Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Working myself up to a 20ga Autoloader for sporting clays. Would like gun built on 20ga sized frame; one that will reliably shoot 7/8oz target loads; 28" VR CT barrel and can be expected to shoot 200 targets between cleaning and be reasonably easy to clean. Suggestions appreciated.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a new Turkish gun in 20 ga. One of those sold under several different names. CZ 720, S&W 1020, I think even Mossberg sells a version. Very light gun, maybe 6 lbs. Vent rib, tubes, 28" barrel, shoots target loads just fine, and as long as you use a synthetic CLP in the gas system, 200 rounds is no problem.

Granted, this is really more of an upland gun rather than a clays gun, being so light. But it shoots pretty softly.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Beretta of any sort.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I love the Enel Montefeltro, but I'm damned impressed by this little Silver eagle I got, it's a Turkish gun, but has well over 200 rounds through it with no issues

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Benelli M1/2 or similar.

I picked up a Stoeger M3020 for the kids off of the board here. It is a cheap knock off of the same. It is very light and reliable. 1/2 the price but no claims to longevity.

Last edited by supercrewd; 11/27/15.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Citori16
Working myself up to a 20ga Autoloader for sporting clays. Would like gun built on 20ga sized frame; one that will reliably shoot 7/8oz target loads; 28" VR CT barrel and can be expected to shoot 200 targets between cleaning and be reasonably easy to clean. Suggestions appreciated.

Nothing wrong with the Remington 1100 20 gauge Sporting Clays if your on a budget. Personally I think you should consider a Browning 725 20 gauge sporting with 32 inch barrels...You can thank me later. wink

Buy what you going to end up with..a O/U for clays. Also do you reload shot shells yet?

Doc

Last edited by doctor_Encore; 11/27/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1100 or 11-87

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Easy to clean, sounds like your looking for an inertia operated gun.
Benelli Legacy, Montefeltro or M2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input. Been shotguning for a lot of years. Competitively first with M12 then 1100, to 3200, 303 and then to Kguns. Then to a lot of wonderful years with bird dogs and bird guns with a lot of SxS shoots along the way. Load for all gauges. Have lost track of Autoloader devopment. Still enjoy an old 303 12ga for winter clays. Not too impressed with looks of new 400's. Dawson wants 995 for a 391. Seems like a lot for used gun and I recall dumping one pretty quick because they were nasty to clean.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I am not a big shotgun guy, and I only aim and shoot it at live targets, but IMO the Benelli M2 is unbeatable.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 35

Can one of you shotgun nerds tell me the difference between these 3?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 35
Easy to clean, sounds like your looking for an inertia operated gun. Benelli Legacy, Montefeltro or M2

Can one of you shotgun nerds tell me the difference between these 3? Travis

I don't consider myself a "shotgun nerd" but here goes. All the modern Benelli autoloaders use the same recoil inertia driven lockup system for their bolts, but a major difference between the 3 models you mentioned is the 2-piece receiver on the Legacy. There's a link to a good explanation on the Shotgunworld.com website ( http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=940247&highlight=#940247 ) which I copied & pasted below:

There are basically two frame styles. The first is the heavier sprung four shot models. This would include the SBE, SBE II, M1, M2. The second is the lighter sprung five shot models. These would be the Montefeltro, Legacy, Cordoba, Ultra Light, Sport, Sport II, Super Sport, Executive.

The four shot group have shorter and wider forearms, don't cycle as light of loads, can take magazine extensions to hold more rounds, have pistol grip stocks as an option, come in turkey models, have rifled barrel options, have mid height ribs, and come in W/B, B/S, and Camo finishes.

The five shot group have longer and thinner forearms, cycle lighter loads better, can't take a magazine extension to hold more, have both low and mid height ribs, only one model comes in B/S or camo, one in synthetic, and the rest in W/B.

They have two receiver designs. A more normal one peice of the M2,M1,Montefeltro,Sport. And the two peice of the SBE,SBE II,Cordoba,Legacy,Sport II,Super Sport, Executive.

