-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Have booked a fly fishing week outside Bethel, Alaska. Does anyone know, if I can take three rod cases as carry-on luggage (two 4-piece rod cases and one 3- piece rod case)on commercial airlines. I know I could before 9/11.

Thanks,
Steeleman

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I cannot be a lot of help because I have not flown with rods in a few years now, but I have on a few occasions since 911 and did not have any trouble.

I purchased a rod tube that would hold three 4pc. 9'-0"(it was triangle shaped which worked great) and I was allowed to check it as what was then called a "personal item" in addition to a carry-on bag. I don't think a 3-pc 9'-0" rod would meet the criteria for a "personal item" then and I have no idea today. On flights that did not have overhead storage, commuter type flights, the staff was good about holding the rods in the front of the plane and I would pick them up on the way out. My guess is that whatever airline you use on the way to Alaska understand about fly fishermen and their rods and would be accommodating, it is getting to that connecting flight that may be the problem.

Each airline makes there own rules as regards to personal items, so a phone call or visit to their web site would be advisable.

Sorry I cannot give you a better answer.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I think the rods are ok but agree with VAHunter,not sure the three piece case meets criteria. The 4 piece should be good to go. Tape them all together to make them one item.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Traveled to AK with several 4pc rods back in August, as my carryon. Flew American & Alaskan with no issues whatsoever.
Alaskan has a special exclusion for carry-on rods, forgiving excess length charges. Easy to find in their website as you should be firm on the details.
As I booked the entire flight via Alaskan, the American flights honored Alaskan policy.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Asked my brother in law who travels and fishes a lot. He said no problem for rods as carry on and no problem for the three piece. He said tape them together as one and put them in the back of the overhead. He said when space was an issue the stewardesses have put them in there coat closet.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I traveled to BC last year and carried on a 9.5' 2 piece tube. No problem.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get a larger diameter case to fit all your rods at once, it will be far easier to deal with and smaller, which will be FAR, FAR more important in the smaller planes and boats you will ultimately travel in.

Fishing the Kisaralik?

Flew to Patagonia (Argentina) in March with rods as carry-on and made it all the way to the last flight from BA south, and got stopped coming north at the Argentina end.

Had my most important fly boxes stolen from my luggage, so make sure to fly with them in hand, which is not a problem with TSA.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have flown a lot in (NC, FL, Utah, Montana) and out of the country (Belize 2x) and usually carry 3, 4 piece rods. I duct tape the tubes together and slide them on top of my medium north face duffel that I carry on. Never had an issue. I may reconsider the 3 piece but you may not have a problem.

TSA has bitched about pliers multiple times but never actually taken them. -Elijah

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I have flown multiple times with 3 and 4 piece fly rods without any trouble. Immediately, after 9/11 they would not permit reels with fly line in place, as carry on, but that is no longer a problem. They still will not let you carry your flies in the cabin. Enjoy your trip.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Edod
I have flown multiple times with 3 and 4 piece fly rods without any trouble. Immediately, after 9/11 they would not permit reels with fly line in place, as carry on, but that is no longer a problem. They still will not let you carry your flies in the cabin. Enjoy your trip.

TSA has changed a lot. I routinely tie flies while flying. They allow small scissors and other tying tools... and they have no problems with hooks or flies in the cabin.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 45 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,127
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.