Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
348, My best hunting pal in W Va. was a real gun man.. He had everything from .22's to a .458.. He killed deer qwith most of them!!!

Molon Labe
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Not sure where Justin was hunting but our corner of Heaven was spooky quiet. It was cold, the stars were beautiful and we didn't even see a dink. We heard only four shots within miles all day. Very unusual for the area we hunt.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Hey old Rooster. I was out for a look see tues afternoon. Tired of staring at the same holler for 2 days,lol. Went over into Randolph county a little ways. It's amazing how different it is compared to Upshur where I was hunting. Things really open up down there. Pretty cool actually. Up where I was it's quite a bit like up home here. Deep steep hollers with laurel and such. Lots of cover.

Talk about frustrating! It was just me and my daughter hunting. Drives were out of the question. A deer here,a deer there. I passed one small buck in hopes Meg would get a crack at it. She had a couple close calls with a couple does,but no venison. 15 mins after dark they came out of the wood work. Just like here. There were deer there,just not standing around looking to get killed,lol. If I ever take a road trip that I don't have a full moon to deal with I'd be a happy camper. Every time I head out elk hunting we have a full moon that week. Head down to W.Va for deer hunting,full moon again. I think if it had been dark of the moon it would have been a hoot. Quality time together with a young one is never a bad thing.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Not sure where Justin was hunting but our corner of Heaven was spooky quiet. It was cold, the stars were beautiful and we didn't even see a dink. We heard only four shots within miles all day. Very unusual for the area we hunt.

Talked to a couple fellers at the motel that were similarly blessed. One saw no bucks,the other saw a dink. I still say that big moon was to blame. The small buck I passed was working a scrape. I do believe there were remnants of the rut in play. A few fellas in our area did score on nice bucks.

Last edited by Otter6; 11/25/15.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Oscar6 - I'll be the first to confess that I don't have a clue as to what's going on. Randolph is always productive but not this year. The scrape lines I've seen haven't been touched in days, no rubs, etc, and it's still quiet today.

IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I shot this 10 pt Monday at my farm in Jackson Co. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Beautiful!

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Hell yes! That'll do. Nice buck DeerJohn2.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
DeereJohn, what year is your Savage 99? Maybe I need to change to my 1950-something JC Higgins for tomorrow. I bought it here on the Fire last month. Heavy trigger (monster) but wickedly accurate. Maybe my mojo will get workin'.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
It's a 51 eg in 250-3000..I don't know when Dad got it but it was always around..It's got a real lite trigger..I shoot 87 gr Hot-cors...Im sure it was already drilled,and tapped,and padded before Dad got it,and that kills the collector value,but it has sentimental value to me,and what it lacks in size it makes up for in accuracy

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

Here's the one I got on Monday- I was very pleased when he stepped out in front of me! Public land mountain bucks don't normally look like this one!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw a buck chasing a doe today, right beside the road. He seemed pretty sure the rut is still on.

I've hunted two half days, popped a doe on Tuesday that showed up while I was removing a layer for my walk out. 30 foot offhand shot. While packing her out, I ran into a young man that was tracking a 6-point he had hit high from above. I tried to help him out a bit, but as usual with that shot placement, the trail was petering out.

Congrats, Justin and John. You can relax a bit now, I believe.

Last edited by Pappy348; 11/25/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Great buck Justin. Nice!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
8 point I took opening day.
[Linked Image]
Group shot of the club on opening day.
[Linked Image]
Black Bear one of our members took on one of our mountain drives.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice buck and pictures!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks, guys- I was a lot more excited than I look in that picture, it was the best smile I could muster after dragging that deer for 7 (yes, seven!!!) hours! It was wayyyy back from the roads and all uphill. I earned that one, and looks like I'll be heading for the same deal on Saturday!

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Good luck to you. Hope to see more big buck pics.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
As it turns out,a big buck we saw at the gas station in Buckhannon may topple the record for W.Va. Had to be the same deer. I've never seen tine length like that. I guess I should have tried a little harder to get over to the truck and get a better look. Not every day you get to see a record buck up close. Damn! Smoker of a whitetail no matter where you hunt.

http://wvmetronews.com/2015/11/27/upshur-buck-will-rival-record/

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sheesh! That is one monster buck!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (10Glocks, 44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 15 invisible), 1,966 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.