Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hillbillybear: Wasn't Hal Hartley from your neck of the woods?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Hillbillybear: Wasn't Hal Hartley from your neck of the woods?

Yep, his shop and home is/was located near Lenoir, NC about 30 miles north of where I currently live.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it shoots as good as it looks, it'll be a death ray. Let us know.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
If it shoots as good as it looks, it'll be a death ray. Let us know.

Will do. I am itching to try it out.

Right now its just waiting on Dad to decide on a scope.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Read a Hal Hartley article in Guns magazine.
http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1956issues/G0256.pdf

Last edited by butchlambert1; 06/13/15.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like an FN bolt handle.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22WRF
Looks like an FN bolt handle.

It may very well be an FN or FN style bolt handle.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was just thinking about Hal Hartley and his stock making this afternoon.

On his maple stocks he didn't use a stock blank or buy a commercial semi fit stock and finish it.

All his maple came from trees he selected and cut in the mountains near his house.

He then trimmed them down and dried the wood before cutting them into stock blanks.

He did all his own torching of the maple and the final cutting, finishing, and fitting of the stocks to the barrelled actions.

It would be interesting to know if any current stock makers control the whole process in the same way.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That is what custom rifles should look like

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

On his maple stocks he didn't use a stock blank or buy a commercial semi fit stock and finish it.

All his maple came from trees he selected and cut in the mountains near his house.

He then trimmed them down and dried the wood before cutting them into stock blanks.

He did all his own torching of the maple and the final cutting, finishing, and fitting of the stocks to the barrelled actions.

It would be interesting to know if any current stock makers control the whole process in the same way.

Roger Vardy carves a few and he is in control from growing to the end. He sells no blanks that are air dried less than 10 years.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Roger Vardy carves a few and he is in control from growing to the end. He sells no blanks that are air dried less than 10 years.

Thanks for the information. Its good to know there is still someone who does it this way.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Looks very similar to the Rifles my Dad left to me 2yrs ago...I'm smitten...Congrats on a fine Piece of history...Now get out n shoot it ...ScottyO.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ScottyO
Looks very similar to the Rifles my Dad left to me 2yrs ago...I'm smitten...Congrats on a fine Piece of history...Now get out n shoot it ...ScottyO.

Its too damned hot to go shoot right now. 92 in the shade and high humidity just plain sucks.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Finally got a short range session with this rifle. We mounted a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10 and headed out.

The 90 grain Sierra GKHP and the 100 grain Nosler BT with H4350 both turned in 3/4 inch groups @ 100 yards and 3337 and 3309 fps respectively.

Both bullets also shot to the same POI @100 which is a nice bonus.

Pretty good results for a 62 year old rifle and two "let's start here and try this loads."

I could no doubt squeeze more accuracy and speed out of the gun but for what this rifle will be used for (the occasional groundhog or other varmint and maybe a deer no further than 300 yards maximum) it will work just spiffy as it sets right now.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Old Hal liked his maple. I've collected custom rifles for about 50 years and Hartley currently isn't one of the darlings of the market.

I'd guess that the rifle is woth $2500.00 minimum and $3500.00 max is you can find the right buyer. Tastes change and you'll never lose any money hanging onto it.

Nice gun.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Dick_Wright
Old Hal liked his maple. I've collected custom rifles for about 50 years and Hartley currently isn't one of the darlings of the market.

I'd guess that the rifle is woth $2500.00 minimum and $3500.00 max is you can find the right buyer. Tastes change and you'll never lose any money hanging onto it.

Nice gun.

Lovely rifle and stock. Agree about the current market and prices. Current values are not what they were and buyers are out there but not easy to find. There are some great deals out there on vintage custom rifles with brown stocks the likes of which we will never see again. In the meantime, keep it clean and enjoy it.

W
W
Hi there, come here often for information, ideas. Came across this old thread on Hal Hartley and Barney Conlin. I bought a nice bolt action on line with barrel stamped CONLIN 30-06, 24" barrel, looks like #5 taper. Nice bluing but someone did a horrible job of what appeared to be 20 year old varnish that I scraped off and resanded stock, stained, sealed. The disassembly was difficult as an equally poor job of glass bedding locked up the threads on the action screws and spilled over and around the magazine well insert (box). The barrel had bedding nearly half way down the stock. I carefully removed all bedding and now have a free floating barrel. When I removed the Pachmayer rubber butt piece I could see that the stock had been shortened for the pad as there were two old screw holes. The stock looks like a twin to the rifle pictured in this thread a while back identified as a Hartley , tiger striping in the wood and beautiful deep glints of golden hue. I have read that the two collaborated on some rifles. I had also read that Hal initialed and occasionally numbered his work. If it was his and present, gone now to the shortened stock, I wish I had that piece of wood and history. I tried to load some pics but said file too large. I would love to share the pics somehow as I have convinced myself it is a Hartley after looking at many of his,, incredible lines, deep handcut checkering, rosewood grip cap, rosewood for-end, deep comfortable grip with great checkering. It has a Mark X action with jeweled bolt, factory target trigger with 3 adjustments for travel, overtravel, and pull weight. Very easy to adjust and super crisp pull I set at 3.5#. Thinking of a simple 3x9 to set in the beautiful rings and one piece base, Ruger I think. So, any help on how to share the pics, I think the finished project is an honor to both of them. Can't wait to shoot it, the bore and action internals look pristine. Thanks, sorry so wordy, Roger, Aberdeen, SD

Say What You Mean, Mean What You Say, and "Pass It Forward Everyday"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I can't view the photos, it's odd they are blurry but the next photos are clear. Too bad I really like Harley's work.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.