a freezer full of great meat and fish, it gets us out and away from cities and their stench. It fills the drive in us to gather food, and it's a lot of fun! laugh

Hunting can be a tool to teach values. I have a wonderful willing student, my reason now to hunt. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It also makes my best Friends happy! laugh

[Linked Image]

For all this I am very thankful every day of my life.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just like to look around the country I guess, always have to see what's over the next hill.

Still love the river bottom though too.

And there has to be a challenge or it becomes boring. Guess that's where taking a mature buck comes into play.

Probably won't shoot a deer this year for the first time in about 10 years but that's okay. Anymore it's more fun to look than kill. That and there is no shortage of beef.....grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
We hunt because it's in our blood to do it. We are hardwired that way and I can't offer anything more as a reason than that, because I don't know one.

I just finished reading Spanish philosopher Jose Ortega y Gasset's "Meditations on Hunting" and that is exactly the point he makes: Human beings are hardwired for it.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Only some of us Mike. We all know virtual hordes of men that are repelled by the thought of getting dirty, horrified at the thought of getting bloody, and scared schitless of things that go bang.

Genetically I always wondered what happened to them....

We evolved with canine teeth, binocular vision,trichromatic vision,we are meant to be omnivores......which includes being a carnivore.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Only some of us Mike. We all know virtual hordes of men that are repelled by the thought of getting dirty, horrified at the thought of getting bloody, and scared schitless of things that go bang.

It is an interesting conundrum, isn't it. I expect they've only survived for millennia by hitching their wagons to those who haven't been repelled by such things.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thats my guess as well.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Only some of us Mike. We all know virtual hordes of men gender confused persons that are repelled by the thought of getting dirty, horrified at the thought of getting bloody, and scared schitless of things that go bang.

There. Fixed it for you.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Because it's who I am. Also, nothing smells better than burned gunpowder coming out of an action on a frosty, still morning. NOTHING

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

211 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 204guy, 33 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,161
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.