The SBE and SBE II has the top part of the receiver that is a barrel extension. The other two peice models have a tube that slides over the barrel extension which makes the top part of the receiver.

On the pre 05' models there were two different trigger groups. The two peice receivers shared the same ones and the one peice receiver models shared theirs. With the 05' and newer models there are now three trigger groups. The SBE II has it's own, the other two peice receiver shares one, and the one piece receiver shares theirs.

The lesser known and older Benelli SL (same as the Beretta ES100/Pintail) is a combination of the SBE receiver (3") and trigger group with every thing else like the five shot group. It also had a bottom locking lug instead of the rotary bolt face Benelli now uses on all of it's semi auto shotguns.

The Cordoba and SS are the same except for their finishes. They differ from the SBE II more than their chamber lengths. The SBE II has the full barrel extension for the upper receiver, different trigger group, non ported barrels, sprung heavier, and has a four shot magazine tube.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by passport
1100 or 11-87

My 20 gauge 1100's are 12 gauge framed guns with nicely figured upgraded wood and choke tubes added. The extra weight of the 12 gauge frame smooths the balance and swing.

Doc

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
MT,

That is a good write up and thanks for the info.

I cannot see any advantage to going M2 vs. the Montefeltro in a 20gauge.

Can you?

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
1100 or 11-87

My 20 gauge 1100's are 12 gauge framed guns with nicely figured upgraded wood and choke tubes added. The extra weight of the 12 gauge frame smooths the balance and swing.

Doc

I can't fathom any of this.

Why would somebody want a 20 gauge built on a 12 gauge frame?

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 35

For simplicity and staying clean it's no contest between the inertia system and gas operated systems in favor of Benelli's inertia system. That not to say there are not some very good gas operated shotguns like the Berettas and some others.

Sticking with Benelli's then, for light weight there is the Montefeltro, the Legacy (a fancied up Montefeltro), and the Ultralight-- the 20ga Ultralight may be close to 5.5 lbs (even the 12 is just at 6 lbs). The Ultralight is limited to one in the tube and two in the magazine if that matters, one of the weight saving measures. The M1/M2s may fit the bill too though maybe not as aesthetically pleasing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1100 or 11-87

Doc

Travis

Doesn't make sense to me. I don't want a 16 gauge on the bigger frame either. Not for a hunting gun.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by MOGC
1100 or 11-87

Doc

Travis

Doesn't make sense to me. I don't want a 16 gauge on the bigger frame either. Not for a hunting gun.

Your right, my 12 gauge frame guns are not hunting guns but target guns. Both my 20 gauges are left handed 20 gauges built on 12 gauge frames. I wish Remington would build a lefty 20 gauge on the smaller frame.

Doc

Last edited by doctor_Encore; 11/29/15.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
MT,
That is a good write up and thanks for the info.
I cannot see any advantage to going M2 vs. the Montefeltro in a 20gauge.
Can you?
Travis

IMO, it all depends on how the shotgun 'feels' in your hands, how it balances and swings for you, and how well you shoot it. Shotguns aren't rifles. By that I mean one can usually shoot rifles of radically different stock dimensions fairly well but IMO, a shotgun has to fit the shooter reasonably well for your best results. I've owned/shot a couple of Benellis (M1, M2, Montefeltro & 12/20gauges) over the years, and they don't all work for me, especially the ones with the tightly curved pistol grips. If possible, I would try before buying.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
1100 or 11-87

My 20 gauge 1100's are 12 gauge framed guns with nicely figured upgraded wood and choke tubes added. The extra weight of the 12 gauge frame smooths the balance and swing. Doc

Travis

Remember, the OP's questions specifically referred to a shotgun for sporting clays NOT hunting. In that case, I too would generally prefer a heavier gun for competition shooting. IMO, it's much easier for the average shooter (that be me grin ) to maintain their swing and follow-thru with a heavier gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
767 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 92 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.