Print Thread
Hop To
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Found this unfortunate soul as a no price consignment gun in a local shop:

[Linked Image]

John Braxton's been making civil war era replicas, muzzleloaders, and cannons out of Snow Camp, NC for decades (nigh over half a century).

Hated to see this thing set on a shelf without a worthy price tag, so I alleviated that situation....

[Linked Image]

I didn't need another underhammer:

[Linked Image]

But the 45 cal fits nicely between the 32 and 54 I have built.

This one is a rugged work of art:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No sights, and was scope mounted with a weaver. I removed the scope and mounts. May consider a short Malcom to replace it, or I'll figure something to do with the holes...

[Linked Image]

Maybe something tang mounted, but I'd hate to cover that case

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I am a sucker for those lost souls too. Nice snag.

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll need to replace some screws.

Store owner said that the scope was probably installed and mounted by the owner, who had a lot of other guns that he worked on himself.

Can't say I like the little grooves cut on the barrel where the mount holes were tapped (it was already flat, so not sure why the mill marks and recess are there).

But it wasn't bad enough to pass it up.

Need to slug it and get a grip on the twist.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Very nice. Good for you.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I managed to find a phone number for the builder and left a message.

Folks are saying he's in his 70's or 80's.

I found the serial number stamped on the hammer, trigger and block face, all matching.

Hopefully that's a sign he kept records and can provide me some initial history.

I did a quick check for twist and its 21 ish.

Haven't slugged it yet.

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well the maker called me just after I posted and talked my ear off for an hour.

22 twist douglas barrel made in 1996.

He said he made quite a few bullet guns from douglas 45's back in the day, and even gave me the load, bullet and loading procedure he'd recommend to "kill anything this world had to offer"

He said he also has a couple stubs from the barrel stock used at the time, to be used as a push sizer, and all I need do is stop by and bring the old girl so he could see her, and he would "set me up to kill anything I had a mind to kill."

I like the guy already.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nice find very nice. Gun is sweet as can be.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RWE

He said he made quite a few bullet guns from douglas 45's back in the day, and even gave me the load, bullet and loading procedure he'd recommend to "kill anything this world had to offer"

He said he also has a couple stubs from the barrel stock used at the time, to be used as a push sizer, and all I need do is stop by and bring the old girl so he could see her, and he would "set me up to kill anything I had a mind to kill."

I like the guy already.

Great find. Jealous here.

Did you see this Braxton in the free classified from 2008?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/3520812/45_caliber_underhammer_black_p

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by RWE

I like the guy already.

Great find. Jealous here.

Did you see this Braxton in the free classified from 2008?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/3520812/45_caliber_underhammer_black_p

I did after I got it.

If it in fact sold for that amount, I stole this one...

The model in that pic, same as the one I have, difference being in the sights, is what Mr. Braxton called his "Cane Creek" model.

IC B3

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wanted to do some calcs based on velocity in order to think about a rear sight if I decide to go tang or perhaps a long strap peep, but to be honest, don't know where to start on how much a 360gr or 400gr 45 cal bullet would leave the gun at, in order to calculate trajectory and figure out how much adjustment I would need in a rear sight.

Anyone?

Assume FFFg if it helps the nuerons...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Wanted to do some calcs based on velocity in order to think about a rear sight if I decide to go tang or perhaps a long strap peep, but to be honest, don't know where to start on how much a 360gr or 400gr 45 cal bullet would leave the gun at, in order to calculate trajectory and figure out how much adjustment I would need in a rear sight.

Anyone?

Assume FFFg if it helps the nuerons...

Malcolm scope.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Several years ago I had a .45 slug barrel built for a T/C Renegade with a 1" barrel and a 1:24 twist (?) or there abouts I had a mould that threw a .450 Bullet with a .454 driving band that scrubed the bore on loading and kept bullet snug in bore and provided easy second shot loading. I also shot White MZ 400 grain bullets that were a staight .450. Don't know if they are still availiable, but the were not as accurate. I shot 70 of FFFG and as I recall got about 1200 FPS. Very accurate 1.5 MOA. All of this is from a fading memory but hope it help. It was deadly on deer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.