Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by CRS
All heavy metals are toxic. If you and I would be exposed to enough silver, we would be in trouble.

Water is toxic if you drink enough of it.

OK........

Why expose yourself to something you do not have to?

Arcus Venator
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by CRS
All heavy metals are toxic. If you and I would be exposed to enough silver, we would be in trouble.

OK........

I don't believe I advocated that. I was just commenting on your statement that all heavy metals are toxic. How about gold?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by CRS

OK........

Humans have been exposing themselves to silver, including silver nanoparticles, for thousands of years. Apart from the risk of your skin going a bit blue if you regularly drink colloidal silver, if there were going to be adverse health effects from contact with it you'd think they'd have emerged by now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by CRS

OK........

Humans have been exposing themselves to silver, including silver nanoparticles, for thousands of years. Apart from the risk of your skin going a bit blue if you regularly drink colloidal silver, if there were going to be adverse health effects from contact with it you'd think they'd have emerged by now.

dammit Dan you got it wrong. all those people wearing silver jewelry day in and day out are gonna drop dead any time now.

hell of a difference between ingesting heavy metals and some silver coated fabrics you wear.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW found some silk baselayers on Sierra today when ordering stuff due to a sale, no silver though, but gonna give it a shot and see where it falls in with my various wool and synthetics as far as effectiveness. have a fair bit of surveying still to do this winter so will see how it does.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heavy metal toxicity

Here is one link, google foo it. More info than you care to know.

And yes, gold can be, I had a patient who got very sick after having some gold crowns put in.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRS
Heavy metal toxicity

And yes, gold can be, I had a patient who got very sick after having some gold crowns put in.

once again the key word in all that is ingested. If your going to eat the clothing then yes you have a point but wearing it not so much

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CRS
Heavy metal toxicity

And yes, gold can be.....

Bullsh**

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually not bullchit, just doesnt apply to silver in clothing like is being discussed here.....or people that wear watches and jewelry would be phugged......worn is not ingested....and if your worried about silver in clothing lead bullets must scare the chit out of you.....

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CRS
Heavy metal toxicity

Did you read the paper you linked? It says of silver "very high doses" are required to produce acute effects. You actually have to inhale or ingest quite a large amount. Quite a different thing from having tiny quantities of it in fabric next to your skin. Indeed if having it next to your skin was a problem how do you explain the fact that for thousands of years people have worn it in jewellery, including piercings, as well as drinking and eating from silver implements, and yet without reports of adverse health effects?

As for gold crowns, the thing about them is that they are usually made of alloys in which gold is only a minor constituent, and it isn't the gold which is associated with the harm. A bit like saying glass makes you drunk, because booze is served in it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rattler
actually not bullchit, just doesnt apply to silver in clothing like is being discussed here.....

You are correct in that it doesn't apply to silver in clothing, but with respect to gold, which is what was being discussed above in my post, it's not only bullsh**, it's utter, complete bullsh**.

Hard to believe anyone arguing about toxicity would use a sample of one, with a supposed toxicant of unknown composition, and an anecdotal outcome as "evidence."

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=CRS] Heavy metal toxicity

And yes, gold

Bullsh**

You are seeming to take exception to heavy metals being toxic, it is well documented. Have you ever seen contact dermatitis from people that are sensitive to silver jewelry? I have.

OK.....use what you like.
I have been very happy with silk/wool, not so much with the newer materials. YMMV.

Silver clothing...an answer to a question I have never had with silk/wool.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CRS

And yes, gold

Bullsh**

You are seeming to take exception to heavy metals being toxic, it is well documented. Have you ever seen contact dermatitis from people that are sensitive to silver jewelry? I have.

I have been very happy with silk/wool, not so much with the newer materials. YMMV.

Do me a favor and fix your post, I didn't say what you attributed to me above.

And what I took exception to was your statement that ALL heavy metals are toxic. They're not. If you want to argue a point, know your subject.

Contact dermatitis is an allergic reaction, or a simple irritation, is it not?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRS

And yes, gold

Bullsh**

Do me a favor and fix your post, I didn't say what you attributed to me above.

And what I took exception to was your statement that ALL heavy metals are toxic. They're not. If you want to argue a point, know your subject.

Contact dermatitis is an allergic reaction, or a simple irritation, is it not?

yes it is and one that can happen easily with wool too. its not a toxicity issue

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and gold itself is about as harmless as a material can be as it is nonreactive unlike most metals. if someone is reacting to a gold filling its likely the copper or other materials in the alloy. and a filling in a mouth is a long way from a material on the skin as you would be swallowing whatever is coming off the filling there for ingesting.....and once again no one is planning on eating teh clothing though as far as heavy metals go silver is pretty nontoxic and i doubt there is enough in a piece of clothing to do anything if you did eat it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I find this thread funny, considering the number of people here who reload and play with lead bullets frequently, most likely not washing their hands. Lead is toxic too, bro.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
believe i pointed that out too grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dan, I'd just like to point out that every single person who ingested silver prior to about the end of WW I is dead.

Back to the original topic...

My cold-weather outings are pretty much limited to ice fishing. I love my set of silk top and bottom for a base layer. I wear fleece bottoms over that, and either wool or heavy poly shirt on top. I don a set of insulated overalls when I get to the lake, and if it's really windy, I'll put windpants and top over the whole works.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I had no idea so many men wore silk undies. I feel better about myself already.

Thank you.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 51 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.